Armor surface texture

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

Just something that Ive realized that I guess can be helpful to those trying to make their halo 3 version MC armor as accurate as possible. Ive always known that the armor surface texture is not smooth, but has a bumpy "rough" appearence to it. Knowing Ive seen that kind of texture before, but having a huge brainfart then, Ive just realized where you can find this in the real world. I have a kevlar helmet (courtesy of the Army) and I pulled back the camo cover, and on the topside of the helmet, you can see that there is this special coating (not sure if its fire-retardent paint or whatever) which I think the texture resembles that of most area's of MC's armor, possibly moreso on the helmet.
Dont get me wrong, its not a perfect resemblence, but its the closest thing Ive seen so far.

Here are screens from bungie's website, from the trailer for comparison:

http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset...=21&item=98

http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset...=21&item=92

http://www.bungie.net/projects/halo3/asset...=21&item=99

My actual kevlar helmet:

001-31.jpg

Need thoughts/opinions. Wanted to add that maybe if anyone knows of a material which could be used to replicate this kind of texture, or even know what exactly is used to coat the kevlar helmets with, I guess could possibly be used on replica armor to mimick this detail.

-tubachris

real armor is going to be bumpy reduces the shinyness and glare that would give away your position. MC has a bright shiny gold visor, so it throws that out the window (not to mention lights on the armor).

But, I see where you're coming from.

Adam said:
real armor is going to be bumpy reduces the shinyness and glare that would give away your position. MC has a bright shiny gold visor, so it throws that out the window (not to mention lights on the armor).

But, I see where you're coming from.

Yea, thats very true, not very good for concealment. However, I think the reason they added the gold/bronze visor, is because remember, the suit doubles for space, if you remeber in halo 2 when you have to go outside the station in the begining, so Im pretty sure that was influenced by the familiar astronaut visor, to protect the face/eyes from the sun. As for the lights, I have no idea..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea there was an early screenshot of the brighter green version MC and the armor had a really obvious "concrete-type" texture to it. it was very unpopular so they went back to the smoother armor and more olive green color. the in game texture is actually really smooth. The way i see it is, the Master Chiefs armor is "future-state-of-the-art", and made of titanium alloy if i remeber correctly. i dunno, i just imagine Mjolnir armor to have a smoother surface. to me the texture doesnt fit the armor.

Now maybe on Marine armor.......

to get the textue you could probably use an epoxy-based paint on non-skid coating for like concrete steps. and then paint over that. acually you could probably get the coating in different colors.

Hey now i really like this idea.......

MandoMan531 said:
Yea there was an early screenshot of the brighter green version MC and the armor had a really obvious "concrete-type" texture to it. it was very unpopular so they went back to the smoother armor and more olive green color. the in game texture is actually really smooth. The way i see it is, the Master Chiefs armor is "future-state-of-the-art", and made of titanium alloy if i remeber correctly. i dunno, i just imagine Mjolnir armor to have a smoother surface. to me the texture doesnt fit the armor.

Now maybe on Marine armor.......

Well, from what I remember, the texture was still present even in the actual game. I think that its more visible because of the lighting effects from the trailer. But the actual game texture wasnt as profound as in the pics. I have a decent size MC poster in my room, which appears with the same texture as well

tubachris85x said:
Ah yea, maybe using a epoxy mix with sand

They have textured spray paint. You could use it as an under layer, then paint the green or whatever final color you are using over that. The final coat being applied over the textured paint would also help tone down the texture I think.

Darth Favre said:
They have textured spray paint. You could use it as an under layer, then paint the green or whatever final color you are using over that. The final coat being applied over the textured paint would also help tone down the texture I think.

Your right, I totally forgot about that. I think to make it look accurate, that you would sort of need to smooth parts of it out? It looks as if random spots are smoother then others

thanks now i have to look at my kevlar to see if i have the same texture

Im amazed you style have the bdu covers i just switched over to the acus

Spartan 051 said:
thanks now i have to look at my kevlar to see if i have the same texture

Im amazed you style have the bdu covers i just switched over to the acus

Im actually in the Army ROTC here at FSU. So we dont get the new stuff. However, I'll soon be joining the national guard, so I'll be able to get all te new stuff. I dont know about the ACU kevlars though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back