BEHOLD, the Future in Cutting & Scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay,

So i was working on some pep stuff at my grandparents during spring Break, and was complaining about the mind
numbing process of cutting and scoring. When my Grandpa, suddenly shot out a suggestion.
A Rotary Trimmer. He happened to have one and let me try it.
Basically put, a rotary trimmer is for cutting,scoring,or perforating paper. It has a circular blade (like a pizza cutter) on a single Axis, attached to a small table. The Blades are changeable, and there are vast types of blades.

So i tried it out, and it was Godly,
i cut and scored a piece (like whole set of pages) that took me three days to do last time i did it,
in about 2 hours.

It worked perfect and obviously cut my time.
The cuts are perfect, the scores are perfect and fold no problem.

Here are some pictures,
0404081423.jpg

This Particular table is made by Fiskars, and these things are really cheap (like $40 for a professional one)
0404081445.jpg

0404081424.jpg

0404081432.jpg

0404081431.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera was acting odd.

The tabled i used is the Cheap one this company makes, and it worked amazing.
These tables all pretty much are around the same price throughout companies. CARL also makes some good ones.
So if you are tired of spending tedious hours or days cutting and scoring, then invest in
one of these. They will give you PERFECT cuts and scores everytime, and will cut your
time by alot. And it's less mind numbing then doing it all by hand.
This should save money compared to buying Pens,Rulers,Razor Blades, etc. to do it all by hand.
I even tried some really complex parts on this thing and it did it flawlessy. And within 20 minutes i was really good at using it,
and had figured all the little nuiances out and how to do certain peices.

So all in all, i hope this can help other people here in the community.
It's definately worth the money, and it's WAY cheaper than the CRAFTRobo (auto cutting printer)
And it will S.Y.S (Save Your Sanity) and give you perfect Results.
Heres a link to the one i used, i found it for cheaper elsewhere,
*CLICK HERE*
If you do decide to get one, make sure you buy one that allows you to change ROTARY BLADES, so you can attach scoring blades, etc.
Because they do sell just cutters, but they won't work well since they cut strait and you can't decide where the blade cuts.
The one i used lets you decide when the blade goes down to make contact with the paper, so you can do precise cuts.

Hope this helps

-Justin

RandomMarine7 said:
Daaaamn thats one heck of a device you've got - awesome price too I bet tons of pepakura modelers here would love that!

Oh yes, thank you.

When i first used it, and went to look in my folder where i was keeping the sheets i was amazed there wasn't anymore to do.
There was several Hours of Awe where i couldn't get over how easy and quick it was.

-Justin

Last edited by a moderator:
NZ-TK said:
Looks cool, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of these doodickers.

Yeah,
if not online,
you should be able to find these at art stores, or office supply stores (staples,office depot, etc.)
I love how realtively inexpensive they are.

-Justin

Neat, but I don't think that extra 1/32" of accuracy doesn't really matter by the time you've built up and smoothed everything.
Just grab a 5$ exacto knife and be done with it. *shrug*

Vrogy is kinda right but id had something with the exacto a ruler thats the best duo
but its still is a good thing you got there i remember we had one of those at school

I don't know that the extra accuracy is the selling point so much as the fact that it streamlines the cutting and scoring process. Now all of the time you used to spend lining up a ruler and knife (or pen/stylus) is reduced. For one cut or score it's not a lot of time, but now that I've finished cutting and scoring a few of the HD pep pieces, I'm thankful for any suggestion that would save me even a small percentage of that time. Especially when you consider the thousands of iterations of the process involved.

This idea has a lot of merit if you ask me.

I tried pep once and was ready to stab myself with the exacto knife before I finished it. If this thing would save time I might be willing to try pep again. Nice idea.

bump,This is probably worth the money, but 40$
can be used on bondo, resin, cardstock, ect. .
Usually I make my stuff by scratch
unless it's very hard to create, I.e helmets
However, I'll see what I can do with this.
Thanks for the tip!
:D

thorssoli said:
I don't know that the extra accuracy is the selling point so much as the fact that it streamlines the cutting and scoring process. Now all of the time you used to spend lining up a ruler and knife (or pen/stylus) is reduced. For one cut or score it's not a lot of time, but now that I've finished cutting and scoring a few of the HD pep pieces, I'm thankful for any suggestion that would save me even a small percentage of that time. Especially when you consider the thousands of iterations of the process involved.

Thanks,

Well,
I personally feel this is FAR better than the XACTO Ruler Combo, because
A) Time Spent Lining up Ruler is gone,
B)The Precision is Key because, on some pieces, that small amount maybe cut off or not enough cut, can cause the whole peice to be skewed,
this is especially true with making parts symetrical.
C) If you score with a razor blade, and accidentally cut too deep, the part is very messed up,
with the scoring tool on this, it doesn't cut through, and once again the time is cut by a long shot.
So i do agree that most of this is time based facts, but that's somewhat the point. To save time and do an even better job than the old way.
Of course it all depends on what you wanna do,
i've done tons of pep, and hated every moment of cutting and scoring. this definately helped me alot.
But like the old saying goes,
Theres more than one way to skin a cat,
Meaning theres more than one way to do the same job.

This for a price does a better job than the old way, and ensures precision, and saves time while doing it better.

So it's a good deal if you got the cash and would wrather do things faster more precisely.
I'm just a perfectionist, so i guess that's why i support it :D

I digress

-Justin

EDIT:
Thanks Everyone!
Lovin' the feed back :D

If you have trouble affording a 40$ cutter, its beyond me why you think you can afford to make armour, let alone a helmet.

i like the good old fashioned way of doin it, it gets it done without fancy equipment.

but it looks like this could be a good investment for those who have a horrible freehand cutting experience, or take too long to cut out stuff.

this definitley deserved to be heard, though. good idea, but ill stick to my knife and pen for now.

NZ-TK said:
If you have trouble affording a 40$ cutter, its beyond me why you think you can afford to make armour, let alone a helmet.

That is a good point,
i agree.

Unless they are doing it over a LONG period of time and have limeted cash income.
But that brings up the life's lesson on PRIORITIES :D

So that is a good point,
$40 bucks isn't alot to spend if you are planning on just making the helmet or suit.

Plus the way i see it,
This thing has so many more applications than just cutting and scoring pep.
Especially if you do graphic design and graphic arts,
you can get so many different types of blades for scoring, cutting, patterns, perforating. The possibilities are endless.

-Justin

thorssoli said:

Hey, whatever works. I personally don't even use a ruler, a low angle with an exacto keeps the scoring line very straight.
Check your PMs, BTW, I had a couple questions about your cold casting method.

Actually my friend THIS is the future in cutting and scoring :D
29-0001.jpg

Its a computerized cutter used for just about anything related to paper cutting for scrap booking.
It doesn't cut very large designs so for all the small sections that fit on standard sheets, its perfect.

Now if that isn't big enough, there's always the FURTHER FUTURE in cutting
ct_1.jpg

Ploter cutter

CPU64 said:

LOL

Like i said,
If you don't wanna drop $200+ on a CRAFTRobo, or the like,
this works great.

LOL
Yeah, i wouldn't mind the FURTHER FUTURE if it scored too,
for all i know it probably can.

-Justin

EDIT: Looking at the circular blades on that thing, it looks like it has a scoring blade too. NICE.

CPU64 said:
29-0001.jpg

Its a computerized cutter used for just about anything related to paper cutting for scrap booking.
It doesn't cut very large designs so for all the small sections that fit on standard sheets, its perfect.

Now if that isn't big enough, there's always the FURTHER FUTURE in cutting
ct_1.jpg

Ploter cutter

I'm sorry to tell you but Circut cutters only cut using pre programed shapes it would take a ton of progaming skills to make it a little practical for pepakura.

But maybe check out instructables.com and search laser cutters to learn more about them.

Actually, those ploters will take any vector file and cut it up like butter.
There's also an attachment that will "scan" your printed lines and convert them and start cutting. You don't even have to input anything. The thing teaches itself what to cut! :D

CPU64 said:
Actually, those ploters will take any vector file and cut it up like butter.
There's also an attachment that will "scan" your printed lines and convert them and start cutting. You don't even have to input anything. The thing teaches itself what to cut! :D

NICE!

That would be handy, just give it instructions not to cut the dotted, and dot dash, lines.

*mr.burns voice* Excellent....

-Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back