Bondo Glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the Australian equivalent of 'bondo glass' and in the tub was literally bondo with really finely chopped fiberglass strands. But I can't say what that one is exactly.. But it would roughly be the same right? Sorry not much help here from me.. I'm interested in what that is now :)

I used it to make a mother mold. Its nice, works pretty well for what I did, but as much as I like sanding,I wouldnt use it anywhere I need a lot of detail.

Great filler though. And good reinforcer.

I tried making rondo out of this and it worked but i did not notice any difference in if it was stronger. Plus this stuff is normally more expensive than regular body filler.

BondoGlass is good stuff, but it's most useful for reinforcing edges of pep pieces. I used it quite a bit in my ODST. You can see where I used it to attach some detail pieces HERE. It's the brown stuff around the inset pieces.

Just to give you an idea of the static durability of this stuff, I used this stuff to help my dad fix an outdoor patio table last may. The umbrella had Mary Poppins'd off and ripped the center of the table all to hell. We had to pry up the surrounding tiles that were glued onto the table and chop out something like a 1 square foot section out of the middle of the main tabletop with an angle grinder leaving a square hole right through the table about 3/8" thick. Then we taped a piece of vaselined plywood to the underside as a form and poured in a layer of bondo glass on top of it. We used a single layer of coarse steel screen material running through it for reinforcement (the rest of the table has the existing steel welding mesh/fabric reinforcement running through some sort of lightweight concrete material that makes up the surface for the tiles to fix to) over the top of the first layer and then let it cure before we poured on a second layer. After that we drilled a hole through the center of the patch for the umbrella, siliconed the tiles back in place, had the guys at the granite store cut a hole in a sample tile that we used to replace the center tile that shattered in the accident, used a brass pipe fitting through the tile and into the patch for strength when using the umbrella, re-grouted the table, and sealed it. It has not been moved back in side once since we got done with it, and it has survived last summer, snowpocalypse over the winter, and the extreme heat of this summer and it has yet to warp, crack, or drop out of the bottom of the table.

If you feel like you need this particular form of overkill for your armor, it will not let you down! However, it is a bit heavier than normal bondo so take that into account. Also if you really need an extreme fix they do sell metal filled bondo which is a silver color, basically it's bondo with aluminum powder mixed in as a reinforcement. I can't speak as to the durability of this stuff on large scale applications but bondo claims that it can be tap and died as well as machined after it cures.

I used the stuff on my Mk V as reenforcement on the torso piece. Its more like a resin jelly with small strands of fiberglass. Like they've been saying, don't use it on the exterior cause its kind of a pain in the arse to sand. Not sure how it would work as rondo on the interior of a helmet or something but hey, give it a shot! We all like to learn new methods, right? :D

Used this on my helmet and to fix a few places on my torso that had ari bubles I had to cut out. It is stronger than regulat bondo and as said, heavier and a little harder to work with, You can mix it in a rondo like fason, but it's gonna be thicker than if you did it with straight up bondo, if you do that you can almost forget about hand sanding it down.

well it is was alittle more expensive and i used for the inside of the helmet,a pain to spread evenly. next build in just going to use rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back