Boomco magnum repaint+removable mag

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by mumgoot, Aug 10, 2018.

1. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

So I got a Boomco magnum recently and I have started the process of making it realistic. I'm going to leave out the internals in order to make it a non-firing replica, but the trigger still works, and hopefully I can get the slide to work when I put it all back together. I plan on getting rid of the brand marks, and I will fill in most if not all of the screws.

original gun

That is the magazine well/grip after I dremeled out the dart holders.

Airsoft magazine that I modified by cutting off the bottom plate (cheapo spring mag btw)

airsoft mag epoxied into magnum base plate

gun disassembled. I couldn't figure out how to get the trigger working again after taking it apart, but thankfully I found pictures online. I learned a good thing: ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLE SOMETHING SO YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER! It will save you headaches.

I also noticed that the front laser sight/dart holder could be filled in with putty and that would be neat, instead of having those stupid dart grooves. As for the magazine, I plan on placing strips of metal along the sides of the mag well and then attaching thin magnets to the sides of the magazine. Hopefully there will be enough room, it appears that there will be a bit of clearance in there. A release button would be cool, but that's too complicated for me.

2. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

I filled in the laser sight dart grooves with putty. I rolled up some tin foil and stuffed it in the grooves so I could save some putty. I also dremeled off the boomco and halo logos and the mattel branding. Then I need to sand, figure out the mag retention, reassemble, fill in screws, and start the painting process.

IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2573.JPG

3. IPv6 Subnet

IPv6 Subnet Member

Yeah great work so far! I like the choice of weapon you picked! Good luck on the process of making it look more realistic!

mumgoot likes this.
  4. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Projects been held up a bit. Lack of motivation and uncertainty about what kind of paint to use. I'm thinking of forgoing the removable mag, as I still need to find metal plates for it, and I would not expect it to work extremely well anyway. If I just epoxy it into place, I might add some weight in there and give it a nice heft.

5. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

The heavier it is, the less effective any magnetic attachment will be.

6. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Right, but I'm probably going to permanently attach it with epoxy because I don't think the removable feature is really worth it.

7. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

I mean the side arm to the armor, not the mag to the mag well.

mumgoot likes this.
  8. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Oh! Right, that is a good point. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll keep it in mind.

9. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Ok, so I super glued the magazine in place, and reassembled the gun. I gutted all of the internals, the only part that will be movable/working is the trigger. I superglued the slide as well. I have pretty much finished all of the sanding and preparation, so paint will be the next step, but not sure what I want to use yet.

10. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

I spray painted a base layer with gray primer. I think I'm going to brush-paint it using model enamels and then figure out what I'll do from there. IMG_2745.JPG

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  11. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Made some progress, I ordered some silver ruff n buff for the metallic components.

IMG_2778.JPG

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  12. marscreature

marscreature New Member

Just got one and am having some disassembly problems with the metal pin on the slide. Does that just need to get hit really hard to pop out?
    Also, Love the detachable mag idea and might come up with something for myself like that.

13. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Good question. I can't say I exactly remember. Are you talking about the one in the front of the slide? I had to cut the plastic holders for that one using a wire cutter. So I kind of "strong-armed" it out.

14. Kula

Kula Member

I took mine apart then found its easier to paint it in one piece

mumgoot likes this.
  15. Kula

Kula Member

So this was the finish.

20181026_033559.jpg

16. mumgoot

mumgoot Member

Nice! Has a good worn look to it. Is that rub n buff or just regular silver paint? I still need to finish mine. I want to paint the parts that are currently dark gray, a black or very dark grey, and I need to finish the rub n buff and polish it.

17. Kula

Kula Member

Rub and buff is always good. Use a face cloth or something. Its better to use for that weathered look