Anyone else here like WWII planes as much as I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so envious of you Patryn! My local navy base hosts a yearly air show but no where in driving distance is there a vintage WWII plane show. That would be so amazing to goto. Great shots you took as well!

Holy crap Patryn! Your airport must be pretty awesome. :p And is that FiFi? EPIC pics! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

Its a once a year thing and they say they are the largest fly-in/re-enacting in the US. Not sure of the validity of the statement but they do draw a nice crowd. They also draw in a fair amount of WWII vehicles but I didnt have enough time to go through the camps and find them since I had to start my shift. But yes it is very cool to see all of it come together. They do paid rides in one of the bombers, last I checked nose cone was $500 and other seats from 250-400.

Lol what about ventral. They are cramped but theyre cool, with a 360 view of under the aircraft. Nose is also cramped. Id actually prefer a waist position. Ive been in a few bombers and id say the most room in a b-17 is in the waist positions. Id prefer that as it would suck if the ventral turret got stuck. Did you know there was actually a kit to jettison the ball turret? It required 40 min. and alot of tools, and was nesscessary for belly landings.

If anybody goes to Charleston, South Carolina I'd like to recommend the U.S.S. Yorktown II.

They got fighters and WWII American naval planes.

I know a lot of my friends and I go there a lot.

I also live in charleston.

they have a Cold-war era submarine memorial, U.S.S. Clamagore SS* sorry not a SSN *, Coast guard cutter, various missiles and such on display *inert of coarse*, the York herself*duh!*, Destroyer.

They got a F-9 panther with the wings folded, awesome aircraft.

anyone been on the U.S.S. Midway in San Diego? My dad and I spent the ENTIRE day on that thing. We opened it up, and were the last visitors off. I took so many pics... The carrier was awesome, and the flight deck had a ton of planes. Everything from Tomcats to a Dauntless. It's right next to Star of India, can't miss it. If you're in the area, I HIGHLY recommend you visit it!

Im actually headed to the National Air and Space center next week, (got delayed because we fixed the pool), and maybe some other aircraft museum on the way there. I just need to figure out where it is.

big fan... for example:

83b61547.jpg

and

5eec6842.jpg

have a P51 still in the box i have not put together yet.. wife said i had to crash one before i could build another one. got about 9 rc planes in the garage..

I'm more of a WWI plane kinda guy, my dad's got a Fokker D.VII he's been working on since I was born, actually he's finally getting to the point where it can fly! But I do enjoy the B-17 Aluminum Overcast whenever it comes by! And the P-38 is my absolute fave World War II plane!

Id say some of my favorites are things like the P-38, B-17, Me-262, FW-190, and alot of the wierder german planes. I have relatives in both sides of the war.

So anyway I just got back from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, and the Uvar Hasley center or whatever its called and I saw about 30 different world war II era planes. Also some 10 soviet war era planes, and about 20 WWI planes. Id recomend the center instead of the smithsonian, the NAaSM only has the Zero, Spitfire, P-51, Mc. 202, some of a B-26B, a Bf-109 and its awesome engine, all of the different faction's flight suits, a Dauntless, a Wildcat, and some assorted small stuff and engines, not to mention the V-1. The center dwarfs this with its B-29 Enlola Gay, its Me-163 Komet, Arado-234, J1N1, the vast majority of a Heinschel 219, a small flying wing prototype and a piece of a bigger one, experimental helicopter, Loon missile(afterwar V-1 Copy), Ju-52 (airliner variant), early P-51 (after war racing plane), P-80, P-38, P-61, an aichia series seaplane, a kingfisher, a hellcat, a P-40, a Corsair, an Ohka (of course those are rare). They had everything but a russian WWII plane, which im pretty sure only Russia and parts of Europe have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back