Backbone´s Mkvi Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackBONE

Jr Member
Hi,

yesterday i finaly received my chavant clay shipment. To make things short, i like modeling a lot more then pepakura. The biggest problem with that is that,

in order to make the armor fit, you have to make a mold of your own bodyparts. With pepakura it is relativly easy to scale, because you don´t loose much

exept a few hours and a few sheets of cardstock, while sculpting can take days and weeks.

Why i chose chavant.

Chavant clay has a good amount of vax in it and it can be poured if heated to about 80 degrees celsius.(think of honey and you get the idea)

It is a little pricey on first glance, but it is non hardening and reusable.

It comes in blocks of 10lbs (about 4,5 kg)

clay1.jpg

In order to get a ruff basemodle of clay, i did a low-res pep first, and glued it onto a pizza box i had from yesterday. Glued in a little peace of paper

to seal the bottom off aswell.

mkvi_01.jpg

mkvi_02.jpg

I secured the angled part of the bottom with a peace of cardbord, to keep the whole thing upright (its probably not much fun to have melted clay on your floor)

mkvi_03.jpg

The clay can be heated on a kitchen stove, it smells slightly like tar (its oilbased) so its a good idea to open the window first.

After everything is melted, you end up with a light grey goo that you can poor direcly into the "pep-mold".

mkvi_04.jpg

the orange thing is a bottlecap. After i poured the first inch into the mould, i inserted this bottle to "hollow it out".

For the upper part, i layed it down and filled the rest up...

mkvi_05.jpg

After a few hours you can peel of the paper, and you got yourself a basemesh.

mkvi_06.jpg

mkvi_07.jpg

Now the fun part beginns.

...after a few minutes of modeling...

mkvi_08.jpg

I keep you guys updated,

have fun!

really liked your idea of pouring the clay into a pep model and then building off of that. ill be watchin this thread for sure

keep up the good work. cant wait to see your progress.

was the card stock pretty easy to remove or did you have any problems with it sticking?

It was really easy, just peel it off.

Where flaps are not glued perfecly in a way that clay suround it, it needs a little persuation, but a little pinch with your fingernail

does the job.

Well, now its heavy (about 12lbs) but i will make a mold from it (probably with rebound 25)

No one will wear a clay armor :p

insanetrooper said:
good it came out of the pep mold easy. really like the progress your making

cool, what are you working on?

Concentrated on the back mostly. Symetry is my biggest enemy at the moment ;)

mkvi_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Idea haven't used that idea in a paper part before do you have a place to get that large of Qty. of Roma (oil based clay) I normally put it in life cast molds to work off of.

I love your progress

That is a pretty interesting way to go about making armor. The symmetry does seem like it would be a pain to deal with, but even if it's just slightly off, I doubt anyone will really pay that much attention to it. People will probably mostly be admiring how cool it is! hehe

Doing it this way does seem a bit expensive and since I don't have that kind of money, I stick with cardstock. :pI would like to get into molding, but that is just out of the question right now. Lack of working = lack of money! XD

insanetrooper said:
haha i like the little clay guy on the table.

just a quick test. Its preaty dificult to do such tiny stuff, at least at room temperature. It crumbles easy.

That reminds me:

a coleage of mine is into rc-models. He build himself an oil-tanker and wanted to put a crew on deck. Its surprisingly hard to find

3 to 4 inch height figures of man in worksuites. Any ideas where to get them?

insanetrooper said:
im working on a pep mk-vi

Seen the link in your signature later on. Nice build, but i guess i mussunderstood your last comment. You did not fill a pep-model with clay jet, right?

ghostartist said:
Nice Idea haven't used that idea in a paper part before do you have a place to get that large of Qty. of Roma (oil based clay) I normally put it in life cast molds to work off of.

I´m located in Germany, so i can´t give you any tips for your area. For everyone in Germany: Kaupo-Plankenhorn

ghostartist said:
I love your progress

Rock said:
Nice, I've never tried clay but it looks awesome.

Thank´s

I recomend to everyone to try modeling anything with clay. I find it rather relaxing. Whyle pepakura is still technical, clay is intuitive.

HaloGoddess said:
That is a pretty interesting way to go about making armor. The symmetry does seem like it would be a pain to deal with, but even if it's just slightly off, I doubt anyone will really pay that much attention to it. People will probably mostly be admiring how cool it is! hehe

Your probably right, but deep in side i´m to much of a perfectionist. I will tweak it as long as needed (don´t have a deadline)

HaloGoddess said:
Doing it this way does seem a bit expensive and since I don't have that kind of money, I stick with cardstock. :pI would like to get into molding, but that is just out of the question right now. Lack of working = lack of money! XD

Yeah, i know how that can be.

Just bought 20lbs of clay, and spend about 100Euro. When it comes to the chest peace i will need at least another 30lbs.

Molding material is allso not cheap, but i wanted to do something like this for a long time. Back then i did my armor with cardbord, wire and hot-glue, and coated

it with light modeling clay from the hobby shop.Pepakura was unknow to me. To make a full suite in one go would be unafordable for me too. Might take me a year or so, wich isn´t so bad, cause i can´t work full time on it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
no i have never made a clay model the way you are doing it, but when i get to the helmet i might borrow your idea and see what happens haha

oh and for the mini figures you can search around this site Click Here

also if those are too small ive seen them at hobbie stores

if youre molding it, why not resin a pep piece, then insert detail and smoothing to it with the clay, then mold it? it would take less supplies especially if youre filling a whole piece. tell me if this is wrong, maybe i dont fully understand what youre doing. :)

this is somewhat a really cool tutorial , i never thought you could do that with oil clay , but then again it got me thinking about the oil blocks at my kfc so in a way its very similar

thanks ill keep this in mind when i tryin making things from clay for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back