Bondo detailing tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara

I posted this in my freelancer build thread but I thought it might be easier to find in here.

In this tutorial I cover the techniques I use to build up detail using bondo.

If there's interest, I may do some more videos on bondo work and possibly molding & casting. If there's anything you'd like to see covered let me know.

Cheers
Sara

Last edited by a moderator:
great tut thank you.
I still have one question after watching this. How do you make such sharp lines where two faces meet? I feel that in my own builds it isn't my strong suit and i may need to change my strategy.

Thank you again

great tut thank you.
I still have one question after watching this. How do you make such sharp lines where two faces meet? I feel that in my own builds it isn't my strong suit and i may need to change my strategy.

Thank you again

I may make a second video on basic shaping. The best advice I can give is to always bondo faces separately. If I have two faces that join to make a valley (like a V for example) I would never apply bondo to both sides at once, do one, shape it and then do the second one. If I manage to lose the line between faces it helps to fold a piece of sandpaper in half and use the folded edge to bring the line back. For Mountain edges I still usually apply separately but it's not as big of a deal as the valleys.

Everyone has different methods but I cringe a bit when I see a whole piece covered in bondo, I could never make that work, although some do, I'm not putting anyone down here it's just not how I shape mine. Apart from carving the rubbery bondo the best advice I could give is to work strategically with the faces. Sometimes how you apply the bondo can be as important as how you sand it down, you can really use it to your advantage.

I had a look at the thread in your signature, you have some really nice work there :)

Thanks, I think I will be doing more videos in the future, probably covering basic shaping, molding & casting and vac-forming.

I have to say, this is very helpful, and well executed, I am to the point where I can use these techniques on my current build. Im excited for a change in weather so I can get back to work! I am very much looking forward to future videos. Keep up the great work

thanks for the video, that helps a lot. im only on my first actual helmet and at the detailing stage and its for the amount of time i've put in it, it still looks like crap.

I just discovered this thread and the video was fun to watch. Love the sense of humor and how each step is covered rather than skipping portions with "sorry, forgot to turn on the camera". I'll have to keep an eye out for more.

Thank you Sara for making this vid... awesome work

and thank you RobotChicken for digging it up... I learned something new that I otherwise would never have had you not done some diligent electronic archeology!

Ditto, I'd love some walk through video of molding and casting. For the most part all the molding and cast stuff I see here is on helmets, armor pieces might be dead easy, but then again they might not and I'd like clarification on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back