Building Block Of Life Found On Comet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reclaimer-Master Chief

Forerunner-Guilty Spark

You see the differance? One is dead, the other isn't. Infact, the other is heading for a unknown planet right now in half of a ship.

----------------------------------------------

Now just wait a bloody mintue.

Let me get this straight.

-----------------------------------------------

Reclaimer-Pony

Forerunner-Easy Bake Oven

OMG we has to go save him!! The Chief took my sexy talking toaster!! I know where that planet is! Its right by a Best Buy and an all you can eat chinese buffet!!

LMAO I just just imagine George W. Bush saying that!! It's funny as hell lol XD!!

-Pony

@Extreme Agreed ;) Conversation dropped.

Ok, so I think now I've actually got a valid question here. If we've found this amino acid on meteorites in the past, why does this discovery on comets make a difference? Is it that comets are from other parts of the solar system and galaxy, and therefore could have brought the amino acids from somewhere else? Because by my memory, I recall hearing that metoerites are capable of coming from far off in space as well. Can anyone clarify?

OMG we has to go save him!! The Chief took my sexy talking toaster!! I know where that planet is! Its right by a Best Buy and an all you can eat chinese buffet!!

LMAO I just just imagine George W. Bush saying that!! It's funny as hell lol XD!!

:lol Was that just off the top of your head?

Was that just off the top of your head?

Heck yea it was! That was one of the rare "good" brain farts, lol!

It gives me an Idea thats just crazy enough to work.*runs to garage* *trips on a hose!!*

-Pony

Pssh, I found one of those in my yard. That's no big deal.

I know how you feel bro. I always find those on my lawn :(

=================================================

Ok, seriously what else did they find out about that rock besides having some amino acid(s)?

-Pony

It makes sense though if the material is from the birth of the solar system. Just think back to the old lightning and primitive atmosphere experiments that generated amino acids.

Plasma + Methane + Water = Glycine given the right conditions. Only this time the source of plasma and everything else isn't a lighning bolt and a primitive planet's atmosphere but a supernova.

So it indicates a few things.

1. Since this is a solar process and not a planetary process then life could be much more common in the universe than previously thought, especially within our own solar system.

2. Amino acids could be even older than our planet.

3. Go back far enough and we are natives of Sol itself.

HeavyGunner said:
Ok, so I think now I've actually got a valid question here. If we've found this amino acid on meteorites in the past, why does this discovery on comets make a difference? Is it that comets are from other parts of the solar system and galaxy, and therefore could have brought the amino acids from somewhere else? Because by my memory, I recall hearing that metoerites are capable of coming from far off in space as well. Can anyone clarify?

Comets have a larger mass and velocity and are less likely to be to be crash into planets while meteors.... well we get them entering out atmosphere every day, and the majority burn up before we learn anything cool about them

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't any of you heard of Planet X or the Annunaki?

Planet X is a "Planet" that is said to have come near Earth and "Visited" the Mayans.The Annunaki were the Mayans "Gods" and they helped them build their civilization.

Planet X is supposed to visit Earth again and this might be what the Mayan Calender is talking about *2012*.

I am not sure if this is what is going to happen on December 21, 2012, but I do think life might be supported on another planet other than Earth.

Sigma is right, and for those of you that don't remember, he's talking about the famous Miller-Urey Experiment:

The Miller-Urey experiment was an experiment that simulated hypothetical conditions present on the early Earth in order to test what kind of environment would be needed to allow life to begin. The experiment is considered to be the classic experiment on the origin of life. It was conducted in 1953 by Stanley L. Miller and Harold C. Urey at the University of Chicago.

The experiment used water (H2O), methane (CH4), ammonia (NH3) and hydrogen (H2) - materials which were believed to represent the major components of the early Earth's atmosphere. The chemicals were all sealed inside a sterile array of glass tubes and flasks connected together in a loop, with one flask half-full of liquid water and another flask containing a pair of electrodes. The liquid water was heated to induce evaporation. Sparks were fired between the electrodes to simulate lightning storms (believed to be common on the early earth) through the water vapors, and then the vapors were cooled again so that the water could condense and trickle back into the first flask in a continuous cycle.

At the end of one week of continuous operation, Miller and Urey observed that as much as 10-15% of the carbon within the system was now in the form of organic compounds. Two percent of the carbon had formed amino acids, including 13 of the 22 that are used to make proteins in living cells, with glycine as the most abundant.

The molecules produced were simple organic molecules, far from a complete living biochemical system, but the experiment established that the hypothetical processes could produce some building blocks of life without requiring life to synthesize them first.

The energy from a supernova could well have been a subsitute for lightning, and these compounds (I'm sure) have been proven to exist somewhere in the Universe other than Earth. Earth might not have been the first place where this same process occured, especially considering the tiny, tiny age of Earth compared to the age of the Universe. The chances that Earth was the only place where this process occured makes the probably that extraterrestrial life exists somewhere else in the Universe surprisingly high.

As for "Planet X", I'm pretty sure that that's pretty far down on the probability level. I think somebody's been watching too much Indiana Jones, and I mean the crappy Indiana Jones (aka - Crystal Skull).

I'm not sure in what way this scientific finding would affect one's religious beliefs, but I guess I shouldn't really go there. (Personally, I'm all for religious discussions. Religion plays a huge part in who we are, and it's something from which we all can learn a lot. As for politics, (*shudder*), let's just leave that alone ...)

life had to have come from somewhere in space, I think, because it just sounds kind of unlikely that it started right on earth. but somehow it got to earth. maybe on something like in the article. idk. this is going to make me start thinking about the big bang again and I will severely injure myself trying to imagine what it was like during and before it...lol. very cool article though.

Does anyone ever wonder about what the next stage of evolution for us is?

I always wonder wether people will grow more digits or get better eyes to adjust to typing and looking at computer screens.

And I know I'm not meant to say this, but I'm not religious in any way!

But just because I dont believe in it, doesnt mean I dont think its a good thing.

MOST religions bring out the best in people. People live honest lives and abide by rules set out by their religion.

When it becomes a problem is when extremists come about who cant stand the idea of more than one god.

ie. The Crusades - loads of innocent people died for nothing. What a waste.

I just can never take all the rituals seriously. I've never seen anything like a miracle happen, or heard of it. And I hate going to church.

If a god was really out there, why doesnt he do anything? And why doesnt he wipe us out for destroying his planet?

I can only talk about Christianity because its the only one I know about =D

Again, this is just my view - dont take it too seriously if you're strongly religious.

Chazodude said:

I always wonder wether people will grow more digits or get better eyes to adjust to typing and looking at computer screens.

And I know I'm not meant to say this, but I'm not religious in any way!

But just because I dont believe in it, doesnt mean I dont think its a good thing.

MOST religions bring out the best in people. People live honest lives and abide by rules set out by their religion.

When it becomes a problem is when extremists come about who cant stand the idea of more than one god.

ie. The Crusades - loads of innocent people died for nothing. What a waste.

I just can never take all the rituals seriously. I've never seen anything like a miracle happen, or heard of it. And I hate going to church.

If a god was really out there, why doesnt he do anything? And why doesnt he wipe us out for destroying his planet?

I can only talk about Christianity because its the only one I know about =D

Again, this is just my view - dont take it too seriously if you're strongly religious.

I agree, I'm not any way religious, and the reasoning of my "imaginary friend told me to kill him"(god) is amazingly idiotic there are people who are put in mental asylums because of that. lol But we haven't proven god doesn't exist just that the people who translated the bible, also rewrote the thing, just look at genesis 1 and 2 they contradict each other, or the stoning of non-believers when he(god it probably has no gender though) gave us free will? lol

but back to your reply, he probably doesn't do anything because he is an all powerful being, and probably doesn't care about you winning the loto. lol And don't get offended by this if you do; state your opinion, just don't bash us cause you dis agree.

props for only talking about what you know about by the way chazodude.

Chazodude said:

Technically, we are evolving right now. Evolution is a change over time to better suit your environment, humans have been steadily evolving to their environments as long as we know. This is evident when you look at how much taller people are becoming, the average height in my graduating class was around 6 foot, the class after us was 6' 2", not a major change, but a change. I personally don't think that there will naturally be a major jump in the evolutionary chain, something like mutants or or more fingers, without some kind of catalyst (probably nuclear). the time when evolution is most apparent in my experience is when we look at how our ancestors lived, thought, and what kind of body structure/height they had.

just my 2 cents

Ok, could we please drop the religion talk. Its not that its going in a bad direction, its just I don't wan't anybody to be offended. I know that there are some people that take it badly when somebody says they don't believe in the God of their religion.

Just drop the whole religion talk altogeather please. I can sence this is going to be locked if we don't move away from that specific topic.

Thanks.

Tango 89er said:
The Bible has no place here. It is my understanding that on most forums (I'm not sure if this is the case here, I'd have to check) religion and politics are topics that are not to be discussed because they cause too many arguments.

Anyway back on topic

I think this discovery is pretty cool. I've always believed that there is life out there somewhere. After who knows how old the universe is? It is entirely possible and quite likely that life has evolved on other planets, probably long before there was life on Earth. The problem I have is that scientist base the perfect model of a life bearing planet on Earth. One thing evolution has shown us is that life can adapt to the harshest conditions. Therefore we should be searching as many planets as possible for life, not just those most like Earth

That comment (the first part of your reply) is completely one-sided. What about the other side? It's not just religion and politics that have the ability to start arguments, sciecne can as well. If a topic is started with a religious tone to it and an argument ensued then science started the argument, if politics was the OP (original post) then it was politics, therefore if science was the OP and a heated discussion ensued then it would be the fault of religion. If you dont follow the logic of that then I will explain it; Arguments start when there are 2 (or more) opposing sides, the first one that has an opposing statement to the original thought would be the one at fault for starting something (specifically if it was rude, crass, derogatory, sarcastic or mean). I believe that if religion is to not be discussed on forums (because of arguments or that it's just a "theory") then science, particularly the origin of the universe/life, should not be discussed or started as well. After all if you think about it science has jsut as much proof of their theory of life/universe origin as religion. As well if the ones who believe in a religion are to stifle their comments, then any non-believer should as well especially if there is a discreet derogatory biting comment (such as crazy-awesome with the "imaginary friend" remark....and crazy-awesome i'm not picking on you, there are plenty of people who say things, you just happened to be one in THIS thread for easy reference, so hopefully no hard feelings). As for anyone who has questions or even comments about religion (particularly christianity) feel free to message me about them. I dont have all the answers and I wont even pretend to, but I can maybe at least give different ideas/perspectives. I always do my best to be respectful to what anyone has to say that ask me questions.

As far as the article goes, I believe this neither proves or disprove sciences theory of the universe/life nor does it disprove religion/God. Firstly a comet is a big dirty ice-ball. Ice is made of water (we all know this, i'm not trying to be condescending). Someoen in this thread posted about the miller-urey experiment. An experiment which apparently involves 4 basic compounds which can make up a protein. Through the comet's travels through space what makes it "impossible" or special for the compounds that were native on the comet (water) to form a protein, or even pick up some of the other compounds from space? Personally I believe this article proves nothing of the origins of the universe or life, just that there was big dirty space iceball with protein on it. Thats just my opinio (hey, the OP asked for thoughts :) )

The fault of arguments is always to those who don't respect the other side and to those who never say "why".

Also, a poorly-informed opinion is a worthless opinion. Don't be a zealot of any persuasion folks.Whatever you believe in life, THINK for God's sake. Don't be a parrot of the podium or the pulpit. Do some legwork and research of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back