Bondo Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Sauce

Jr Member
Hey 405th, I've read a lot of tutorials and I get the jist of it.

Yet a question is still in my mind..

Do you bondo the inside of the piece as well, or just the outside?

Cheers,

Spartan-Sauce

Spartan-Sauce said:
Hey 405th, I've read a lot of tutorials and I get the jist of it.

Yet a question is still in my mind..

Do you bondo the inside of the piece as well, or just the outside?

Cheers,

Spartan-Sauce

Bondo is a filler material used to fill crevices and such. Its generally used to smooth out the defects and add more detail to the outside of your piece. In your other thread i read that some use it to get to places that fiberglass doesnt easily fill and then fiberglass over that. Just remember, Bondo isnt a strengthing material like glass is so dont use it as an alternative to fiberglassing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mavrick said:
Bondo is a filler material used to fill crevices and such. Its generally used to smooth out the defects and add more detail to the outside of your piece. In your other thread i read that some use it to get to places that fiberglass doesnt easily fill and then fiberglass over that. Just remember, Bondo isnt a strengthing material like glass is so dont use it as an alternative to fiberglassing.

No no no no no no...

Sorry if I made myself a little unclear.

I know how to apply the bondo etc and I'm not thinking of using it for replacing the fibreglass,

Just curious if AFTER you've glassed a piece do you bondo the inside?

Cheers again,

-Spartan-Sauce

Spartan-Sauce said:
No no no no no no...

Sorry if I made myself a little unclear.

I know how to apply the bondo etc and I'm not thinking of using it for replacing the fibreglass,

Just curious if AFTER you've glassed a piece do you bondo the inside?

Cheers again,

-Spartan-Sauce

no, unless your gonna detail the inside...

rundown said:
no, unless your gonna detail the inside...

Nahh, was just curious, I've seen videos of people doing their armour,

and one just looked like it had bondo on the inside.

I'm loading up my helmet with speakers so i was just wondering how much space I would end up having is all.

Cheers,

-Spartan-Sauce

I take the dremel to the inside of my pieces, shave down any sharp edges that may be stuck up around corners and such then I make a really runny batch of mud/rondo (resin-bondo mixture) and use my hands just to smear it over the entire interior. It makes it a bit smoother, a litle sturdier and the added weight is negligible.

i like mac's idea. personally i'll try that one out, but i need to finish the smaller stuff first before i move onto the kevlar an chest plates

ya mac's idea is the best if u want to do the inside. and i do suggest doing the inside, that way u don't have glass fibers sticking into ur skin.

If you really think about it, bondoing the inside or using mud is basically like putting plastic in it. It gets the sharp fiberglass edges out of the way. It adds weight but makes it cleaner. Like others have said. It's totally up to you.

So let me get this straight. Do you layer the outside with like an inch or two of Bondo, let it dry and then carve it for detail?

Well yes and no.

You use bondo to get a smooth surface. A Pepakura model has all kinds of corners in them so you use bondo to make a clean surface. You can also make details with bondo but that a bid harder. Normally you use other stuff to make the details on the helmets, but if you need to created a line on the helmet go ahead and carve it in (which is done by a dremel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back