Props Boomco magnum repaint+removable mag

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

So I got a Boomco magnum recently and I have started the process of making it realistic. I'm going to leave out the internals in order to make it a non-firing replica, but the trigger still works, and hopefully I can get the slide to work when I put it all back together. I plan on getting rid of the brand marks, and I will fill in most if not all of the screws.

original gun

That is the magazine well/grip after I dremeled out the dart holders.

Airsoft magazine that I modified by cutting off the bottom plate (cheapo spring mag btw)

airsoft mag epoxied into magnum base plate

gun disassembled. I couldn't figure out how to get the trigger working again after taking it apart, but thankfully I found pictures online. I learned a good thing: ALWAYS TAKE PICTURES WHEN YOU DISASSEMBLE SOMETHING SO YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER! It will save you headaches.

I also noticed that the front laser sight/dart holder could be filled in with putty and that would be neat, instead of having those stupid dart grooves. As for the magazine, I plan on placing strips of metal along the sides of the mag well and then attaching thin magnets to the sides of the magazine. Hopefully there will be enough room, it appears that there will be a bit of clearance in there. A release button would be cool, but that's too complicated for me.

I filled in the laser sight dart grooves with putty. I rolled up some tin foil and stuffed it in the grooves so I could save some putty. I also dremeled off the boomco and halo logos and the mattel branding. Then I need to sand, figure out the mag retention, reassemble, fill in screws, and start the painting process.

IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG IMG_2573.JPG

Projects been held up a bit. Lack of motivation and uncertainty about what kind of paint to use. I'm thinking of forgoing the removable mag, as I still need to find metal plates for it, and I would not expect it to work extremely well anyway. If I just epoxy it into place, I might add some weight in there and give it a nice heft.

Ok, so I super glued the magazine in place, and reassembled the gun. I gutted all of the internals, the only part that will be movable/working is the trigger. I superglued the slide as well. I have pretty much finished all of the sanding and preparation, so paint will be the next step, but not sure what I want to use yet.

I spray painted a base layer with gray primer. I think I'm going to brush-paint it using model enamels and then figure out what I'll do from there.
IMG_2745.JPG

Just got one and am having some disassembly problems with the metal pin on the slide. Does that just need to get hit really hard to pop out?
Also, Love the detachable mag idea and might come up with something for myself like that.

Just got one and am having some disassembly problems with the metal pin on the slide. Does that just need to get hit really hard to pop out?
Also, Love the detachable mag idea and might come up with something for myself like that.

Good question. I can't say I exactly remember. Are you talking about the one in the front of the slide? I had to cut the plastic holders for that one using a wire cutter. So I kind of "strong-armed" it out.

Nice! Has a good worn look to it. Is that rub n buff or just regular silver paint? I still need to finish mine. I want to paint the parts that are currently dark gray, a black or very dark grey, and I need to finish the rub n buff and polish it.

Nice! Has a good worn look to it. Is that rub n buff or just regular silver paint? I still need to finish mine. I want to paint the parts that are currently dark gray, a black or very dark grey, and I need to finish the rub n buff and polish it.

Rub and buff is always good. Use a face cloth or something. Its better to use for that weathered look

Hey there man great work, I did the same thing with putting a removable mag in. Came out perfect except I actually lost the whole trigger, lol

I left the guts though so I could still play with it out side of cons. And I did something a bit different here, I have a magnet inside the mag and a piece of metal in the grip to keep in there, then I put two magnets on the slide so that I can mount it on my thigh and on the seat of my armor

Attachments

• ABE234BF-C4BE-4F19-BF4E-4E17365E1838.jpeg
    ABE234BF-C4BE-4F19-BF4E-4E17365E1838.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 362
  • CCB692F2-0303-40EA-95AB-50E50BC9E93D.jpeg
    CCB692F2-0303-40EA-95AB-50E50BC9E93D.jpeg
    973.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 866FEF9C-A135-4663-BD4D-52D53209ABD5.jpeg
    866FEF9C-A135-4663-BD4D-52D53209ABD5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
  • 12767093-4542-4910-9AAC-279FDE684541.jpeg
    12767093-4542-4910-9AAC-279FDE684541.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 378
  • F462DAE3-5995-4CDA-8C15-443D066D1383.jpeg
    F462DAE3-5995-4CDA-8C15-443D066D1383.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 370
  • 69F743B0-73F0-4CE5-983F-690436B1BF49.jpeg
    69F743B0-73F0-4CE5-983F-690436B1BF49.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 300
Nice, I might do something with the spare one I have too. Maybe style it after the chiefs’ AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back