Anyone interested in CNC for armor making should have a look at this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavier said:
thats only 2D...
Actually, it is 3D. 3-axis means left/right, forward/backward, and up/down, hence 3D. Read how it's built, and you would see that.

@Cheese - This is a couple months old or more bud. It might be in the Creation Discussion section if it's not buried somewhere deeper in the General Discussion. Sorry.

Either way this would only be useful for rather small parts. You could make it bigger, but you'll run into some accuracy problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnum. Please know what your talking about before you try to make others look bad.

It is up/down then left/right/forward/backwards. Thats >TWO< planes. When talking about CNC this translates to axises. The tutorial (which i read months ago) shows how to make a 2 axis CNC. When a CNC can tilt is when it becomes 3D or 3 axises. Point is. That would be good for making a hand plate. Nothing much more.

From the link:

With it you can do 2 Dimentional engraving and PC board etching and 3D milling and modeling in Foam, Wood, Plastic and other soft materials.

No need for argument here. Until someone here builds it and attempts to mill some parts, its all conjecture.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier @ May 7 2008, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Magnum. Please know what your talking about before you try to make others look bad.

It is up/down then left/right/forward/backwards. Thats >TWO< planes. When talking about CNC this translates to axises. The tutorial (which i read months ago) shows how to make a 2 axis CNC. When a CNC can tilt is when it becomes 3D or 3 axises. Point is. That would be good for making a hand plate. Nothing much more.</div>
Ok, gloves off, I'm really tired of you pretending to know all anyway.

CNC
Movements
The most basic motion for a controller is to move the machine tool along a linear path from one point to another. Some machine tools can only do this in XY, and have to accept changes in Z separately. Some have two further axes of rotation to control the orientation of the cutter, and can move them simultaneously with the XYZ motion. Lately 4, and 5 axis machines have become popular. The 2 additional axies allow for the work surface or medium to be rotated around X and Y. For example, a 4-axis machine can move the tool head in XY and Z directions, and also rotate the medium around the X or Y axis, similar to a lathe. This is called the A or B axis in most cases.

Good enough or should I give you some visual aid too?

Next time, YOU better know what you're talking about before YOU try making someone look bad.

Sean Bradley said:
From the link:
No need for argument here. Until someone here builds it and attempts to mill some parts, its all conjecture.
Thanks for the quote from the link there Sean. At least someone knows how to read.

It sucks when someone tries to tell you everything you went to school for is wrong.

If you live in a 3d world and make a 2d thing and hold it up. Can you see it from all the sides?

I think it looks use-full. EZ to up size.

I use the up and down setting to get 3d out of it. This looks to do the same. Just slower to reset the up and down setting

For what it is worth.

Rob-3378

23Magnum said:
@Cheese - This is a couple months old or more bud. It might be in the Creation Discussion section if it's not buried somewhere deeper in the General Discussion. Sorry.

Oh, well, blimey.. :cautious:

Either way this would only be useful for rather small parts. You could make it bigger, but you'll run into some accuracy problems.

I was thinking of scaling it up. The biggest pieces it would have to cut would be the head/chest/back pieces.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier @ May 7 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It is up/down then left/right/forward/backwards. Thats >TWO< planes. When talking about CNC this translates to axises. The tutorial (which i read months ago) shows how to make a 2 axis CNC. When a CNC can tilt is when it becomes 3D or 3 axises. Point is. That would be good for making a hand plate. Nothing much more.</div>

Drat...guess I didn't read carefully enough; although I thought I saw something about 3D in there... :rolleyes

EDIT: Ok, I watched the youtube video of it and it's going up and down some times, what does that mean?

Wouldn't that make it 3D? o_O

LaughingCheese said:
EDIT: Ok, I watched the youtube video of it and it's going up and down some times, what does that mean?

Wouldn't that make it 3D? o_O
It's 3D, trust me.

Problem with it though is still detail. You could probably make some rough cuts, but finishing details would have to be done by hand. I still think you'll be hard pressed to scale it large enough for the chest/back pieces, and stay accurate, at least not for $200. Maybe another $100 or so, but I wouldn't skimp if you want a decent machine.

The best example I could show you of a larger scale mill like this in action is Adam's Secret Project videos. Those are really rough cuts, and with other tool bits you could get more defined, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Good luck if you try building it.

As someone that has worked with and has used a CNC for his job(was a CNC operator for a casting company), also now contracts work to be done on CNC.
Magnum is correct. Yes this would be considered a 3D CNC machine.
A simple way to think of it is, 3 motors, 3D machine.
1 motor to move up/down.
1 motor to move left/right
1 motor to move side/side

if it did not move up/down, this then would be a 2D machine.

to make a 4 axis machine, we could add a second motor to the drill tool. this would then rotate it.
to further add to make a 5 axis. add a motor to the table to maybe... spin the table.
and yes there is a such thing as a 6 axis CNC machine.
(the rotation of the drill bit does NOT count as a motor to move around the part. This is the cutting motor.)

hope this help take out the some of the disputes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back