ARCHIVE ANNOUNCEMENT: Your Help Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
Greetings all.

I'll preface this thread by making it clear what this thread is not intended to be, before getting into the meat of the matter:

This is not a request for you lot to do my job for me. I realise that there is still a lot of work for me to do regarding content population within the Archive, and I'm slowly plugging away at it as my time allows me to. I still have almost 500 files still to upload to the Archive - not counting raw file extracts I have yet to re-organise and upload for the community. There is, frankly, a lot of work to still be done to get the Archive populated with files.

WITH THAT SAID:

As some of you may, or may not, be aware: the old 405th 4Shared Archive is currently non-operational. All attempts to contact the curator of that particular archive have, as of yet, met with failure, and at this point it's looking more and more likely that whatever content was hosted on the 4Shared Archive is lost.

This is where you, the community, comes in.

As the 405th Archive becomes more populated, we're going to see more files from the 4Shared Archive on our own servers. However, there are certain files that I, personally, don't have in my backlog for upload. Therefore, this is my appeal to the 405th Community:

I need you, the community, to work together to source any and all 'lost' files not on our own 405th Archive. As I plug away at clearing my own backlog of files to upload, the pool of 'lost' content will become smaller, but there will still be content I'm unable to upload due to not having it myself. All modellers and unfolders are therefore encouraged to review their own archives against the 405th Archive and notify me of any 'missing' files that I haven't uploaded. This also applies to current files being created within the community: put simply, if it's not up on the Archive, please let me know. Either I have it and have yet to upload it, or I don't and it needs to be sourced.

This project is not intended to supersede the 'Pepakura Requests' topic - requests will not be fulfilled in this thread. If you have a REQUEST, please make it in the relevant thread. However, if you do have a file not currently uploaded, and you think it should be, let me know and I'll do what I can for you.

I have the entirety of the "Reach Database [2012 Edition]" downloaded.
Unfortunately, it was the only Archive I downloaded the entire pack for, but I do have a random assortment of other files.

Correction: I also have "Halo - Assorted [2012 Edition]"

Looking at the current state of some of the uploads in our 405th Archive, I am prompted to want to clean up some of the Reach files.
For instance, we have several different unfold variations for some of Rundown's files, wouldn't it make since to have a single download location for a particular model and have all of the unfolds listed within it... especially since we can upload more than one file per link.

I have the entirety of the "Reach Database [2012 Edition]" downloaded.
Unfortunately, it was the only Archive I downloaded the entire pack for, but I do have a random assortment of other files.

Correction: I also have "Halo - Assorted [2012 Edition]

I also have those - Art was kind enough to have given me a download pack of the 4Shared Database before it went down, but in order to save space on my armoury HDD, I deleted the .ZIP file after unpacking it, and I've been deleting the contents as I've uploaded them.

Looking at the current state of some of the uploads in our 405th Archive, I am prompted to want to clean up some of the Reach files.
For instance, we have several different unfold variations for some of Rundown's files, wouldn't it make since to have a single download location for a particular model and have all of the unfolds listed within it... especially since we can upload more than one file per link.

I'll consider consolidating those files - after I've actually got the meat of the upload work done. Remember: get it functional, then make it look nice.

I also have those - Art was kind enough to have given me a download pack of the 4Shared Database before it went down, but in order to save space on my armoury HDD, I deleted the .ZIP file after unpacking it, and I've been deleting the contents as I've uploaded them.
So what are you missing? Assuming you remember.

I'll consider consolidating those files - after I've actually got the meat of the upload work done. Remember: get it functional, then make it look nice.
Agreed, it might also help the armor in the Standard folder to create folders for each section of armor:
Arm - Bicep
Arm - Forearm
Arm - Handplate
Body - Torso
Body - Abdomen
Body - Cod/Belt
Leg - Thigh
Leg - Shin
Leg - Boot

But again, get done whatever you need to first! :)

So what are you missing? Assuming you remember.

Hell if I know. I went from almost a solid gigabyte to half that - that's a lot of files to be working with.

Agreed, it might also help the armor in the Standard folder to create folders for each section of armor

Hell no I'm not gonna do that. No offence, but the Archive is already cluttered enough with sub-folders, and constantly adding new ones is going to be an absolute pain in the arse - both for me, and for the end user to navigate. I appreciate that there's a need to keep things organised, and we're trying to do that as we populate the Archive with new content, but there's a line that has to be drawn where we find out how organised we can be without making it a nightmare for people to find the files they're looking for.

Currently we're looking at somewhere in the region of... I'm going to estimate here, but probably around the 300 mark, for the number of categories/sub-categories I have to manage. And let me tell you, going in there, making sure each one has the right permissions, making sure everything is in the right order, and adding sub-folders if needed... it's a pain. The last time I had to go and do any major work to the categories was when the Regiments were finalised, and some Regiments didn't have the right permission settings. Now imagine having to go in, cross-reference the current settings versus the settings that need to be there, and save any alterations that need to be made, over three hundred folders. I'm not kidding you, I almost gave up and became an alcoholic hermit.

So, yet again: no. Not now, probably not later on either. I'm happy to consolidate files to contain multiple unfolds if need be, but there's no way, no how, that you're going to make me start sub-dividing the groups yet further, then move all the files to their relevant groups, and then check the permissions on those groups again. Put simply, I'd rather gouge my own eyeballs out with an ice cream scoop. :p

So, yet again: no. Not now, probably not later on either. I'm happy to consolidate files to contain multiple unfolds if need be, but there's no way, no how, that you're going to make me start sub-dividing the groups yet further, then move all the files to their relevant groups, and then check the permissions on those groups again. Put simply, I'd rather gouge my own eyeballs out with an ice cream scoop. :p

Lmao, fair enough, perhaps we should simply have a guideline for naming files then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back