Brand new to Pepakura, need advice on a good first project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenocide

So pretty much just as the title says. I just recently started Pepakura and am trying to finish my first helmet which was WAY above my skill level ( RED HOOD helmet from Arkham Knight DLC).

Been looking around this site at the thread for a few days now and everyone seems incredibly helpful! I'm hoping this post is in the right place and will openly take any and all advice anyone is willing to give!

Thank you so much ahead of time and really stoked to be a part of this site and new hobby.

Best advice is just read and gather knowledge. There are many topics with advices for beginners and there is even a very nice Tutorial on Pepakura.

Pepakura isn't that hard, it's like puzzle - cut out, assemble and glue together at the right spots.
It's really not a rocket science.

Red Hood is rather an easy helmet, not big, not many details or different edges. Should be very OK for beginner.

- Palmer

Take your time, spending that little extra time with each piece and testing their fit before gluing does major differense.

I presume you're making it out of paper. Thing that helped me alot, which I learned from YouTube tutorial was to do small surfice cut to all of the folds. It allowed me to do clean folds and overall process was much easier/smoother.

My personal suggestion for if you need practice is to do a few of the items from Halo 2. They're good for practicing edge alignment on. Also, if you have it use PVA (white) glue. It dries quickly and allows some adjustment before you let the piece settle.

Wow that all helps so much already. Thanks for the advice, and I'm definitely going to continue scouring the beginner threads and tutorials. From what I read Commander Palmer, the helmet could have been easier but I used a Hi-Res version, if I'm getting that correct. The start Tritan made about the Halo 2 helmets will be my next step after I gather more of the supplies I'm currently missing. Taking my time with this stuff and it being like a puzzle is actually my favorite part so far!
Can not wait to work more, thanks again everyone.

I highly recommend you watch all the videos by Cereal Kill3r Studios on YouTube. It is the most comprehensive and informative video series I have found so far and has saved me a ton of headache by teaching me to avoid common mistakes as a beginner.

Watching that right now, and already it's made me realize a lot I've missed. Thanks a lot man I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back