Building Mk VI Armor for my 9 year old!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred617

I started to pep the helmet for my sons armor yesterday. This is my very first attempt at pepping anything. Let me know what you think.

Let's see if I can get these pictures posted.

th_104_0004.jpg

I am using Flying Squirrels HD Helmet Pepakura File. Really awesome model if you have a lot of patience.

th_104_0008.jpg

I started with the bottom of the visor and worked up. I think I will start at the very top next time and work down.

th_104_0018.jpg

That's looking sick, Fred. Keep it up, and remember to be PATIENT! because otherwise you get warpage. ... :( Anyway, keep us posted!

Looks nice and clean. Is this your first pep attempt? It dosen't look like it, you're doing great.

I also worked from the visor up, and then down. What a hassle that was! Maybe next time, I'll work it fromthe back to the front.

Anyways, you're very brave making a HD helmet as your first pep piece, and it's coming out looking amazing. Keep it up!

LOL.. your on the right track.

I did that exact pep file as my 1st build. Except I started at the back then down and to the front. Did the top last... Big mistake. Yes I have warping... but its nothing that bondo cant hide or fix.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks guys. This is my first pep attempt. Also, this is a smaller scale - reduced by 10% - because it is for my son. Not using edge ID's either. Nothing like stacking the deck against yourself on the very first build..lol.

looking good thus far, My 8 year old wants me to make him a set, and I really want to, but in the time it takes to complete, if he has a growth spurt he and I will both be bumming.

Man, that is some smooth pepping! Which file is that? Hardly looks like you're gonna need any bondo at all.
Your boy is one lucky little dude. lots of kids have Xbox's. some kids have a flat screen tv, a few kids have 4 wheelers......But theres not that many 9 year olds with a rockin set of Mjolnir armor.

Man, that is some smooth pepping! Which file is that? Hardly looks like you're gonna need any bondo at all.
Your boy is one lucky little dude. lots of kids have Xbox's. some kids have a flat screen tv, a few kids have 4 wheelers......But theres not that many 9 year olds with a rockin set of Mjolnir armor.

LOL

That made my day xD

I finally have a second to post some progress info. I pepped the top back this morning. I find it easier to put the more difficult pieces together first, then glue them together and finally attach everything to the main piece, which I will be doing shortly.

Here are some pics.

th_2010_09_02003.jpg

th_2010_09_02001.jpg

th_2010_09_02005.jpg

th_2010_09_02004.jpg

th_2010_09_02002.jpg

I just started to use a blade to score my fold lines. It seems to take less effort. I did find that scoring the valley folds on the back side makes the folding easier as well.

Everyone, thanks for the copmliments. This thread has motivated me to continue simply because I don't want to dissappoint the readers, so please keep commenting, the good, the bad and the ugly, so I know someone is still enjoying my efforts. Thanks again.

I'm building a set for my 8 year old daughter right now. I have a couple leg pieces left, and I'll be finished. If you think scaling, and building pep for an average sized adult is rough try doing it for a petite 8 year old female, lord. Good luck, and I'm sure he'll love it.

Here are some more progress pics.

2010_09_02007.jpg

2010_09_02008.jpg

Everything went pretty smooth up to this point. The next step gave me some trouble, along with the first noticeable warpage. I'm pretty sure the warpage will work itself out as I progress.

2010_09_02009.jpg

2010_09_02010.jpg

2010_09_02011.jpg

I cut a little too deep when I made my score marks. I read somewhere that electrical tape stands up well to the hardening process so I used the black tape to try and fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2010_09_02006.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback.

I have not tried electrical tape. However, If you can... Try to put the black tape on the inside of the helm. You will want the outside to be as free as possible for the 1st layer of resin and to preserve your outside details.

I'm curious to see how this turns out. Good luck!

Cheers!

I added the thick piece behind the head and the back of the neck "Collar" piece. I was right, adding these pieces has straightened out most of the warping.
2010_09_03001.jpg

2010_09_03002.jpg

2010_09_03003.jpg

I'm going to add the proxy-visor next and the long support strut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back