Art Advice needed- MJOLNIR Shading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat

Jr Member
kat_wip_by_solairia_sun-dbk620p.png

So I started coloring and shading this drawing, but something seems off to me. Any suggestions?

The shading on the visor doesn't match its form. Use various references (including this one) to see how the light hits each part.
Reach%20Concept_Kat.jpg

Reactions: Kat
The brush you are using to shade is too soft. Where it goes from light to dark is blended together too much. It doesn't have the feel of something hard and metallic.

The brush you are using to shade is too soft. Where it goes from light to dark is blended together too much. It doesn't have the feel of something hard and metallic.

Really? Do you think you could find me an example of what you mean?

At a certain point I think it's a matter of my style

OK this pic is not of Kat but it kinda shows the point I'm trying to convey. The use of blending here creates depth. Hope this makes more sense. BTW this is not my work.
poji-chow-pojic-halospartan-01render.jpg

Not really. It's about the brush. You're using a basically airbrush, a brush with 0% hardness. Increase the hardness to at least 70% or even 95% and it will give you a much better effect. Or use other brushes. Mixing brushes is always great, but an airbrush is very no-go for mechanical things like that.

I think I was going for a sort of night time feel, where moonlight would make a softer shade.

Not really. It's about the brush. You're using a basically airbrush, a brush with 0% hardness. Increase the hardness to at least 70% or even 95% and it will give you a much better effect. Or use other brushes. Mixing brushes is always great, but an airbrush is very no-go for mechanical things like that.

But will give this a try and see how it looks, for sure.

View attachment 248539

So I started coloring and shading this drawing, but something seems off to me. Any suggestions?
Well think of a sorce of light and were it's at. I think the visor is throwing you off. It seem the light is comming from the left side (armor shows that) put the lightest point on the left side and a little reflective light on the right bottom side. Hope that helps ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back