Battle Damage and Weathering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir HappyBear I

I'm almost done with my ODST but i was wondering hoe you guys do the battle damage on your armor? Do you use a woodburning tool or just a knife?
And i was wondering if you need to do the weathering before or after the clear coat?

Thanks in advance!

For 3-d Damage, dents, cuts, gouges, scraps, both options you list are good choices, especially if working with foam. Don't forget you can use a dremel.

For paint scratches and scuffs, I start with a base layer of silver. I then mask off where I want the silver paint to show through either with painters tape, tooth paste, liquid latex, mustard, or rubber cement. I have used all of them and thy all have their place depending on budget and desired effect. I then put down my successive layers of paint, and once dry, I remove the mask medium to revel the base silver layer.

I then hit my pieces with a watered down wash of brown and black acrylic paint. Once satisfied, I will put the matte clear coat on last to seal the acrylic paint down (Since acrylic is water soluble.)

For 3-d Damage, dents, cuts, gouges, scraps, both options you list are good choices, especially if working with foam. Don't forget you can use a dremel.

For paint scratches and scuffs, I start with a base layer of silver. I then mask off where I want the silver paint to show through either with painters tape, tooth paste, liquid latex, mustard, or rubber cement. I have used all of them and thy all have their place depending on budget and desired effect. I then put down my successive layers of paint, and once dry, I remove the mask medium to revel the base silver layer.

I then hit my pieces with a watered down wash of brown and black acrylic paint. Once satisfied, I will put the matte clear coat on last to seal the acrylic paint down (Since acrylic is water soluble.)
Does it have to be a matte clear coat for the best result?

It doesn't have to be matte, I just find using a gloss to be kind of counter productive to weathering your armor. If your gear is battle worn, it's probably not shiny anymore, right? A matte will knock the shine off and make your gear look that much more worn and lived in.

Gloss clearcoat, paint scratches, then weather over the top of that. I love mixing as many colors of dirt and grime as I can and even plan on using modge podge and sand to create actual textures on places such as the boots. On my wood sheild a wood burner and over heating the foam after cutting with a knife gives a great effect, but I prefer to not do this on my armors

I'm going to use toothpaste, but do i need to let it dry before i paint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back