Army of two Paintball Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a project I'm kinda working on at the moment is an Army of Two mask...I'm really working on a suit of Jorge Spartan armor, and I'm going to use a pepped Army of Two mask to test out my fiberglassing skills. The mask itself is only an hour job, so it's not perfect quality, but it's good enough that if I don't mess up the fiberglass, I can use it for a costume.

Now, my idea was to turn it into a paintball mask. I asked a few people about doing this with a spartan suit, and one of the biggest problems with the idea that the paintballs could splinter the fiberglass causing damage to the wearer...so here's my idea...

Fiberglass the mask as normal, then line it with a tough steel mesh. This should not only reinforce the fiberglass, but also stop splinters getting through to the wearer. Then I plan to line the mask with a thick foam. Any splinters from the fiberglass won't be able to get through the foam to the skin.

Anyway, the point of this post is to see if anybody believes this will/will not work, and to see if anyone can give me any ideas as to how to attach it to the head. I plan to buy an old gas mask and use the straps, attach them to the mask somehow.

So, any questions, comments or complaints?

EDIT:

Here's a couple pics of the mask. Didn't get to take one of me wearing it cos I installed strut bars to keep it in shape, then realized I couldn't get my face in it :p

GetAttachment.aspx

GetAttachment.aspx

Sorry about the fact that they're tilted to the side :S

The outside will still break apart though. Depending on the kind of mesh you use it may or may not help. The foam is a good idea though.

There are still safety concerns here though. One being sight and the other breathing. Your full line of sight is going to be cut down a lot in that mask so it will put you at a disadvantage. Your eyes will still be exposed too so getting hit in the eye with a paint-ball would defiantly do some damage. Then breathing. Drilling holes in the front probably wont do much. I got two huge vents in my helmet and its still hard to breath.

I post this on all paint-ball/airsoft theads. This proves the out side will break apart. I didnt make this.

Just remember: we are a prop building forum. We dont work with practical materials for theses activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
The outside will still break apart though. Depending on the kind of mesh you use it may or may not help. The foam is a good idea though.

There are still safety concerns here though. One being sight and the other breathing. Your full line of sight is going to be cut down a lot in that mask so it will put you at a disadvantage. Your eyes will still be exposed too so getting hit in the eye with a paint-ball would defiantly do some damage. Then breathing. Drilling holes in the front probably wont do much. I got two huge vents in my helmet and its still hard to breath.

I post this on all paint-ball/airsoft theads. This proves the out side will break apart. I didnt make this.

Just remember: we are a prop building forum. We dont work with practical materials for theses activities.

Damn, sorry, I had an idea for the eyes, forgot to mention it. I was thinking of putting a couple layers of perspex into the eye-sockets. And you'd be surprised how well you can see out of them, sure you might lose a little of your peripheral vision, but you can practically see everything just fine.

As for venting, I was thinking of making channels in the foam that open at the bottom of the mask and go right up to my nose/mouth...then I realized the lack of foam in these areas would mean the danger of the fiberglassing splintering into me again, so I'm at a loss at this point in time.

A little while ago, before this sight moved, I had a thread going about halo paintballing armor. On of the guys who posted on it had built a suit of WoW paladin armor, but he'd molded it, made it of clay I think. Anyway, he took it out the back, took to it with a paintball gun for me, and he said it was fine. Not a scratch, not a dent. So I was thinking of something like that also, though I have no idea how to do it :(

does the place you play paintball have regulations on what you must wear? im pretty sure any place here in california would not allow any homemade or non approved mask to be worn on the field. if i owned or operated a paintball field i probably wouldnt allow it either, for saftey and liability matters.

but if you just want something to shoot around in with friends, i would make a tester mask and just shoot the crap out of it and make sure its safe.

Any reputable comercial Paintball field will not allow you on their fields with out paintball approved goggles and face mask, they must be ansi safety approved lenses, believe me your sight is morre important than wearing a cool looking mask while playing paintball, you could get away with it if your playing in someones woods or something but protect your eyes, you only get your eye sight once and its not worth loosing it over paintball, best i could tell you is to build something over a paintball mask, you can wear all the armor you want but your just adding all the weight and will probably die of a heat stroke, But it is your eyes that must be protected with goggles approved for paintball, sorry not ranting at you directly just hate to see someone make a costly mistake

I'm not going to drag myself into another paintball armor discussion with all of the nay sayers (despite the heated discussions, I still love you guys! ;)), but consider the practicality of the idea for a second. I agree that AO2 masks look cool, but they aren't very tactically sound. Look at every paintball mask on the market. What is the common theme? The answer is that they are all designed with wide fields of vision so that you can see your enemy. If you can't see them, you can't shoot them and you give them a tactical advantage over you. AO2 masks offer a terrible field of vision. They were designed by desk nerds who wanted to make something look cool, not something that had any semblance of reality. Think about it...

does the place you play paintball have regulations on what you must wear? im pretty sure any place here in california would not allow any homemade or non approved mask to be worn on the field. if i owned or operated a paintball field i probably wouldnt allow it either, for saftey and liability matters.

Well the place I've played at before has insurance wavers just for people who want to do this kind of thing. That way, if they do any serious harm to themselves, the guys who run the place aren't liable.

Any reputable comercial Paintball field will not allow you on their fields with out paintball approved goggles and face mask, they must be ansi safety approved lenses, believe me your sight is morre important than wearing a cool looking mask while playing paintball, you could get away with it if your playing in someones woods or something but protect your eyes, you only get your eye sight once and its not worth loosing it over paintball, best i could tell you is to build something over a paintball mask, you can wear all the armor you want but your just adding all the weight and will probably die of a heat stroke, But it is your eyes that must be protected with goggles approved for paintball, sorry not ranting at you directly just hate to see someone make a costly mistake

Yeah Hyper, I did put a lot of thought into the safety of my eyes. I've got a friend whose eye was shot out by a paintball, believe me, I know how much it sucks. Poor guy was going to school to be a pilot in the military. That was my biggest concern, making sure it was as safe as possible. And you don't need to apologize, I like this, it's good that there's people around who care enough about others to bring this kind of thing up. If somebody like you had spoken to my friend, he might be flying black-hawks for the army right now. He had a similar idea as me, but for a mask from some game I've never heard of, and thought glass would do a good enough job. That's why I was going to use a few layers of perspex. I mean, if it can stop a bullet, it can stop a paintball...

I'm not going to drag myself into another paintball armor discussion with all of the nay sayers (despite the heated discussions, I still love you guys! ;)), but consider the practicality of the idea for a second. I agree that AO2 masks look cool, but they aren't very tactically sound. Look at every paintball mask on the market. What is the common theme? The answer is that they are all designed with wide fields of vision so that you can see your enemy. If you can't see them, you can't shoot them and you give them a tactical advantage over you. AO2 masks offer a terrible field of vision. They were designed by desk nerds who wanted to make something look cool, not something that had any semblance of reality. Think about it...

Yeah, I agree, and I wouldn't use it for serious paintball. Me and my mates were planning on making a set, and just having games against each other. That way, with everyone wearing the same mask, nobody has the advantage over anybody. I wasn't even planning on using it for paintballing. I was just building it as a fiberglassing test for my Reach Jorge suit. I was just wondering if building it for paintball were possible.

Now I'm not saying you should do this BUT!! here is a way you MIGHT! be able to do it. Pep the mask and cover the inside with carbon fiber and Kevlar ( you should be able to buy these at your local auto body supply store) They go on just like fiberglass. First resin in the carbon fiber (I'd do 2 layers of this) the resin in the Kevlar. Now if your making masks for a bunch of friends then I would offer to make the masks if the pony up the funds for materials. Build one and test it at range. What ever your usual range is 20 or 30 feet. If it fails then make the mask a little bigger and add more material. But I bet with 2 layers of carbon fiber and a layer of Kevlar it should pass. Hell the make car parts out of carbon fiber and they get pelted with rock on the highway and survive, and those rocks are going a lot faster and have more force than a paint ball. That's just my 2 cents but like I said I'm not saying go do it just giving you and option.

Now I'm not saying you should do this BUT!! here is a way you MIGHT! be able to do it. Pep the mask and cover the inside with carbon fiber and Kevlar ( you should be able to buy these at your local auto body supply store) They go on just like fiberglass. First resin in the carbon fiber (I'd do 2 layers of this) the resin in the Kevlar. Now if your making masks for a bunch of friends then I would offer to make the masks if the pony up the funds for materials. Build one and test it at range. What ever your usual range is 20 or 30 feet. If it fails then make the mask a little bigger and add more material. But I bet with 2 layers of carbon fiber and a layer of Kevlar it should pass. Hell the make car parts out of carbon fiber and they get pelted with rock on the highway and survive, and those rocks are going a lot faster and have more force than a paint ball. That's just my 2 cents but like I said I'm not saying go do it just giving you and option.

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks dude. One problem though, I'm an Aussie. We don't have Carbon Fiber and Kevlar as readily available to us as you Americans do...and if you're not actually American I'm sorry :p I do envy you guys though, the cool stuff you can buy in your country, and so cheap...

Ok, I don't usually go for these type of threads, but you seem to be putting some thought into it beforehand. My first concern would also be the safety aspect of this project. I realize at this point it's just a thought, but you need to remember one critical element....TESTING, TESTING, TESTING. Preferably non-human testing.
Really, you SHOULD be making so many masks just to test on that it wouldn't be worth the effort... One mask does not a test make! (<--Yoda-ish, no?)
You may also want to think about the different plastic products out there for this project as well.

In the end, most of your time spent on this project should be the research and testing. Safety first. Good luck.

This is what I found just by typing in carbon fiber in my google search bar http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/228941579/Carbon_fibre_cloth_substitutes_asbestos_.html so you can def find it online you just need to find a supplier closer to you. I'd look in china or japan for one they always have cheep stuff for sale.

Ahhhh, mate, you're a legend. I'll definitely look into it. I'm running a tight budget at the moment. Just turned 18, got my P's, and I'm sick of driving around my parents' cars, so I need to save my own, and I'm earning about $100 a week at the moment, lol. But I'll definitely look into it. I'm going in tomorrow to buy the fiberglass I need. If I get the money, I'll do a second mask using the carbon fiber and kevlar, cos it sounds like an awesome idea.

Cheers dude!

Ok, I don't usually go for these type of threads, but you seem to be putting some thought into it beforehand. My first concern would also be the safety aspect of this project. I realize at this point it's just a thought, but you need to remember one critical element....TESTING, TESTING, TESTING. Preferably non-human testing.
Really, you SHOULD be making so many masks just to test on that it wouldn't be worth the effort... One mask does not a test make! (<--Yoda-ish, no?)
You may also want to think about the different plastic products out there for this project as well.

In the end, most of your time spent on this project should be the research and testing. Safety first. Good luck.

Yeah, and you're right. Safety is my top priority. Like I said, a bloke I met on this forum (not sure if he's still around) tested a piece of his plastic molded armor for me, and said it was fine. It was only a half inch thick from memory, and he said after a few rounds, there was no damage done what-so-ever. So if I can work out what he used, I'll look into that. And my parent's are cops, who work closely with the guys who run protection for the prime minister. I can ask them about the perspex they use for the safety/bulletproof glass, and see if I can get my hands on it. I've already drawn up designs as to work out how to best add the perspex to the mask in the safest possible way, and I think I have it.

Anyway, like I said, safety is my top priority, and I probably won't even use it, since it means the back of my head is exposed due to the design of the mask, and paintballs hurt :( It's just something I want to try out, see if I can do it or not.

Just make sure if your going to try this, Its not just the strength of the lens and that it can stop a paintball, another important part is where the lens attaches to the helmet itself a paintball should not be able to penetrate thru the sides this is why paintball goggles have a frame that wraps around the lens or a very wide lens if there is no rubber seal, also where the mask touches your face there should be a good seal, goggles use some kind of foam to seal the goggle to your face, this prevents the paintball from entering thru the sides between your face and the goggle, so if you must do this make sure your lens will not pop out when being struck, and that if hit between the mask and the face that it will not penetrate that area either, the reason I stress this is that I own and operate a comercial paintball field and when mistakes happen like this could present, it puts a bad mark on the sport of paintball, plus I would hate to see someone lose a eye over a paintball, just be safe man.

I do believe that a company makes Army of Two mask that are made for paintball and airsoft, but you still have to wear goggles over the eye part

Just make sure if your going to try this, Its not just the strength of the lens and that it can stop a paintball, another important part is where the lens attaches to the helmet itself a paintball should not be able to penetrate thru the sides this is why paintball goggles have a frame that wraps around the lens or a very wide lens if there is no rubber seal, also where the mask touches your face there should be a good seal, goggles use some kind of foam to seal the goggle to your face, this prevents the paintball from entering thru the sides between your face and the goggle, so if you must do this make sure your lens will not pop out when being struck, and that if hit between the mask and the face that it will not penetrate that area either, the reason I stress this is that I own and operate a comercial paintball field and when mistakes happen like this could present, it puts a bad mark on the sport of paintball, plus I would hate to see someone lose a eye over a paintball, just be safe man.

I do believe that a company makes Army of Two mask that are made for paintball and airsoft, but you still have to wear goggles over the eye part

As I was reading your post I had an idea...If I cut the eye holes bigger in the mask, i'd be able to fit in an actual set of paintball goggles...so it provides all the safety of standard paintball masks...I mean, sure, the paintball could POSSIBLY get through the fiberglass and bruise/scratch me up a little, but that doesn't worry me...ladies love the scars :p no, I'm playin', I'm not like that...but I'm no stranger to pain, sometimes I put myself through it just for the fun of it, but NEVER anything that could cause serious damage...me and my friends go racing through dense bush and undergrowth as party of a training/fitness program, and we get gashed up pretty bad, so that doesn't worry me in the slightest...even then I wear sunnies in fear of getting a twig in the eye...

so yes, my eyes are my main concern...so long as they are safe, I'm not particularly worried about a couple scratches on the cheek...PLUS, cutting the eye slits bigger with offer a better peripheral view...and I'd be wearing paint ball safety goggles, so my eyes would be 100% safe...

What do u think?

If you are set in doing this, I will tell you the best way to do this. I have tried this and I assure you that it works perfectly.

I posted this several weeks ago in another paintball armor discussion.

In regards to hard armor, i.e. shoulder pauldrons, shin guards, chest pieces, etc., after a lot of research, I have decided that Kydex plastic is the best option. Kydex is a plastic that is used to make gun holsters and knife sheaths (I use it to make holsters on the side). Its waterproof, scratch resistant, and is remarkably impact resistant. I have been working on kydex ODST armor recently and after screwing up a shoulder piece that I had formed, I took it out back and shot it point blank with a paintball gun. Then for good measure, I emptied the rest of my hopper on it. The result? Not a scratch. As a plus, it comes in lots of different colors and styles (several camo textures also). Find Kydex here.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/se...arch+%3E%A0%A0

Because of the simplicity of the AO2 mask, you could easily vacuum form the Kydex over the mask.

If you are set in doing this, I will tell you the best way to do this. I have tried this and I assure you that it works perfectly.

I posted this several weeks ago in another paintball armor discussion.

In regards to hard armor, i.e. shoulder pauldrons, shin guards, chest pieces, etc., after a lot of research, I have decided that Kydex plastic is the best option. Kydex is a plastic that is used to make gun holsters and knife sheaths (I use it to make holsters on the side). Its waterproof, scratch resistant, and is remarkably impact resistant. I have been working on kydex ODST armor recently and after screwing up a shoulder piece that I had formed, I took it out back and shot it point blank with a paintball gun. Then for good measure, I emptied the rest of my hopper on it. The result? Not a scratch. As a plus, it comes in lots of different colors and styles (several camo textures also). Find Kydex here.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/se...arch+%3E%A0%A0

Because of the simplicity of the AO2 mask, you could easily vacuum form the Kydex over the mask.

Dude, that's excellent. Will definitely look into this also. Cheers.

As I was reading your post I had an idea...If I cut the eye holes bigger in the mask, i'd be able to fit in an actual set of paintball goggles...so it provides all the safety of standard paintball masks...I mean, sure, the paintball could POSSIBLY get through the fiberglass and bruise/scratch me up a little, but that doesn't worry me...ladies love the scars :p no, I'm playin', I'm not like that...but I'm no stranger to pain, sometimes I put myself through it just for the fun of it, but NEVER anything that could cause serious damage...me and my friends go racing through dense bush and undergrowth as party of a training/fitness program, and we get gashed up pretty bad, so that doesn't worry me in the slightest...even then I wear sunnies in fear of getting a twig in the eye...

== Chess ==

Alright so i know this has been talked about and probably mentioned in this thread but please view this. it is what happenes when a paintball meets a high quality resin casted helmet. only use approved gear for paintballl. if you check out evike.com they have approved halo helmets for paintball.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46663

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back