Props Beam Rifle Wip *new Pictures Page 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a really nice build. I guess I'm a little late to the party with lighting suggestions, but you could make a light diffuser from acrylic rod. Inset an LED in each end, and buff the surface with fine steel wool. The light will refract evenly inside the rod and exit anywhere there is a scratch on the surface, like where you've buffed it and put millions of microscopic scratches on it.
[attachment=7488:light_diffuser.JPG]

lol you can burn an eye out, this reminds me of a very funny movie involving a red ridder BB gun.

I think movie is called 24 hours of a chirstmas story.

I couldn't see those new pics Jason.

Last edited by a moderator:
ACDCrockr209 said:
I think movie is called 24 hours of a chirstmas story.

I couldn't see those new pics Jason.

Odd. I''m actually uploading the new progress photos to the 405th gallery. ill give you the links to the new ones.

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464...2_861_56939.jpg

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464..._861_337006.jpg

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464..._861_189382.jpg

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464..._861_238796.jpg

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464..._861_118091.jpg

http://405th.com/forums/uploads/1223785464..._861_171064.jpg

thats all the new ones.

Jason 'Biff' H said:
thats not a bad idea loess, thanks. how much do those rods weigh btw?

They'll be really light, acrylic is the generic name for the polymer Plexiglass is made from. I did a quick search on McMaster-Carr and found acrylic rods and half-rounds. The rods are available in clear and a couple translucent colors. You might be able to tint the rod after buffing the surface, but I haven't tried it. Here's a store with some tinting fluid for coloring acrylic optics parts.

thanks for the advice loess. I'll see if i can get a small sample of it somewhere before buying a bit.

another small (actually bigger) update. I now have the whole over shell laid down. It looks like i actually got the 1:1 scaling off too lol the rifle is 1 foot shorter than its IRL complement. (4 foot total)

med_gallery_6752_861_235690.jpg

med_gallery_6752_861_294581.jpg

med_gallery_6752_861_252219.jpg

sorry the mirror shot doesn't give a better idea how big it is compared to the human body. i've been up all night messing with this and am not exactly looking my best.

damn that thing is huge.....and even if it only fires a laser that burns,..actually...thats pretty kewl too, but you could always at least club somone to death with it....or laser them in the eye....j/k never go for the eyes.....unless you a zombie....any ways this is kewl what your doign....rock on

reactor beam said:
Honestly I do NOT believe you're actually buying this 1,999 dollar laser............

i've already got one.. well two.. one doesn't work so well.. one spyder II GX and the BX.

i actually tried selling the blue one awhile ago in this thread. so heres a bit of proof:

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12949

the pics between the youtube bid and the last pic at the bottom in the link are all taken by me.

i've got a bit of disposable income to get these things every now and then.

Thanks again to everyone for the support on the project. theres always some frustrating points building this and your comments keep me from smashing the thing in a fit. :lol:

This project's timing is uncanny. I was just finishing up my circuit for the lighting and firing mechanism of the beam rifle. Looking good tho Biff! Btw, my firing system is a laser like that, but ALOT cheaper. ;)

Gokussj5okazu said:
This project's timing is uncanny. I was just finishing up my circuit for the lighting and firing mechanism of the beam rifle. Looking good tho Biff! Btw, my firing system is a laser like that, but ALOT cheaper. ;)

could you contact me later on AIM so we could discuss at length the electronics for the beam rifle? I'd be interested in either learning how to fabricate my own electronics board or buy one off of you. If its anything like your other electronics kits I've seen, it should be great. My AIM address is listed in my profile.

I won't be able to talk tonight though, I'm running out to help a friend build a small rail gun and make sure the guy doesn't electrocute himself (he wants to plug a cord into his mains supply and step down 110VAC to around 12VAC with a homemade transformer )

Jason 'Biff' H said:
could you contact me later on AIM so we could discuss at length the electronics for the beam rifle? I'd be interested in either learning how to fabricate my own electronics board or buy one off of you. If its anything like your other electronics kits I've seen, it should be great. My AIM address is listed in my profile.

I won't be able to talk tonight though, I'm running out to help a friend build a small rail gun and make sure the guy doesn't electrocute himself (he wants to plug a cord into his mains supply and step down 110VAC to around 12VAC with a homemade transformer )

Have fun with that. Its looking good, that thing is a beast. The acrylic rod idea is good, way to go Loess. You could also use transparent acrylic paint to get the color you want also. Probably cheaper and it cleans with water.

wow 4 feet tall!
that looks great. you are making me want to go build weapons now. that circular part, those are pepping hell. I don't know if you've ever built ODST before(I'm making mine) but the part on the chest has a little circular piece that is about an inch in diameter. I eventually got so frustrated that I just hot glued the whole thing. It looks fine though. I'm sure my friends aren't going to go hunting for every single screwup I made
later all

vanalla said:
wow 4 feet tall!
that looks great. you are making me want to go build weapons now. that circular part, those are pepping hell. I don't know if you've ever built ODST before(I'm making mine) but the part on the chest has a little circular piece that is about an inch in diameter. I eventually got so frustrated that I just hot glued the whole thing. It looks fine though. I'm sure my friends aren't going to go hunting for every single screwup I made
later all

heh i know exactly what you mean. if you look at the beam rifle pep file, the whole circular magazine portion is made of 16 pieces which need to mesh together perfectly otherwise it looks lopsided.

Been awhile since I've posted anythingo n this so i figured i'd put up an update.

Well, to be exact, I dont have any new updates on this thing. ever since christmas and new years rolled around, I've been busy as can be and i'm back on campus now studying like mad. I'm hoping i can get a fire lit under my ass to finish this thing up before spring break starts (at least the pep stage would be good for me). Soon as i get some superglue and put some parts together, I'll put up some more pics.

nice build. But is there any way i can get someone to upload the file to a different host? Or even a pdf file? My computer wont allow me to download from 4-shared for some reason that i cant fix. Ive made it my mission to create a full armada of weapons and i want to make a beam rifle after i finish my needler.

angry_cabbage said:
nice build. But is there any way i can get someone to upload the file to a different host? Or even a pdf file? My computer wont allow me to download from 4-shared for some reason that i cant fix. Ive made it my mission to create a full armada of weapons and i want to make a beam rifle after i finish my needler.

I'll take a crack at converting it to PDF for you a bit later once I'm done with exams today. I should have it up sometime after 5:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back