Bondo-glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodwaker

Jr Member
So I'm fiberglassing my first helmet and went to get all the saftey stuff and cloth and resin and what not. So when I went to The Home Depot they did have all the cloth and saftey equipment but they were out of bondo fiber glass resin. So they reccomended this they said it's a little bit different but twice as sturdy and less dangerous. I picked it up since it was only 7$.

Bondo-Glass is a unique reinforced filler containing short, interlocking fiberglass strands and fibers that make it twice as strong as regular body filler. Repairs small (dime size or smaller) rusted-out metal holes and shattered fiberglass body parts. PERFECT FOR MARINE USE! Eliminates the need for backing strips, fiberglass resin or cloth on small holes and rusted out areas. Sandable in only 20 minutes and compatible with all paint systems. Waterproof. Includes Red Cream Hardener.

"It also sais in the description it's for small holes but the guy said it would work on the kind of thing I'm doing and can be used as an alternative towards fiberglass or you can return it."

So here's a pic and there's the description. Do you think it will work or should I return it?

Did you check Wal-Mart or Lowes for Resin? Or even a local auto parts store like Oreilly's or Autozone. I can find that being hard to spread and get down easily, and just a lot heavier. I don't think it'll give the type of strength that Fiberglass/resin give either.

Not a lowes for miles and miles but theres a walmart but i looked online and my walmart doesn't carry em I could try autozone next time I go out though. They almost always have it but there far away and I didn't feel like going back out lol

Is it a liquid or a solid? If it came with red hardner then I guess its more like a body filler. I recommend you to find fiberglass resin and if they don't have bondo brand use Elmer brand fiberglass same stuff different company.
Because that Bondo-Glass looks like its like Sigmas Mud meaning you have to have a fiberglass surface before using it.

That's what I think.

-Baddog9000

It's a liquid it's pretty much just a hardener I read online that It hardens almost anything it just needs a host (meaning something for it to be on)

I'm thinking that since it has a red cream hardener, and not a liquid one, I'm guessing it's just bondo in a can with some fiberglass shreds in it.

lol ive never hardened with anything like this before ive only done the hot glue method but will it work I know how to use it I just want your opinion if you think it will do.

Well.. Like I said, I think that applying it would be clunky, and that it's generally just normal body filler with fiberglass shreds in it.

Ya Rouge right just find some bondo and Fiberglass resin so you want mess up your work.
Because going out side the box is great and helps people find out new ways to do stuff, But it also has more repercussions.

I actually have a can of this and used it ONLY to reinforce a little area in the undeside of my visor that was still slightly flexible after fiberglassing. It is a dark grey color and VERY thick and doesn't smooth well at all. I guess you could thin it out a bit but you'd still have to deal with the hairs. If it wasn't a hidden area inside a visor I would never use it.

I would definately recommend regular fibergalssing and bondo.

i used similar stuff it actually is pretty hard to work with like cap was sayin... its a great reinforcer in hidden areas, but its hard to smoothen out the strands do get annoying though unless you can try smoothing it out with a pair of rubber gloves and just spread it on then jsut use your finger to smoothen it out

The stuff you have is basically kitty hair/duraglass (goes by quite a few different names). While good for building up on fiberglass, its no where near ideal for actually doing the resin/glass part.

Flat out, the guy lied to you.
If you try to fiberglass your helmet using this stuff, you're going to hate life. it requires alot of pressure to apply correctly, meaning warping and the like, and it sands like rock. Better to return it and find some place else that has the resin, or hang on to it and use it later for building out areas/reinforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back