Bugatti Chiron Pedal Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
FBI- YoU WoUlDn'T DoWnLoAd A CaR!?!?!?!
Me- .......uhhh, yeah. Yeah I totally would.
Someone sent me a video of a guy who built a Lamborghini out of cardboard and put it around a custom made pedal bike. So I figured I'd like to build that as well, but using foam instead of cardboard, and making it Bugatti Chiron which is currently the world's fastest production car. I'm working on the frame, wheels, and chain assembly right now while still unfolding the pepakura model and converting it to foam. The frame I got from one of my brother-in-law's old dune buggies he was never going to use again. Overall when finished it will measure 50 inches wide, 112 inches long, and 48 inches tall, which is about 3/4 scale from the real life version. I'm going to try and keep a price tab on everything to see how cheap I can build this 3 Million Dollar super car lol.

Bugatti Chiron Green.jpg
Bugatti pepakura.jpg
69891347_1639510939518579_3557058980737974272_n.jpg
69928549_1639510989518574_735598864102326272_n.jpg

FBI- YoU WoUlDn'T DoWnLoAd A CaR!?!?!?!
Me- .......uhhh, yeah. Yeah I totally would.
Someone sent me a video of a guy who built a Lamborghini out of cardboard and put it around a custom made pedal bike. So I figured I'd like to build that as well, but using foam instead of cardboard, and making it Bugatti Chiron which is currently the world's fastest production car. I'm working on the frame, wheels, and chain assembly right now while still unfolding the pepakura model and converting it to foam. The frame I got from one of my brother-in-law's old dune buggies he was never going to use again. Overall when finished it will measure 50 inches wide, 112 inches long, and 48 inches tall, which is about 3/4 scale from the real life version. I'm going to try and keep a price tab on everything to see how cheap I can build this 3 Million Dollar super car lol.

View attachment 277703View attachment 277704View attachment 277706View attachment 277705
This is going to be amazing, especially knowing your past work, but I am very sorry for your hands and back. I thought the amount of paper and foam cutting on the ghost was bad, but now I know for sure you are insane!

This is going to be amazing, especially knowing your past work, but I am very sorry for your hands and back. I thought the amount of paper and foam cutting on the ghost was bad, but now I know for sure you are insane!

So.....what's your guess on how much foam this is going to take? I'm guessing 40-60 sheets if I'm lucky. I also think my bank account will like that number as well lol. My hands already know they're in for pain so they don't get a vote.

I look forward to this project.

I know foam is cool and all, but wouldn't it be cheaper to do the ol' cardstock/fiberglass method?

I look forward to this project.

I know foam is cool and all, but wouldn't it be cheaper to do the ol' cardstock/fiberglass method?
Yeah the fiberglass would be too heavy. Plus the amount of resin it would take to cover all of it would get expensive fast. Foam is cheaper, lighter, and can withstand the elements better. The frame alone right now is 50 or 60lbs so I'm trying to shave all the weight I can. Just picked up some boat seats at an auction last night that are super lightweight which is nice.

Yeah the fiberglass would be too heavy. Plus the amount of resin it would take to cover all of it would get expensive fast. Foam is cheaper, lighter, and can withstand the elements better. The frame alone right now is 50 or 60lbs so I'm trying to shave all the weight I can. Just picked up some boat seats at an auction last night that are super lightweight which is nice.

Oh well if it's a pedal car... I saw the engine and got a little excited.

Yeah, gotta keep it sidewalk and con legal by making it either pedal power or electric motor, no gasoline allowed. Main reason why the Ghost has an electric motor.
Anyways, here's a pic of the basic layout I did today. Seats need to go back a bit more. Plus the front end sticks out another 27" from the front tire, and 9 more inches from the back tire, as well as 11 inches on each side.. Also measured my truck bed length, and it looks like it'll only stick off the bed by 8 inches, so that's good. Can't wait to see what that's going to look like going down the road lol.
69795723_3511795665500905_4986506521564151808_o.jpg

UPDATE!!
Massacred a few bikes to gather parts, and started welding things together. Unfortunately, I thought I had spaced the pedals from the front wheels far enough, but it turns out I didn't. So I'll need to go back and grind those off and re-position them correctly. I opted to add a 5th wheel as well as the solo main drive wheel. This makes it easier to route power from both sets of pedals, and makes the back two wheels not have to be tied together on the drive gears. It's a learning experience for sure.
I also finally finished unfolding the Pepakura file for the Chiron. 145 pages for half the car, and I'm afraid of what that's going to translate into foam pieces lol.
71483070_3578071058873365_1891899855136096256_o.jpg
Bugatti unfold.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back