Armour Material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanJames87

Hi. I'm new and was wondering about a material that I can use for making some MJOLNIR armour. It has to be durable but also easy to shape and sculpt. I'm not looking on making any molds or anything first. I just wanna sculpt the final product out of this material. It also has to be inexpensive...my wallet isn't too deep. Any ideas?

Welcome James. If you look around the boards you will see that several people have made successful suits out of materials like paper mache and cardboard.

That's a good suggestion. But I wouldn't wanna use paper mache or cardboard. I would wanna actually sculpt it from something solid. But I probably should have made that known.

so im going to try and start with a layer of foam and the add onto that with other foam and then use some sort of material. polystyrene maybe. whats a material that would be good to paint on? i tired using cardboard but it seems like its too stiff and doesnt like to bend. i tried constructing the bracers and yea, i go sad after that and then i figured that foam would be better. so PM with ideas of things to put ontop of the foam plz :) it would be good to have a nice hard plstic layer over it if anyone knows of a polystyrene tutorial send me the link plz

WanderingRon1n said:
so im going to try and start with a layer of foam and the add onto that with other foam and then use some sort of material. polystyrene maybe. whats a material that would be good to paint on? i tired using cardboard but it seems like its too stiff and doesnt like to bend. i tried constructing the bracers and yea, i go sad after that and then i figured that foam would be better. so PM with ideas of things to put ontop of the foam plz :) it would be good to have a nice hard plstic layer over it if anyone knows of a polystyrene tutorial send me the link plz

Well I was thinking of using styrofoam but after sculpting it I would need some sort of resin since styrofoam on it own isn't exactly durable. And isn't polystyrene just a fancy word for styrofoam. Maybe I will use foam but then does anyone have suggestions for something I could use to cover it that will harden like plastic. (link please)

Last edited by a moderator:
polystyrene is a plastic like material and it does come in a foam form but it also comes in sheets or at least thats what ive read and seen

OK I have a main material for my armour and someone on the forum is even helping me. But I need some sort of undergarment for the armour. I've seen Under Armour and I went to Dicks but it can cost up to $150 and as I said my wallet isn't too deep. I was thinking Spandex and then just attaching the material I'm using for the main armour for details. I've heard of knock off Under Armour but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone help me out? If not I'll use the spandex it's a hell of a lot cheaper, and it seems like it'll work.

spandex could work. plus, i've found UA to be shiny anyways. Even just a tight cotton longsleeve turtleneck would work just find on a budget.

so i figured out what i am going to be doing now, im starting put making foam patterns for every part. then tracing and cutting them out of cardboard and covering that with fiberglass

You could try foam board. i havent heard of it until today when i went down to hobby lobby looking for mat board. I saw foamboard. it is thick and extremely flexible

you can try it but it well break easy so you have to back with something else the fiberglass well melt the foam (resin heats up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back