Attaching Weapons To Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryoon4690

I was watching the trailer for Halo 3 today and noticed that Master Chief put the assault rifle on his back without any attachments and was thinking it would be cool to have that effect with armor. I was thinking it could be done by putting a strong magnet in the back of the armor and have a metal insert in the weapon so it sticks. I haven't started my armor yet because I'm at college and live in the dorms but if I have enough money this is going to be something I try out. Any thoughts?

It would be very cool to be able to do that. I was thinking along the same lines for my armor but I'm just not sure if I would have the time before Anime Expo.

thats what many people i think mght do to get it to stay but you would need a really stong megnet and if you ever go to a convention some people say like a mercs and TDH that little kids will take your weapons with out you knowing so you might really want to get a good magnet , well theres my 2 cents :)

The idea for my armor was for velcro pieces on the back and gun. Since my armor is going to be mostly black I though that might be the best way to go. Less trouble with airports to lol.

Well, if you ever go to a convention, you should always have a "handler" with you. Someone that is either in a non-eyesight-hindering costume, or just not in cosplay at all, to keep an eye on you and your props. Like Fett Man said, you'd have to be very wary of someone jacking your props if they weren't "bolted down". I, myself, have thought about using a large magnet to attach a rifle to my back... but thought of a better idea... think smaller scale. Use it for a pistol to your thigh plate. ;)

There was a thread about this a while ago if I remember correctly. You could use the really strong earth magnets to hold it in place.

Bigalt424 said:
There was a thread about this a while ago if I remember correctly. You could use the really strong earth magnets to hold it in place.

I read about an article in a magazine that interviewed the story line artist for Halo and they said the UNSC used very strong magnets to link the weapons that's integrated in the armor. Maybe earth magnets are a good idea like you suggested..

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigalt424 said:

Either a Neodynium Magnet (strongest strong earth magnets). You can custom order them in all kinds of sizes. You would need a build a small case around them, as they can crack (i've seen small ones fly at each other from two feet away and 'implode'..) when hit....

Or you could go with a piece of metal and build a big Electro Magnet in the backpack. Should be plenty of room depending on with back you go with. There's simple circuits that can detect the presence of a strong magnet (it feels a electrical pulse, sends a signal to another circuit) that you can use to automatically detect you swinging said weapon back, conserve battery life...

You can use RC-Grade Lithium-Polymer batteries to power the beast. They're light weight and come in 3.7 volt packs (3.7v, 7.4v, 11.1v...). Problem is the batteries are fairly expensive, chargers run about $60. Oh, and they can explode when charged improperly or shorted. But if you can wire up the circuit for the magnet, handling these should be easy for you.

sxysweed said:
Either a Neodynium Magnet (strongest strong earth magnets). You can custom order them in all kinds of sizes. You would need a build a small case around them, as they can crack (i've seen small ones fly at each other from two feet away and 'implode'..) when hit....

Or you could go with a piece of metal and build a big Electro Magnet in the backpack. Should be plenty of room depending on with back you go with. There's simple circuits that can detect the presence of a strong magnet (it feels a electrical pulse, sends a signal to another circuit) that you can use to automatically detect you swinging said weapon back, conserve battery life...

You can use RC-Grade Lithium-Polymer batteries to power the beast. They're light weight and come in 3.7 volt packs (3.7v, 7.4v, 11.1v...). Problem is the batteries are fairly expensive, chargers run about $60. Oh, and they can explode when charged improperly or shorted. But if you can wire up the circuit for the magnet, handling these should be easy for you.

It's much much easier to get load bearing neodymium magnets. The ones that will hold 25lbs or more. K & J Magnetics, Inc. has a really wide selection of friggin' huge neodymium block magnets that will probably hold you up if you put them in your shoes & walked on a metal ceiling. Two $36.00 big bar magnets will probably work best and then you'd only have to fiberglass a big metal washer into your weapon at the points of contact. And trust me, you'll feel it when someone tries to gank a weapon off your back with these cuz it will have a tendency to move your whole torso with it.

I worry about those high powered earth magnets. Too many stories of folks loosing fingers over those things.

Magnets are a god idea, but how are you suppose to stick them to your back. But then again you can glue them to that part.

Very strong velcro would be good.

Good news: It will hold, If somebody trys to steal it, you would here that one ripping creech sound. And it wouldn't be hard to take out like those earth magnets.

Bad news: When you take the secondary out or not have it, you can proably see the velcro. Velcro would be on your weapon

Magnets, like i said good ideas

Good news: Hold together well. You can build them in while your are in the bondo stage. Almost impoosible to see if painted

Bad news: Hard to find them if painted ( or not). You can tell if it's being pulled off or not ( doesn't make a sound when lifted off). Maybe realy hard to take off.

Hooks, has anybody tried this

Good news: Will be able to have a secondary weapon hangin'

Very bad news: People wouldn't know if you were either a coat hanger or captain hook. you have a big exposed hook on your back. People can easily steal it

What about buckles. So there are as you can see, many things you can use besides magnets.

Something else you need to think about when dealing with powerful magnets...

if you want it to hold securely so people can't bump it off... its on your back.. not exactly the easiest spot for you to reach in full armor... how are 'you' going to pull it off...

There's always the option of electromagnets... you can give them 100+ pounds of holding power and a fairly easy to access on/off switch to release it so you can grab it easily
http://www.magnetechcorp.com/DC_Electromag...CFRwpawodrViDVQ

just one of the many industrial electromagnet suppliers. Most are designed to be 12v but will work almost as well with 9v. The battery life hasn't been posted anywhere except on some hobby kits and their constant use battery life was 7-8 hours.

Too bad you can't get reverse electromagnets... strong magnets that release their magnetism when electricity is turned on... that would be sweet.

Sir Blood said:
Something else you need to think about when dealing with powerful magnets...

if you want it to hold securely so people can't bump it off... its on your back.. not exactly the easiest spot for you to reach in full armor... how are 'you' going to pull it off...

There's always the option of electromagnets... you can give them 100+ pounds of holding power and a fairly easy to access on/off switch to release it so you can grab it easily
http://www.magnetechcorp.com/DC_Electromag...CFRwpawodrViDVQ

just one of the many industrial electromagnet suppliers. Most are designed to be 12v but will work almost as well with 9v. The battery life hasn't been posted anywhere except on some hobby kits and their constant use battery life was 7-8 hours.

Too bad you can't get reverse electromagnets... strong magnets that release their magnetism when electricity is turned on... that would be sweet.
The only bad part with electro magnets is like you said that is lasts only 7-8 hours. More then likely I'll be in this armor for 10+ hours a day at AX and I don't want my gun falling off in hour 8. That would be embarrassing. For shorter times like for parties ot halloween it would work great though.

Wouldn't you be able to mount the "base" magnet inside the armor? It wouldn't help with the draw or intitial attempt to secure, but the cavity is large enough, yes?

Add 2 - 9 volt batteries in parallel as the power supply for your electromagnets... I'm sure an electromagnet couldn't draw more power than 3- 12 v cooling fans and 4 automotive LED's. I've been known to let them run almost totally constant for 14 or 15 hours and the batteries were still kicking, and survived the next day's 3 hours of use.

You would probably carry your weapon for some of the time as well, thus the elecromagnet wouldn't be always on.

Maybe just put a srap on your AR or what ever gun is ging on the back?! Bit like a hunting rifle might have. Down side is that none of the guns in Halo have straps put practically at least you know its safe.

For the pistol a holster or magnet system would be ok as it is on your thigh and close to sight.

Any thoughts on that one?

Helibor said:
Maybe just put a srap on your AR or what ever gun is ging on the back?! Bit like a hunting rifle might have. Down side is that none of the guns in Halo have straps put practically at least you know its safe.

For the pistol a holster or magnet system would be ok as it is on your thigh and close to sight.

Any thoughts on that one?
I was considering something along those lines.
Mainly due to one major problem with magnets: they screw up electronics.
I'm considering putting electronics in my AR, but even if I don't then I don't want to have to worry about accidentally setting it on my laptop or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back