Arctic Spartan Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montique

So for the cosplay competition at Megacon 2019 I had to to send progress photos of my costume, and since I already had them I figured I'd post a thread here. My plan is to make a Halo Reach spartan like the one pictured below but with an arctic camo paint job instead of pure white. Because hand painting camo is kinda beyond my skill set I turned to hydro-dipping, but since getting the proper station and all the films would cost more than I'd like I used "The King of Randoms" method of using spray paint in a bucket. I started with only painted a few pieces in order to test the concept but overall it turned out fairly well.
IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG

I also painted the chest piece because I couldn't add the mods until it was painted, and I painted helmet so I could install the visor.
IMG_1566.JPGIMG_1594.JPGIMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG

And these are all the pieces I've built but haven't painted.
IMG_1615.JPGIMG_1617.JPGIMG_1621.JPG

Last edited:
Well I'll mostly stick to the reference material in terms of adding mods to the armor itself. My biggest issue is with the scarf on the chest piece. I don't have any experience with weathering and the paint job on this armor is too finicky to experiment on so I'll mostly leave it as is. I do however add black lines to give the paint more depth.

So for the cosplay competition at Megacon 2019 I had to to send progress photos of my costume, and since I already had them I figured I'd post a thread here. My plan is to make a Halo Reach spartan like the one pictured below but with an arctic camo paint job instead of pure white. Because hand painting camo is kinda beyond my skill set I turned to hydro-dipping, but since getting the proper station and all the films would cost more than I'd like I used "The King of Randoms" method of using spray paint in a bucket. I started with only painted a few pieces in order to test the concept but overall it turned out fairly well. View attachment 269560View attachment 269561

I also painted the chest piece because I couldn't add the mods until it was painted, and I painted helmet so I could install the visor.
View attachment 269562View attachment 269563View attachment 269564View attachment 269565
View attachment 269567
View attachment 269569

And these are all the pieces I've built but haven't painted.
View attachment 269570View attachment 269571View attachment 269572
Man, if i were to enter i wouldn't stand a chance!

What day you going? I would love to see this work of artup close!

I'm going on Friday with my dad and Saturday by myself. I'll definitely be spending time at the 405th booth.
Noooooo! I was supposed ti go the whole weekend but a friend talked me into going to my school bands end of the year trip and I didnt realise it was on Saturday, and there are no refunds D:

I saw you walk past me on friday, but the crowd was so thick i couldnt get your attention and this was the only picture i could get...
20190517_125239.jpg

The suit looks soooo good! I just love how unique and organic the paint is!
The holster is a little bulky but Dang did you pull this off good!

I saw you walk past me on friday, but the crowd was so thick i couldnt get your attention and this was the only picture i could get...
View attachment 270655

Wow....xXDashIVXx...that really clears up how close you were to him......crystal.......I feel like I was actually there...... Like, right next to you even........

View attachment 270655

I mean, you could have just yelled SPARTAN at the top of your lungs and I would have turned around. And yeah the holster is bulky but there aren't any cannon holsters for halo weapons, and designing something around the suppressed magnum that looks fluid would require more talent than I have.

So with 6 days left until HOD and everybody else posting what they're doing in prep, I guess I'll post what I've been working on. I decided to make a small modification to my arctic suit and build an EVA helmet to replace the ODST. I followed my usual method of paper model then foam, but this time I used contact cement for the whole project instead of hot glue, which I used for literally all my other armor pieces.
IMG_1699.JPGIMG_1697.JPGIMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1702.JPG

All that's left are the small armor mods, visor installation, and my special touch to fit the rest of the suit.

I don't fully understand how you're painting this, but it looks really good! Keep it up!

Had to edit my post, at first I thought your final pics were from the game. Great work!

Montique you hydro dip your armour don't you?
There are many different methods of hydro dipping, and it even has a few dif fe rent names. I especially love the ones with the deer skulls that have been spray painted. I shudder just thinking about it!

I tried doing hydrodipping a Damascus pattern for my prop karambit, but something went wrong. It may have been the type of spraypaint I was using but it just shrank to the middle too fast and sort of melded together. Those films are really neat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back