Apocalypse's Mk Vi Helmet Wip Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apocalypse

Jr Member
Hey all, I'm working on my first project(YAY!), and I figured I would start my post, so I could get some questions answered in an attempt to keep moving.

Questions and Concerns:

First, I live in a dorm, so I dont really have a yard or garage where I can store this to dry etc. I know I can buy non-toxic aquaresin, but what about fiberglass and bondo/rondo? Also, is it enough if I just crack windows in our study lounge, have a fan blowing out the window when they dry, but I apply everything on an outside table? I would prefer not to poison my entire floor :D

Next, On my actual semi-pepped helmet(pictures below), the front, mouth area is really messy because of the awkward folds(Pic 4), does anyone have tips? If you notice, its also lopsided, I worked from front right, around back and front again, is there a better way to do this so they are even? Like maybe working mirrored front to back? Also, the front symetrical holes(pic 3), there are going to be gaps at the corners because the pieces is small, and it also shows that its supposed to connect to a higher piece, behind what I have now, what have others done?

Lastly, I made all the folds as instructed, but it doesnt look nearly as sharp and correctly shaped as others have done. I know the resin+bondo helps a little, but I'm curious how the pro's do it, any tips?

EDIT: Oh! I remember another one. For Halo Reach, the Spartan that has the skull spray-painted on the visor of his helmet(I dont know enough lore to know names =/), which helmet is that? I thought it might be SPI, but the pep file has a very rectagular visor...

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

I know I have more questions but this is all I can remember for now, if one of them needs clarification I'd be happy to explain better/differently, and with pictures, just let me know!

Thanks eveyone!

-Apoc

Number 1: In my opinion, resin needs to dry somewhere humans do not habitate. My first helmet, i messed up the resin/hardener ration and left it "to dry." After seven days of stinking in my ventilated garage, I realized just how smelly the stuff can get. You don't want to mess with those fumes in the house, even when you do it right.

Number 2: Looking at your helmet, I see two things. The first is that you, like me, struggle with the valley folds a little. And I am not a hundred percent positive, but are you scoring your mountain folds? I'm using the pic at the bottom as reference, between folds 257 and 258. Light scoring for those will make things cleaner, and I'm at the point now where I use a ruler and score the back of my cardstock for valley folds. (I just couldn't get them done well any other way.)You can also look into the "pen" method in one of the stickies. The other thing is some of your flaps are glued a little crooked. 279 and 65 are my references for that. In all honesty, you are off to a good start, but if I am correct about the scoring, that will clean up 85% of the appearance for that sharp clean look. The other 15% will come from experience.

Hey Tyklon, Thanks for the heads up with resin, I might have to find somewhere safe in the university's art department or something along those lines. As for your second set of points, I'm not sure of what you mean by "scoring". When I do my folds I use a metal ruler and line it up with the mark, and use my exacto knife blade to help start to bend it over my ruler, and afterwards I use my hands to complete the fold. I started with the front so maybe that was a bad choice for my first pep folds ever. As for the miss-aligned glue, yea, I had trouble applying, connecting, and then holding it in place with the hot glue gun, so some of them were off/tweaked. I intended this to be a sort of test helmet anyways, and while my hopes were really high( :D ) my expectations were more realistic, more of as a learning experience.

I'm going to try to finish pepping it tomorrow, so I'll post pics then. I'm still open to comments, suggestions, and answers if people have them!

Thanks,

-Apoc

It looks to me like you need to make your folds a little better, the best way i have found to do folds is to place your ruler on the fold line,

then take a pen and press down firmly and write a line over the the fold line. (this will score the paper)

i like to use a blue or black pen for mountain folds and a red pen for valley folds.

as for hot gluing, when you apply the hot glue, lay a bead of glue then smooth it out with the tip of the glue gun, if it isn't just

right you can reheat it with the tip of the glue gun and readjust the flaps of paper.

Update! Alright, It wasnt as soon as I thought it would be, because I fractured a joint on my pinky on my left hand so its been a little hard. It's certainly not perfect, or the pep quality I want for my main suit, but it will be a great practice helmet. I still have some holes to fill in, and the bottom neck area support pieces to put in, but other than that its fully pepped. Also, its definetly a little snug.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

I still have little idea where I will be able to resin/fiberglass/bondo, but I'll update for anyone watching when I figure it out.

-Apoc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back