Bungie No More

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenStreeper

Just in case you guys have missed whats going on. Bungie has signed over Halo to Microsoft after the Contracted release of its final Bungie instalment Halo Reach. This may not mean the end of Halo, but it does mean the beginning of a new I.P. for Bungie. They are in the works to find a new publisher for the new I.P. Promissing hopes point to Bethesda (Elder Scrolls) who recently pointed out: Hey we have the money.

Actual Story (part 1):

Bethesda Softworks’ Ashley Cheng has said on his blog that only a few current publishers, including Bethesda themselves, could release Bungie’s new game.

“You can count on one hand the number of publisher’s around who can afford to publish Bungie’s next game: EA (via EA Partners), Activision, Ubisoft, Microsoft, and of course, Bethesda. I can only imagine how much it will cost to snag their next title,” said Cheng.

He then went on further to state that Sony could easily publish it as well, but thought it was “unlikely”.

“There is one more publisher who could get into the game: Sony. That would be interesting. Unlikely.”

Bungie said a deal was close on a publishing deal for the game on Friday. Development was confirmed at TGS last October

Actual Story (part 2):

Halo may yet live on beyond 2010, but it won't be under Bungie. Speaking with Computer and Video Games, senior designer Lars Bakken said that the developer would most likely be finished with the franchise following Halo Reach.

Asked whether or not Reach would be Bungie's last game in the franchise, he said, "In terms of a platform for Halo games made by Bungie, yes. I can't answer that question for Microsoft though."

"Whether they have something in the works or not, I don't know if they're actually ready to talk about it yet, but in terms of Bungie-produced Halo games, Halo ODST and then Reach is probably all you're going to get."

Reach was officially unveiled at E3 2009. With Halo ODST finished, Brakken said that the team is now hard at work on the new project.

Details remain sparse for the moment, but Bungie has hinted that it may be Natal-enabled. Multiplayer invites will also be included with Halo ODST.

After that, Bungie will be moving on to greener pastures. But as Brakken said, that doesn't mean Halo isn't finished. After all, with the Peter Jackson-helmed Halo project now dead in the water, Ryan Payton and 343 Industries now have a lot of extra time on their hands. One way or another, Microsoft will probably keep them busy with Halo-related content over the next few years.

booooo

In my opinion if Bungie isnt going to make another halo game after Reach then no one should... Im still skeptical about the Halo Legends (anime thingy) because i got a feeling it is going to poop on the Halo Lore that we have now, and just try and make up their own story... How big of a role is bungie even goign to play in the 7 shorts? are they going to have final say, or does microsoft?

I thinks its great that bungie is going to move on, but dont let someone else take your beautiful child and turn it into a cheap whore...

Plus we still got what 3 more books to look forward too, based around the forerunner? when its all said and done Halo will of ran its course, and we will still have the original games and books. We dont need crappy halo games being put out by microsoft just so they can make money.

Halo=Bungie and Bungie=win

343 Industries (a microsoft studio) will probably produce all the new Halo related materials. As they apparently have gained the rights.

Article:

Forget suggesting that "343 Industries" was the name of some Halo-related studio at Microsoft. It's a fact, with the group officially revealing themselves as part of the Halo anime announcement.

Interestingly, 343 are described as a "division" of Microsoft, not a development studio. Which makes sense, since having spoken with 343's creative director, former Bungie man Frankie O'Connor, this LA Times piece says the division "oversees all Halo products". Not just games. Everything. Games, comics, toys, cartoons, the works.

That's unique for Microsoft, as it makes 343 an entertainment division. Not hardware, not software, just entertainment. Wonder what that means for the long-delayed Halo movie project?

Obviously, since this information was part of an LA Times article and not an official announcement, we're sure there's more details to come about this new group in the days to come. We'll update you when we hear more.

UPDATE - Here's Microsoft's official "bio" for 343:

343 Industries is the publisher of the blockbuster "Halo" series of videogames and, as part of Microsoft Game Studios, oversees the "Halo" franchise, including novels, comics, licensed collectibles, apparel and more. 343 Industries is home to world-class developers working on future "Halo" projects, including "Halo Legends" and Halo Waypoint, as well as partnering with renowned developers such as Bungie LLC and Robot Entertainment to produce "Halo" games for Xbox 360 and Xbox LIVE.

ok.. so there's a microsoft divisions guy that USED to work for bungie on the project? that would make me feel a hell of alot more comfortable XD

an yes i agree,

bungie = win

microsoft = surprise buttsmex

Let the Halo Milking/Raping begin.

Excuse me for a sec, I just need to cry. Like really, cry. I can't even to begin to tell you how upset I am. I can't seem to find the crying face icon, but if I could, you can bet there'd be a few of them on here.

Bungie I thought you were better than this! Halo isn't just some game whose rights are to be bought and sold! Halo is a legacy! It's just not right in anyone else's hands. You did things well for far too long to just sell it off now. I know it's already said and done, but it's not gonna be the same. I sure hope the 405th outlasts all of this nonsense going on right now. :(

HeavyGunner said:
Bungie I thought you were better than this! Halo isn't just some game whose rights are to be bought and sold! Halo is a legacy! It's just not right in anyone else's hands. You did things well for far too long to just sell it off now. I know it's already said and done, but it's not gonna be the same.

*salute* That sir, is damn patriotic.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way that Microsoft would have let Bungie keep Halo when they left, we have to accept that. (Even if we don't like it :angry ) I hope that MS realizes that treating the franchise well will keep people interested in it (read: giving them money for Halo stuff) for a lot longer than if they start making crap like Halo:Toilet Paper.

Anyone know if Frankie or any other former Bungie folks are involved in 343? That's probably our best hope for Halo not being ground into the dirt.

As for the 405th, the Firefly fans have survived Fox outright killing the IP, I think we can soldier on.

why ? :angry i have a feeling they are milking this thing as adam said but really bungie needs to op on the ball not unless they are planning something big.

One upside I can see to this is that Microsoft has way more money than Bungie. That gives some hope to the Halo movie, but I don't know about much else.... They're going to kill the game we love....

Adam said:
Let the Halo Milking/Raping begin.

This was going to happen with or without Bungie. There are only so many titles that can offer new and innovative ideas while still holding to the original concept. When they start to cover prequels is where "suck" starts to take hold. Look at how gameplay has evolved from Halo CE to Halo 3. Now, with Halo: Reach we're going back to before Halo CE. Does that mean the reintroducing of: Fewer grenades, single wielding, health bar, etc? We all know the answer to that question; No. Thus, its ruined.

While its just my opinion, Halo should have stopped at the end of the trilogy...and maybe a movie.

Loess said:
As for the 405th, the Firefly fans have survived Fox outright killing the IP, I think we can soldier on.

I'm actually watching Firefly right now... :D

Topic on hand:

Welcome to the way business is done - at the end of the day Halo = Money (for someone). Bungie was never going to walk away with the rights. The real question is will Bungie make "Reach" a fantastic game to go out on a high note or will they muddle through just to get it done, get M$ off their back, and get out?

Im kinda worried bungie is just gonna do a mediocre job on Reach now. Its sad news, but ah well, they will leave behind the best story ever :D.

Hopefully Bungie will go all out on Halo Reach, that way they go out with a bang. :pIt's somewhat reassuring, however, that Frankie is in MS 343 Industries. Maybe it work's get completely whored out.

Maybe if 343's made up of a bunch of ex bungie employees we can calm down. Who knows?

But I'm REALLY skepticle now. I mean, Insomniac sold off Spyro the Dragon, and look what happened to that. But then again, they went off to do Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance...

You know what? Bungie's days may be looking up!

If Halo: Reach is going to be Bungie's last game, We should honor them by picking the game up in armor and send them the pics with us in armor and the game in hand. As johnson said, "Send me out with a bang".

That way they will know that Bungie will be missed for making one of the best games out there.

-Pony

"Send me out with a bang".

Ohhh... I have no doubts there will be a Catastrophic Explosion in Bungie's honor. I don't know what it will be, but I can assure you, the 405th will have something huge planned. We've just got to. I'm thinking we should get Lee to make us seven functional battle rifles, and outside of bungie studios, perform a seven gun salute. That would be nice. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back