Foam Anubis Helmet and Noble Armour build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pesty

I started working on my Anubis helmet a month ago and other than weathering i'm done. I probably could've picket an easier helmet as a starter, I've got no experience of building these so I'm pretty happy. You guys are inspirational and I'll be looking here for tips and help. Any negative feedback will be met with a Grav hammer to the kneecaps! ;)

Started with the diagram, no idea if this is the way to go, but i find it easier to stick parts together as full pages then cut them.
received_491962174877294.jpeg

received_2240573389372222.jpeg

Cut the material into the foam, some angled cuts didn't work out that well, but seems to have been okay.
received_2467724273258660.jpeg

Started to stick together with hot glue. I know that there are better glues for doing this, but I can't find the time to wait for cement glue to get tacky. Hot glue on, sealed on the inside later.
received_2175493005837660.jpeg

received_478089512996490.jpeg

Stage one complete
received_479923499430593.jpeg

I coated the helmet in plasti dip, damn it make a massive improvement straight away
IMG_20190803_164054_resized_20190807_114625933.jpg

Followed up by some spray paint prep
received_2374154329523403.jpeg

Then finally added my beloved purple
received_217797125802407.jpeg

I wanted to add the anubis detailing as foam but at this point i'll just do it with paint. for future i'll prepare the details as part of the build of foam.
received_2316504091998429.jpeg

And lastly the visor. Even though I'm not happy with it entirely, I'm happy enough for a first build. I know there are techniques that would be better suited to making a visor but a motorcycle visor cut into three pieces will do for now.
received_643665366122817.jpeg

Next is on to the armour. Will update in the near future :) Thanks for your time :)

That turned out great! How sturdy is it because that foam looks somewhat thin, and the visor looks like it worked out quite well

The visor looks cool from the front, from the side that little gap is only really going to be noticed by me.

It's pretty sturdy, inside is loads of glue and more foam to stick it all together. I've also inserted a hard hat with a fan attached to keep me cool, holds it all in place.

Here's one tip that will help loads. Beveled edges are your friend. It creates nice flush corners and bends.
20190807_114833.jpg

I did the same thing in just layering and not beveling. One major drawback of doing it that way is it will throw off the dimensions of the piece and will cause gaps and even warping because parts don't meet up like they should.

Last edited:
Thank you. I bevelled some edges and not others and ended up messing up some having to redo them. I'm planning another after this one, but for now I'll keep at it. Armour is underway but damn its a big bit

Thanks gain for the feedback, I'll try to put it into practice

Here's one tip that will help loads. Beveled edges are your friend. It creates nice flush corners and bends.
View attachment 275550
I did the same thing in just layering and not beveling. One major drawback of doing it that way is it will throw off the dimensions of the piece and will cause gaps and even warping because parts don't meet up like they should.
Very smart, A small tip, it is definitely not suggested as there are much more efficient ways to bevel but sometimes if I forget to bevel an edge(interior) I will take a rotor tool to that edge to get it to the right angle. (assuming its a mountain fold). Obviously a clean cut is better, but this has saved me a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back