Beaver's ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Firstly, I would like to appologize in advance, as I anticipate this to be a lengthy build. Life has a way of getting in the way of doing some of the more enjoyable hobbies... However, I will post progress as I move along.

I have pepped the chest piece, mid stomach and left stomach pieces. I have pepped afew different files until I finally found afew pieces that I was happy with. In the picture below, you may still notice that I have slightly modified the pieces that I did use. I have added and omited afew details that I felt I would like to have or will be added later.

100_0998.jpg

A big thank you to Nightshade, Hugh, and Kirrou for your ODST files. They have been amazing to build. I plan to continue to and look forward to building more of your pieces.

I have along way to go, and many more pieces to complete. There are still afew details for this project that I am still undecided about. I understand that your personal armour build can be completed in any way you feel fit, but I would like to try to stay somewhat politically correct. Having said that Im looking for afew opinions...

1. In ODST, Dare wore the Recon helmet. Was this a female option only? Provided only to ONI operatives? Would the Recon helmet be out of place with a standard ODST? Does anybody have a recommendation for a pep Recon helmet file. I have downloaded the one available from the Wiki files...

2. Are all ODST armours dark/gun metal grey? Im leaning towards possibly making my armour plates, shins, helmet etc, heavliy weathered and white. Would this be totally incorrect? It may come out looking like a hybrid storm trooper... :(

Thanks again for your time, and Im looking forward to sharring my progress with all and hearing any comments or critisizms anybody may have.

Attachments

• 100_0998.jpg
    100_0998.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 92
Nice work so far mate. To answer your questions, I believe the Rocon helmet is only for ONI operatives. It's bit necessarily out of place with the default helmet, you'll just be recognized as higher ranking.
The ODST bdu is dark grey/black. I would stick with a dark grey because it has a more metal look to it and looks gray with some chrome battle damage.

looking good and yes the recon is for ONI OPERTIVES and the color is all up to you. we had frieds do desert and snow versions at CC 2010 and if u pay attention in halo 3 the odst's are lighter colors then in odst so its all up to how you want yours to look.....

Looks good, like the others said Recon is wore only by ONI and colors are up to your taste of them. You might want to go with a camo style for different terrains either based on where you live or types you like.

2. Are all ODST armours dark/gun metal grey? Im leaning towards possibly making my armour plates, shins, helmet etc, heavliy weathered and white. Would this be totally incorrect? It may come out looking like a hybrid storm trooper... :(

Good to see you're finally starting on what you really like :)

About the colour... I'm not an expert on ODSTs, but personally I would always prefer to give a fighting unit a combat-capable colour scheme or camo pattern. Sure, there are all kinds of sensors and stuff in Halo and nobody really seems to care about colours, but your audience will probably be less immersed in the universe and thus look at the subject from a more "earthly" viewpoint. And down here, the fact is: nobody goes into combat wearing bright orange armour or something like that. That's like putting up a "shoot me" sign.
But of course, it's your costume, and it can look awesome with any colour, so if you like white, make it so :)

Thank you all for the replies. I still have a long way to go before I worry too much about the colour. Chances are I'll change my mind afew times along the way...

With any luck I'll have afew more pieces pepped out later today. I'll post again when I have some progress.

Sorry for the delay, and double post...

I have gotten afew more of the pieces pepped out. I completed the stomach pieces, belt buckle, and a hinged shoulder. I didnt bother with any pictures, as Im sure youve all seen pictures of pepped pieces before.

I did manage to do alittle editing and came up with a rough idea of what I may do. Still not sure about the white tho...

BeaverODSTWIP.jpg

Attachments

• BeaverODSTWIP.jpg
    BeaverODSTWIP.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
1. In ODST, Dare wore the Recon helmet. Was this a female option only? Provided only to ONI operatives? Would the Recon helmet be out of place with a standard ODST? Does anybody have a recommendation for a pep Recon helmet file. I have downloaded the one available from the Wiki files...

Thanks again for your time, and Im looking forward to sharring my progress with all and hearing any comments or critisizms anybody may have.

1. It's possible it was only issued to ONI operatives, but that in no way means it was issued EXCLUSIVELY to Dare. You'll be fine with it.

2. If you're leaning towards a grey/white thing, just say it's a digital/winter camo pattern armour. ODSTs are made to drop on all manner of areas, it makes sense to have camouflage armour.

2. If you're leaning towards a grey/white thing, just say it's a digital/winter camo pattern armour. ODSTs are made to drop on all manner of areas, it makes sense to have camouflage armour.
Halo 3 - The Ark

No camo suited to that environment, but they did jump not knowing where they would end up soooo.....

Well here is an update....however lame it may be.

Its been a very crazy couple of weeks that included a disfunctional heating furnace that left my house with out any heat during undoubtably was the coldest week of the year (-45'). Unfortunately, progress has been even slower that I would have hoped. I did manage to almsot complete the chest piece, however Im unhappy with it, and may scrap it and start again with hughs or Kirros file. We'll see. I will try to post a pic soon. I am almost 99% sure I will be building the main upper body armor with foam. This will be another first for me, and should be interesting.

Ive started a progress pic to show my very slow and lame progress.

As always any comments are always welcomed.

ODSTWIP.jpg

Attachments

• ODSTWIP.jpg
    ODSTWIP.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 94
How do you do the pic thingy with the colors? ^^

I had seen other members with similar pictures used as their avatar to show their build progress. I had thought there might have been a program similar to Vanity (Reach Armor Builder) so I did abit of searching and came up empty handed. What I ended up doing was using the base picture of the ODST found in Hugh's thread, and modifying it using a editing program called GIMP. Its very similar to Photoshop, except its free.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back