Anyone know how to extract the textures from a .pdo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioactiveMicrobe

I've got a file here that I want to lighten up, because my printer prints the parts too darkly.

But all I got in the download was the .pdo file, so is there any way to extract the texture from it so I can lighten it in Photoshop or something?

There is a multi color box at the top left on the tool bar of pepakura. If you click that it should remove any textures or colors added to the pep file.

There is a multi color box at the top left on the tool bar of pepakura. If you click that it should remove any textures or colors added to the pep file.
haha, I know that, I mean, the texture is too dark for my printer, so I need to lighten it, but I don't have the original texture file, so I need to know if there's some way to extract it from the pdo.

The textures are preserved in the pdo from when the model was imported from a 3d modeling program. Pepakura converts the texture information into raw data, which is basically coordinates for colored pixels. Unfortunately, most of the time this data can not be recovered by conventional means (like opening the file in notepad and removing the 3d info and saving as .jpg).

Solution 1:
You can preview the material in the "Texture setting" window, change your desktop resolution to the lowest it can go, take a screenshot, then restore your desktop resolution, open the screeny in your image editor (photoshop) and adjust the image, crop out the texture, and save it. Open the model in pep, go to Texture setting, specify texture, and open the new texture that you saved. The texture will be more pixelated than the original, but I don't know another way to do it.

Solution 2:
Most printers have a print quality setting, reduce the print quality (dpi) and you may get the result you are looking for without losing detail in the texture.

Solution 3:
Find the modeler and beg for the texture.

There is a forum for game developers called XeNTaX, They may be able to write a script to extract the materials from pdo files. They also have several tools to rip game models/textures/audio/video (educational purposes only, don't post/ask for game content).

You could print them to a PDF printer like PDFCreator and then use Acrobat or another PDF editor to adjust the colors before printing.

I have the code to extract textures from a PDO file but I have not had time to type it up(the code is in a texture in a PDO file, someone's idea of a joke).

try to open the pdo file with total commander or something, in it is a map file with it in there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back