Attacthing weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRudon27

I am just wondering what has been the best method for some of you for attaching the weapons on your armor? I am going to be making odst armor for my son (17) and myself and i have already made some of the gun props any help is appreciated.

It is possible to use magnets, but they are iffy at best. I feel like someone else would be better suited to answer this question.

Magnets are probably the best way to go without having the attatchment mechanism viable. Neodymium magnets are very strong but usually too small to use..

In this build that is VERY old, jacket brackets are used. They seem like a reasonable idea, but I have yet to try them. I may use them soon but if you get to it before me, let us know how it goes.

Halo 4 SRS99-S5 Sniper Rifle - EVA Foam Build [COMPLETE]

He also has a link at the end of his thread that takes you to another of his that explains the jacket bracket and how he used it...

I would try and install the magnets inside of your props and armors before completing so it isnt visable, but whatever works!

Here is a video I made where I incorporated neodymium magnets into a magnum and the DFT thigh piece. In the video, it worked flawlessly. Once strapped to my 12 year old son's leg, the whole weapon slid right off due to gravity. In the end, I ended up building a small shelf for the muzzle to sit on and the magnet held the prop to the thigh piece. However, any sudden movement or jump, and it would fall off.

In all fairness, the magnets were separated by a piece of 3/8" foam and I believe the paint and coating creating an additional "slicking" effect versus the straight foam in the video. The neodymium magnet concept worked well though and the magnum may have stayed in place had I brought the prop magnet closer to the surface of the prop.

Of course, this really doesn't solve your dilemma if the prop is already built.

Magnets are probably the best way to go without having the attatchment mechanism viable. Neodymium magnets are very strong but usually too small to use..

In this build that is VERY old, jacket brackets are used. They seem like a reasonable idea, but I have yet to try them. I may use them soon but if you get to it before me, let us know how it goes.

Halo 4 SRS99-S5 Sniper Rifle - EVA Foam Build [COMPLETE]

He also has a link at the end of his thread that takes you to another of his that explains the jacket bracket and how he used it...

I would try and install the magnets inside of your props and armors before completing so it isnt visable, but whatever works!
I had problems with magnets, whenever I would glue them into the foam of one piece and then into the foam of another piece and then let them sit together, most of the time almost all of the magnets came unglued from each piece of the armor. Do you know any ways of fixing this?

When adhering magnets don't attach the matching part right away. Give time for the adhesive to cure so the bond is string enough. The other solution is to cover one of the magnets with 2mm foam. And leave the other bare. Keep in mind though, that this does weaken the bond a little bit.
20180712_202846.jpg
20180712_202903.jpg

I had problems with magnets, whenever I would glue them into the foam of one piece and then into the foam of another piece and then let them sit together, most of the time almost all of the magnets came unglued from each piece of the armor. Do you know any ways of fixing this?
Use a stronger glue, and if you can, use a thin plastic instead of foam so the magnet doesnt RIP out/leave marks(just in case glue fails) I'd also use a stronger glue with a ton of hot glue to fill in gaps, or an already cozy for for the magnet to fit into so there is minimum wiggling to dislodge it

I have to think about this for attaching my magnum prop to my upcoming CE Marine cosplay. While it's important that the connection is strong, it also has to look real - I think that a weapon just sticking to your armour by using magnets isn't very realistic. You could always use straps and magnets to make it secure and look like something is holding it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back