Anyone use a scroll saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some foam builds on THERPF.com that used a scroll saw to cut out their parts. It's definitely worth getting one.

I am getting one at the beginning of this next month (on the 9th if I remember correctly). I am really excited to see how this will work with EVA. I just like the idea that I will be able to do really clean cuts for sliced weapons :)

I am getting one at the beginning of this next month (on the 9th if I remember correctly). I am really excited to see how this will work with EVA. I just like the idea that I will be able to do really clean cuts for sliced weapons :)

My thoughts exactly.

Ooh. We have one of these in the wood shop. I've seen some beautiful things done with them, never thought about using one with the foam. Like I need another reason to get one of these...

I can't remember how well our scroll saw cut foam. If you do get it make sure you get a really fine toothed blade, otherwise I think you will be ripping out big chunks.

You might be better off just getting a hot-wire scroll saw. Although I never heard of anyone using them on EVA foam.

Just watched the video.

Totally adding it to my list of things to buy.

I wonder if my roommates will be excited or pissed when they walk in one day and I have a 3D-Printer, CNC, Lasercutter, Scrollsaw, and a Rotocasting table in place of the couch....

Just watched the video.

Totally adding it to my list of things to buy.

I wonder if my roommates will be excited or pissed when they walk in one day and I have a 3D-Printer, CNC, Lasercutter, Scrollsaw, and a Rotocasting table in place of the couch....

You would really be setting up shop lol.

I use a scroll saw to cut EVA foam mats (I use metal cutting blades, fine tooth blades work best for me). I operate mine on a relatively high rpm setting, and feed the material through slowly and carefully to get clean edges. Very important to make sure the foot is adjusted properly to not bind the material when feeding through, but not so loose the foam is able to move up and down with the blade, which will cause the cut seam to be rough. This will also create a bit of foam dust, so using it inside is not ideal. And as always, you will being using your hands close to a sharp fast moving blade, use gloves and caution.

I use a scroll saw to cut EVA foam mats (I use metal cutting blades, fine tooth blades work best for me). I operate mine on a relatively high rpm setting, and feed the material through slowly and carefully to get clean edges. Very important to make sure the foot is adjusted properly to not bind the material when feeding through, but not so loose the foam is able to move up and down with the blade, which will cause the cut seam to be rough. This will also create a bit of foam dust, so using it inside is not ideal. And as always, you will being using your hands close to a sharp fast moving blade, use gloves and caution.

Man for some reason I thought you were talking about a band saw all this time, stupid me.

Most of the blades you will find for scroll saws are small toothed because scroll saws are made for little projects that you only need to cut through thin pieces of wood. I think the optimal tooth ratio for wood was 6-10 teeth for the thickness of the piece you are cutting. And of course metal is a lot more than that.

I have a lot of experience running most woodworking tools and machinery and I would say that it's not always a good idea to wear gloves. You definitely don't want to wear them while using a lath or belt sander because all it take is a little grip and your entire hand goes with the glove.

I wouldn't use gloves on something this fine. Just watch your hands. don't worry if you bump the blade, they have such small teeth that all it will give you is a scratch. But still be carefull.

I can't remember how well our scroll saw cut foam. If you do get it make sure you get a really fine toothed blade, otherwise I think you will be ripping out big chunks.

You might be better off just getting a hot-wire scroll saw. Although I never heard of anyone using them on EVA foam.

I have a hot wire scroll table and it works great on foam of any kind. Problem is that if you move to slow it will melt the foam too much. You have to be very steady and make sure you don't push or pull against the wire to much. Best feature is the straightness of the cuts on thick material.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I have a lot of experience running most woodworking tools and machinery and I would say that it's not always a good idea to wear gloves. You definitely don't want to wear them while using a lath or belt sander because all it take is a little grip and your entire hand goes with the glove.

I wouldn't use gloves on something this fine. Just watch your hands. don't worry if you bump the blade, they have such small teeth that all it will give you is a scratch. But still be carefull.

Thank you, I'm glad someone said it.

Gloves are for when you are using hand tools, not when you are operating powered tools.

In regards to pushing the back end of a really small piece through the blade, the best thing you can do is put another piece behind it to push it. Just keep a small block of wood handy.

Gloves are for when you are using hand tools, not when you are operating powered tools.

In regards to pushing the back end of a really small piece through the blade, the best thing you can do is put another piece behind it to push it. Just keep a small block of wood handy.

Good idea but would be a bit difficult because you would still need to hold down your main piece on a scroll saw. I never had a problem running a scroll saw with nothing else but your two hands. I still hit the blade from time to time but it's no big deal. I've used a scroll saw mainly for wood inlays which requires great precision and getting your hands close, but sense you are going to use it for EVA foam you should not have any problems being a new user.

Yeah, it's mostly a trick I've learned for large band saws and circular table saws.
Figured I would at least mention it as it can save fingers.

But yeah, it's probably not necessary with a scroll saw.

I'm glad someone mentioned it as well. I've been caught trying to play safe for the forum kids, but I never wear gloves using my scroll saw, and the quick safety conscience in the back of my mind kicked in when posting.

It is a correct safety procedure to wear eye protection and a dust mask, do not wear gloves.

I have a scroll Saw and you need to a variable speed control and a drill bit that is a little larger than the blade for when you do certain cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back