Art Advice needed- MJOLNIR Shading?

Discussion in 'General Halo Discussion' started by Kat, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Kat

Kat Jr Member

kat_wip_by_solairia_sun-dbk620p.png

So I started coloring and shading this drawing, but something seems off to me. Any suggestions?

2. kupokitty

kupokitty Well-Known Member

The shading on the visor doesn't match its form. Use various references (including this one) to see how the light hits each part. Reach%20Concept_Kat.jpg

Kat likes this.
  3. Kat

Kat Jr Member

spartan_b_320_by_ferretbadge-dbkj0ym.png

Did this now as well XD

4. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

The brush you are using to shade is too soft. Where it goes from light to dark is blended together too much. It doesn't have the feel of something hard and metallic.

5. Kat

Kat Jr Member

Really? Do you think you could find me an example of what you mean?

At a certain point I think it's a matter of my style

6. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

OK this pic is not of Kat but it kinda shows the point I'm trying to convey. The use of blending here creates depth. Hope this makes more sense. BTW this is not my work.
    poji-chow-pojic-halospartan-01render.jpg

mblackwell1002 and Kat like this.
  7. Kat

Kat Jr Member

Yeah, I can see what you mean now. Harsher shades.

8. CommanderPalmer

CommanderPalmer Membership Officer

Not really. It's about the brush. You're using a basically airbrush, a brush with 0% hardness. Increase the hardness to at least 70% or even 95% and it will give you a much better effect. Or use other brushes. Mixing brushes is always great, but an airbrush is very no-go for mechanical things like that.

Kat and PaiganBoi like this.
  9. Kat

Kat Jr Member

I think I was going for a sort of night time feel, where moonlight would make a softer shade.

But will give this a try and see how it looks, for sure.