Anyone else here like WWII planes as much as I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toacrabman

I love WWII planes, and i pretty much know everything about war, and the things used in war, all the way from basic history to experimental weapons that are just being de-classified now. Also, id have to say my favorites are, the Fw-190-D9, Spitfire Mk XV, the Ju-87 and 88,
the La-5, the MiG-3, the B-17, B-24 Liberator, the Lancaster, the He-111 and 177, the Ki-84,the Ki-44 Shoki, and one of my favorites the Me-262, along with other odd planes like the p-38, Bv-141, and basically all the experimental stuff. Any of you have a favorite, or are any of you into model planes, as I have an extensive collection of 1/72nd's.

I love those. The above list is a summary. I think ive modeled 5 times more than that list. I actually saw one at Seymour Johnson airforce base. Then i lol'd at Seymour Johnson (see more johnson XD)

I alway's thought the Blohm und Voss 141B was a cool design, has inspired me to make crazy models in the past. That's just me, the more outragous and bizzare the design, the more I like it. Take the PAWS 20 Neopup for example. Crazy. I'm gonna build that one of these days...

not a big spit fan. Maybe it's because the british adore the things so much... I'd much rather have the Hawker hurricane.
P-40: gotta love it. It looks tough.
P-47: duh, winning. strap the biggest engine onto a fighter that you can.
Me-163: Rocket-powered death trap, both for the pilot and the enemy. still awesome.
XB-42 Mixmaster: Epic airplane. pure and simple.
F4U corsiar: Gull wings FTW!

I ahve some model aircraft, but I've been slacking off. I've been leaning towards my treadhead side... :p But I am building a Classic Airframes P-40 (1/24th) horribly innacurate monster, a lot of work, but it promises to look cool... once I finish scratchbuilding the stupid cockpit.

Eh, it's iconic. What can you say? That's like saying you don't like Halo because Xboxfags adore it so much. :p

P-47s are somethin' else to see, in person. My dad used to work at the Cavanaugh Air Museum, near where I live, and they've got a respectable collection of warbirds. Looking back, it almost seems like nothing to see a P-51, a P-47, an F4U, and a Spitfire all in the same place, to me. Which is a weird feeling, knowing those planes. I saw the Thunderbolt flying, once, and, it left me awestruck. That airframe is all about horsepower.

You know, I just remembered the Me-109 had a cannon in the center of its prop. How crazy an idea is that? xD

The B-29's my big moma ;) If i had lived back then i would have loved to have flown one of those, maybe even a hell diver for the navy :)

My dad's a massive fan of WWII aviation, I was born and raised on this stuff. His favorite plane is the P-47, and his favorite WWII pilot is Robert Johnson (knew these facts before I could walk). I spent many, many hours in my tween years reading Flight Journal magazine, but by the time I was actually old enough to research aircraft on my own, I was sick of WWII; so I'm more of a jet guy. My hands-down favorite plane is the F-4 Phantom, and my favorite flyer is Robin Olds. He ended his career flying Phantoms, but he started flying P-38s and Mustangs. I highly recommend his book, Fighter Pilot, to anyone interested in aviation.

Love the old war planes the F4U corsair is my fav small plane but I really like the bombers. The B-17 and the Lancaster are my favs there. The Lancaster mainly cause my home town has one in the war plane museum and during the summer I would see it out flying. For $3000 (taxable donation) they take you up for an hour flight. And every winter they park it in the hanger and rebuild the engines.

I have the extreme pleasure every year that the air field I work at has a WWII weekend. I think it is one of the largest fly-ins on the east coast. Plus it draws a huge crowd of ground reenactors and vehicles. This year I will try and get some pics of the birds lined up out front and drop them online. Last year worked the night shift and was walking around and found some young couple getting busy at the wheel of one of the bombers. Not every day you can say you got lucky under a piece of history like that!

I love all WWII planes too. My favorites are P51D Mustang and Me 109. And who can forget P38 Lighting with Bong in the Pacific. The bombers were cool too. My only wish is if I could hear a real P51D Allison engine and see it fly.

I absoultely LOVE the p-40. So much that i painted my old bike like it!

n707547202_1946485_7117.jpg

Its even got the kill markers on the tank and pin-up art under the teeth....man i loved that plane/

I absoultely LOVE the p-40. So much that i painted my old bike like it!

n707547202_1946485_7117.jpg

Its even got the kill markers on the tank and pin-up art under the teeth....man i loved that plane/

That's really cool shot. The photo reminds me of three of my favorite motorcycle riders, Freddie Spencer, Wayne Gardner and Randy Mamola. :)

freddie_spencer.jpg

Love them too. I have the plans to build a 1/9th scale B17. My Grandfather was a Belly gunner on a B17 during the war.

The british planes have to be my favorite. An interesting plane is the Hawker Swordfish. It was the only biplane to fight in WWII, and carried out several major actions. It was so slow, that in using the regular method of shooting in front of the plane to kill it, the bullets passed in before the plane got there.

It was a swordfish that hit the Bismarks rudder, and landed a torpedo on the ship itself. A great book to read about it is called A war in a string bag, a really cool account.

Then theres the book about Douglas Bader, a British ace who had no legs. Its called reach for the sky, its a true story.

I also love the p-47, and if you like that you might like the hawker Tempest V, seriuosly, the intake is wider than the fuselage!

I liked the Bf-109's prop gun too, up to 30mm. They did it because they couldnt mount it on top as it was too big to shoot through the prop's arc without hittin the blades, and if it was in the bf-109's incredibly thin wing it wouldnt hold alotta ammo. They basically just found a way to have it through the engine.

Id have to say some of my favorite aircraft guns are the cannons, and the flak cannons. The Stukas were converted to tankbusters and used two 37mm flak guns, (the Il-2's did the same thing, but alot less) and the Ju-88 could use 4! I also like the 14 sumthin mm they used on the bf-109. Its the biggest round they can fire through the prop, as mentioned earlier. :D

Yeah, I know the reasoning behind it. I can't remember, though, where on the engine block it ran through. It was like, just above the camshaft, as I recall, which led to some maintenance issues. Or am I thinking of another aircraft?

As far as bombers go, I have to say I like the much-overlooked B-25 Mitchell. And not just because it's got my last name :p The Cavanaugh Museum has one, and it always shocked me how they could do so much with that tiny bomber. I mean, all you have to say is Doolittle, you know?

Today while I was on my way to work I think I saw a B29 flying overhead. I could see the old air force US star logo on it. I haven't heard of any air shows in the area so it was flying around here I don't know. It was cool to see it flying.

I've been around a few times when a B-17 flew over on its way into or out of the local municipal airport.

That's another weird thing. My whole life, I've always been within a mile or 2 of an airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back