BR85N WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarofAutumn

I've made some progress since last pic, but wanted to go ahead and put this up. Like my M20, this is puzzle mat and craft foam with fiberglass core. LED is from Microcenter.

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3979.JPG

It has always been amazing to me just how much a tiny bit of detail foam can turn something from that first picture to this last picture. It's absolutely astonishing, sometimes.

I like how this has turned out so far, that is looking really good. Looks like you might have a few seams to patch up, but that is a good-looking prop, sir.

It has always been amazing to me just how much a tiny bit of detail foam can turn something from that first picture to this last picture. It's absolutely astonishing, sometimes.

I like how this has turned out so far, that is looking really good. Looks like you might have a few seams to patch up, but that is a good-looking prop, sir.
Thanks! I do need to do some seam work (downside of using small pieces of craft foam for most of the detailing lol), which I'm hoping to get to after I finish contouring (by way of xacto knife); I did a lot of contouring last night, so maybe I can finish that tonight. I'll post a pic after work today to show where it stands right now

So am I! Pretty anxious about the sanding phase; I've never used a dremel before, so I don't know which head to use or what speed setting

So am I! Pretty anxious about the sanding phase; I've never used a dremel before, so I don't know which head to use or what speed setting

Dremels are your friends. Use a sanding head and use decent speed.

The biggest problem you'll probably have is the dremel "walking away" from you. The wheel is going to try to roll forward and cause some damage on parts you don't want to have save sanded. Positive control is important here, especially when you get close to the edges. You can also often times invert the dremel so the wheel spins the opposite direction, and that helps.

Be careful not to over heat the dremel; keep your hands off the vents.

Not enough is better than too much, so go in small chunks, then expand them. Don't try to get the whole thing in one go.

After you're done, a finer grit sandpaper to finish up, then heat seal, and you're good to go.

Dremels are a lot of fun, once you've got the hang of it.

EDIT: higher speed usually gets better results, busy be careful of it walking away. Practice on a few pieces first.

Dremels are your friends. Use a sanding head and use decent speed.

The biggest problem you'll probably have is the dremel "walking away" from you. The wheel is going to try to roll forward and cause some damage on parts you don't want to have save sanded. Positive control is important here, especially when you get close to the edges. You can also often times invert the dremel so the wheel spins the opposite direction, and that helps.

Be careful not to over heat the dremel; keep your hands off the vents.

Not enough is better than too much, so go in small chunks, then expand them. Don't try to get the whole thing in one go.

After you're done, a finer grit sandpaper to finish up, then heat seal, and you're good to go.

Dremels are a lot of fun, once you've got the hang of it.

EDIT: higher speed usually gets better results, busy be careful of it walking away. Practice on a few pieces first.
Thanks for all the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back