Boomco's Magnum M6H tactical light mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaween

While I was converting my sons' Boomco and still had the electrical mod needed for the CB88 AEG in the back of my head, it occured to me it would be cool to have a working tactical light instead of a painted one (in best case) and how the dart holder in handle might act as battery holder.

The Boomco more or less screams for this mod and it's very easy to do.

On the first picture the electrical part of the mod : a simple microswitch hotglued into position so the switch closes when the trigger is pressed. I've left the batteries to illustrate just how neat they fit : you don't need to modify anything in terms of size, 2 AAA batteries will simply slide into the grip of the gun once it's closed. I've simply bend 2 wires to make contact with the + side of the left battery and the - side with the right one.

The second picture shows the bottom view of the grip : I took away some material from one part of the shell. Reason is ..;

That combined with the mod I did on the bottom part of the gun seen in picture 3, you can simply twist the this part to open/close the repurposed ex-dart-holder, and easy battery replacement is possible.

To "close" the battery circuit and connect the + and - of the 2 batteries, I used a little piece of eva foam and stuck a piece of alu-tape on the topside of it. This foam also acts like the spring in a normal battery holder, pressing the batteries firmly seated in their new home.

So you simply put in the piece of eva foam with the alu tape facing the batteries, and you twist on the bottom of the grip by first hooking the "rear hook" in the gun's grip and then simply slide the bottom to the straight position. Ready, and it's a good fit without any further need of a retention mechansim.

I'm using a 3Watt Cree led in the front. Normally these things need a heatsink but I've tested this setup regarding overheating issues, and after 1 minute solid "on" the Cree led hadn't build up any noticable heat.
Also, as the LED will only work when the trigger is pressed, I made no extra safety measures as the typical "on" time won't exceed a couple of seconds at a time.

In terms of amount of light ... well the room lit up when I tested this. I don't advise looking directly in the led at close distance, as it's a lot more powerful than you'd expect.
A very powerful smartphone Flashlight would be a good comparisson, although I'm quite sure the 3Watt version far outperforms any smartphone flash by a substantial degree.

Attachments

• electrical mod.jpg
    electrical mod.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 294
  • modified bottom.jpg
    modified bottom.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 299
  • battery loading port.jpg
    battery loading port.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Led front view.jpg
    Led front view.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 271
It's only stealing if you don't try to improve on the original idea. :D

In the mean time, I'm looking into adding a plastic lens to make it more real. You can find tons of different flat LED lenses on Ali but it takes some time till they arrive.
Will see how that turns out when I receive and rework them as I ordered a couple of them for my "3" helmets' lights.

Borderline necroposting on my own topic, but couldn't do this on the European Regiment as I've not access there.

Played with the European Regiment logo today. Thoughts ?

View attachment 22590

Attachments

• logo inc.jpg
    logo inc.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 286
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back