Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I'm looking to at the least attach my sidearm to my thigh. So far I've tried large strips of 3m velcro (the one that's hard on both sides) but it just doesn't work. I found this thread on attaching rifles to the back: Props - Anyone attach their rifle( ma5) to their backs?, but it didn't really seem to offer anything conclusive so I was wondering if there have been any developments since then, because I'd also love to attach my rifle.

Hugely strong magnets work - in one direction. But the instant you apply too much sideways pressure they will slip. Also, if you wear them too close for too long they can cause health problems. (Actually have health benefits, too, apparently. Ask my gramma.)

Straps are awesome, but obvious, and unless you're doing an ODST or Marine build, look out of place.

You can design a holster, which PaiganBoi did for his ODST build, or you can permanently attach the prop to your suit. I've been tempted to do that a couple of times, actually. But don't think I will..... who knows.

Also, I found this video some years ago about strapping an assault rifle to a tacvest, and it's #*GENIUS!!!* I DO want to implement this technique into my armor suits, because, although there is a strap, it isn't nearly so obvious or distracting as it could be.

So basically for the assault rifle strap this is what I'm thinking:

Take your chest and back armor and put it on. Hold your assault rifle where it belongs (impossible in Halo armor, but do your best). Are you right handed? Or left handed? Once you know where you hold the rifle the most, take a length of strap. Stretchy strap will work great for our costuming needs. You will need to attach (a quick attach is best, but do what you can) the strap to the rifle at the appropriate place (I prefer near the rear of the handle). Then run the single strap from the rifle directly over your shoulder. Don't keep it too tight. Next, switch from your strong-hand to your off-hand and make sure there's enough strap for that. Mark where it touches the armor and cut it off a foot or so beyond that point if you've got it. Next, remove the armor and focus on the back. Where the strap reached the top of your armor, and on your strong-hand side, pull the excess strap straight down and attach it to your armor, cutting of any excess.

I will try to get a diagram drawn up here in a second; even *I* am a little unclear about what's going on.

So by now you have one single strap that doesn't wind around your neck stretching from your back, over your shoulder and out through your "neck hole" to your weapon. This allows you to maintain control of your weapon, attached to your body, AND you can sling it carefully over your shoulder to your back.

This method is awesome, but will take a little experimenting with to find how much strap allows the weapon to go over your armored shoulder, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'll get a picture on here as soon as I get home.

Hugely strong magnets work - in one direction. But the instant you apply too much sideways pressure they will slip. Also, if you wear them too close for too long they can cause health problems. (Actually have health benefits, too, apparently. Ask my gramma.)

Straps are awesome, but obvious, and unless you're doing an ODST or Marine build, look out of place.

You can design a holster, which PaiganBoi did for his ODST build, or you can permanently attach the prop to your suit. I've been tempted to do that a couple of times, actually. But don't think I will..... who knows.

Also, I found this video some years ago about strapping an assault rifle to a tacvest, and it's #*GENIUS!!!* I DO want to implement this technique into my armor suits, because, although there is a strap, it isn't nearly so obvious or distracting as it could be.

So basically for the assault rifle strap this is what I'm thinking:

Take your chest and back armor and put it on. Hold your assault rifle where it belongs (impossible in Halo armor, but do your best). Are you right handed? Or left handed? Once you know where you hold the rifle the most, take a length of strap. Stretchy strap will work great for our costuming needs. You will need to attach (a quick attach is best, but do what you can) the strap to the rifle at the appropriate place (I prefer near the rear of the handle). Then run the single strap from the rifle directly over your shoulder. Don't keep it too tight. Next, switch from your strong-hand to your off-hand and make sure there's enough strap for that. Mark where it touches the armor and cut it off a foot or so beyond that point if you've got it. Next, remove the armor and focus on the back. Where the strap reached the top of your armor, and on your strong-hand side, pull the excess strap straight down and attach it to your armor, cutting of any excess.

I will try to get a diagram drawn up here in a second; even *I* am a little unclear about what's going on.

So by now you have one single strap that doesn't wind around your neck stretching from your back, over your shoulder and out through your "neck hole" to your weapon. This allows you to maintain control of your weapon, attached to your body, AND you can sling it carefully over your shoulder to your back.

This method is awesome, but will take a little experimenting with to find how much strap allows the weapon to go over your armored shoulder, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'll get a picture on here as soon as I get home.
This strap thing doesn't help with the sidearm, but it does sound amazing and I'd love to experiment with it tonight. I'll be closely watching for the visual updates (or a link haha). I might stop at the store after work to get stronger velcro, and try that for the sidearm.

I have 1/8th thick and around 1 1/2 inch neodymium rare earth magnets inside my boomco blaster so it can attatch to my leg peice. It is still super strong through the foam and plastic, and is somewhat hard tu "unholster" sometimes :b it can be pushed off sideways, but it will more than likely rotate or shift a little. It will take more than a bump to take it off. There are three problems though... 1) it is super heavy. The magnet feels like it doubles the weight of the magnum and makes it want to fall off the armor. It wont, but it wants too.
2) as pointed out, it can be very unhealthy. This is a reason why I dont want to wear the magnet inside the leg peice.
3) because they are so strong(I held two magnets about 6 inches apart and it tore out of the clench of my right hand and seemed into the other magnet, clipping my finger in the process between the two to where it throbbed for the next 20 minutes, and cracked the impacted magnet down the middle and indented it where it first hit) I dont know how they will effect electronic devices, or if it will erase or completely kill a phone if it gets too close. The magnet in the thigh peice is around pocket hight...

I have 1/8th thick and around 1 1/2 inch neodymium rare earth magnets inside my boomco blaster so it can attatch to my leg peice. It is still super strong through the foam and plastic, and is somewhat hard tu "unholster" sometimes :b it can be pushed off sideways, but it will more than likely rotate or shift a little. It will take more than a bump to take it off. There are three problems though... 1) it is super heavy. The magnet feels like it doubles the weight of the magnum and makes it want to fall off the armor. It wont, but it wants too.
2) as pointed out, it can be very unhealthy. This is a reason why I dont want to wear the magnet inside the leg peice.
3) because they are so strong(I held two magnets about 6 inches apart and it tore out of the clench of my right hand and seemed into the other magnet, clipping my finger in the process between the two to where it throbbed for the next 20 minutes, and cracked the impacted magnet down the middle and indented it where it first hit) I dont know how they will effect electronic devices, or if it will erase or completely kill a phone if it gets too close. The magnet in the thigh peice is around pocket hight...
Yeah, at first I wanted to go with magnets too, but with all the downsides to them I think I'mma pass to be honest.

Attaching a weapon to be game accurate is a difficult thing. Like Sean Anwalt said I made a holster for my silenced mag. I didn't like the idea of cutting into my already completed armour and weapon.
20180828_001611.jpg
The holster is beastly and ugly but it serves its purpose.

Attaching a weapon to be game accurate is a difficult thing. Like Sean Anwalt said I made a holster for my silenced mag. I didn't like the idea of cutting into my already completed armour and weapon.
View attachment 272651
The holster is beastly and ugly but it serves its purpose.
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having exactly. I want it to be game accurate, but I also need to be able to equip it, otherwise what's the point?

Having no idea what you're on about Sean Anwalt, I picked up some elastic strap along with the Velcro while I was at the store.

This is an idea. Obviously we shouldn't be rocking Glocks, but the clip idea, attached to a minimalist "hoop" if you will, would work.

He's the strap idea:
15616712210898527903755997686551.jpg

Last edited:

This is an idea. Obviously we shouldn't be rocking Glocks, but the clip idea, attached to a minimalist "hoop" if you will, would work.

He's the strap idea:
Came to post how I got the side arm mounted...
@RandomRanger, don't do anything for about 10 minutes
Screenshot_3.png

Just read your post...

Umm, so... I did this:
IMG_20190627_163333.jpg
IMG_20190627_163342.jpg

Ugly when the gun's off, but that's not really supposed to happen anyways.

Dang it. That clip is much nicer, I should've thought of that to begin with.

I've always leaned towards the magnet approach just because magic. But, I do know the problem is if they get bumped they fall off. My theory would be to combine a peg+hole technique to at least two magnet points. The magnet then holds the props down and the magnets being in a hole prevents it from sliding or getting bumped.

The only other thing I've seen work well, but just like your method sacrifices a little bit of the look, if a C bracket. Mount a C shaped bracket to the side of your gun and you can hang it on your armor where ever you'd like.

I've always leaned towards the magnet approach just because magic. But, I do know the problem is if they get bumped they fall off. My theory would be to combine a peg+hole technique to at least two magnet points. The magnet then holds the props down and the magnets being in a hole prevents it from sliding or getting bumped.

The only other thing I've seen work well, but just like your method sacrifices a little bit of the look, if a C bracket. Mount a C shaped bracket to the side of your gun and you can hang it on your armor where ever you'd like.
I'd be happy with a C bracket too to be honest. I'm scrouning my apt now to see what kind of clips I can find.

Ended up going with a sling strap for my rifle, connected to a clip that I can just detach whenever I want to equip it using the method suggested by Sean Anwalt
DSC_0509.JPG

Still looking for a clip for the sidearm.

Oh sad day. I didn't know that was among the broken. :cry:

You will find a way, I have faith in you Ranger!
Right now I'm just gonna roll with the velcro until I find a better clip cause I got bored of looking and this works well enough. Atm I'm more focused on trying to get my external mic to work, which is proving more difficult than anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back