Any1 Bulding Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokr2000

hey evry1

i am making an Ar from wood but don't know if thats the best material. Also i wanna build the marine armor from H3. If anyone has some tips for me on how to make them and whats the best material please reply.

Thanx

BTW I do not have any pics right now so please dont reply on that because im still working on some pics

thanx.

Ask LeeKegan for advice on the AR. He has some AMAZING wooden weapons that he molds from.

As for the marine armor, I hate to say it, but read the stickies. That's generally what we all learned from, so I'd start there as well. There's no single "best" material. They all have their pluses and minuses. For instance, cardboard is dirt cheap, but harder (but not impossible) to get the level of detail that some members are able to achieve with other methods. Polyester resin, fiberglass, and Bondo is the tried-and-true method around here, but I personally can't use them because my wife is highly allergic to the fumes. Then there are the hot glue, aqua resin, Smooth Cast, etc. methods, not to mention sculpting in clay and molding your armor from that. So like I said, read the stickies. ;)

Hopefully a veteran wood modeler will chime in, but my [educated but untested] suggestion would be that soft woods are going to be your best bet, like balsa wood, bass wood, or even pine [if price is a big concern]. The softer woods will generally be able to be worked easier. Harder woods will hold a smoother surface finish, and will be stronger and more resistant to dents and knicks, but will be heavier and much harder to work with (sanding, carving, and cutting will take significantly more time).

Good luck!

JSwift said:
Also MDF is a good material to use

....and before the next question is asked

MDF

Really? I've always had trouble cutting and carving it, and haven't had much luck sanding it very smooth. Why do you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back