Building Materials Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max127

Has anyone has luck using sintra to build armor? I have a Mando Merc that I have been working on and find sintra pretty easy to work with. Is the a possibility that I can translate is to making a Spartan, most likely a H3 or H4 Mjolnir Mk. VI. I am thinking on doing Agent York from RvB.

It's only been a few days man, people have lives! Haha.

I haven't seen sintra used much in the halo community. Sometimes you have to experiment with new materials and find out for yourself if they work.

Personally I always try out new or different adhesives with a variety of materials to see how well they work. Same goes for paint. It's not uncommon for me to spend a couple hours trying out different paints on different materials to see how well they work.

As awesome as the Internet is, unfortunately it doesn't have the answers to everything. Sometimes you have to try things out yourself to see if they work!

It's only been a few days man, people have lives! Haha.

I haven't seen sintra used much in the halo community. Sometimes you have to experiment with new materials and find out for yourself if they work.

Personally I always try out new or different adhesives with a variety of materials to see how well they work. Same goes for paint. It's not uncommon for me to spend a couple hours trying out different paints on different materials to see how well they work.

As awesome as the Internet is, unfortunately it doesn't have the answers to everything. Sometimes you have to try things out yourself to see if they work!

Lol Thanks

My armor is Styrene and ABS, and is one of the very few I know of. That is because, as I man sure you are aware from you experience with the MMCC, styrene and other plastics work best with flat plates, like a Mando, or used with Vacuum forming. The vast majority of Halo's armor, due to its complexity, is not conduciv around 2007e to vac forming.

My armor is classic Halo: Combat Evolved, which is very simple, and took to vac forming okay. Outside of me, I have only seen one group do vac formed plastic armor, for the Halo 2 Mark VI, but that was years ago, like around 2007. I have never seen someone attempt to do a modifed version of pep directly to plastic.

Short answer, you can use sintra or styrene or any other plastic, but you will not be able to use the traditional pep methods straight onto the plastic. At least not easily. But I would not discourage you from giving it a shot with something simpler armorwise, like a Marine, to try it out.

Be very careful with SIntra. It gives off a gas when heated that is toxic. As well, it's very easy to overheat Sintra. The surface texture changes when you do. It was the first plastic I worked with about 15 years ago but I don't think I'd use it again, although it does have it's place. Sintra is also a little more tricky to work with in that it doesn't love complex curves (bending in more than one direction at a time). As Cadet has mentioned, Sintra and plastics like it work best with flat plates. I can see using something like that as a base but not so much for the rest of Halo armor. That's just my experience though.

I have a set of mando brigade armour and this was made from sintra. To get the armor curves of say h4 mkvi armour it would be really difficult to achieve as the corner cuts and trench cuts needed would be challenging indeed. That said I'd love to see a kit made from this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back