Bondo Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
box o crayons said:
you need to add your bondo in thin layers youve used way way to much
It may have been a little much, but my bondo file took it off in no time at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The overall shape looks really good but few things:
It looks like you also have the top "dents/vents" backwards. You might of pepped it wrong on that spot. Also did you FB the outside?

JediStumpy said:
The overall shape looks really good but few things:
It looks like you also have the top "dents/vents" backwards. You might of pepped it wrong on that spot. Also did you FB the outside?
No totally done on purpose. Check out my gallery and I have done it this way for three helmets, I dig the mohawk look. I Fiberglassed it for sure I don't skip steps.

The problem he's pointing out is that you've put the fiberglass on the outside. This covers up a lot of the details you worked so hard to build into your pep model. If you 'glass the inside instead, you keep your details and still get the added strength of the fiberglass. Also, when you put the bondo on as thick as you did, it just means more work and materials are wasted when you carve it down to the shape you want. Can you do it that way? Yes, but there's an easier way.

If you fiberglass the inside of the helmet instead of the outside, you only have to smooth out the parts that need smoothing (i.e., the curved parts that are hard to build by folding pieces of paper). If you put the bondo on thin, you won't have to spend as much time or make as much of a mess grinding it all off.

You might be able to create a respectable product the way you've been doing it, but you're making more work for yourself.

thorssoli said:
The problem he's pointing out is that you've put the fiberglass on the outside. This covers up a lot of the details you worked so hard to build into your pep model. If you 'glass the inside instead, you keep your details and still get the added strength of the fiberglass. Also, when you put the bondo on as thick as you did, it just means more work and materials are wasted when you carve it down to the shape you want. Can you do it that way? Yes, but there's an easier way.

If you fiberglass the inside of the helmet instead of the outside, you only have to smooth out the parts that need smoothing (i.e., the curved parts that are hard to build by folding pieces of paper). If you put the bondo on thin, you won't have to spend as much time or make as much of a mess grinding it all off.

You might be able to create a respectable product the way you've been doing it, but you're making more work for yourself.
Man I grew up in Cloverdale. Anyways I dig the work, it's like an awesome wood carving. I have the tools, it's really not a lot of effort. The glass work if you know what your doing and you prep your cloth before you apply resin you can keep every detail and have a solid base for your bondo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back