Buying a new video camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

papamurf812

Alright, for my birthday, I got a little over a grand. I need to buy a new video camera and I was wondering what you guys would suggest for the best quality for my buck.

I was thinking about getting a Canon GL1 or hopefully a GL2 but they're about 1,700. Should I keep saving or do you guys have other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

What do you plan on using the camera for... not generally but specifically... this applies to what you would need...

Movies, so I would like one that's firewire compatible. I want a mini dv camera, unless there's another format that will give me high quality and be easily editable on adobe premiere.

Mini DVs will get you on your way for movie making. I have one ( I dont remember model ) and it has an amazing quality. However I would suggest a Sony HDR. Everyone says Canons are way better but I prefer sony.

All depends on what quality you want!

If you want low pixel resolution, there are some around 200 to 500 bucks. If you want a camera professional like, it's around 5 000 to 10 000 bucks. Go to BestBuy or a electronic shop, it's the best way, ask a personal and He will recommand you for what setting do you want

Beremus said:
All depends on what quality you want!

If you want low pixel resolution, there are some around 200 to 500 bucks. If you want a camera professional like, it's around 5 000 to 10 000 bucks. Go to BestBuy or a electronic shop, it's the best way, ask a personal and He will recommand you for what setting do you want

He will reccomend the most expensive and usless one because he likes his paychecks.

If you want to dude you can buy 2 $500 cameras and send me one for christmas :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Search Sony's website you cant go wrong with Sony. They have a few that recored directly to DVD-r which makes for VERY high quality

sony is garbage, I do videographer work and I can tell you sony hates you and wants you to suffer.

Canon of Panasonic are your real choices.

edit: serves me to not read the thread.

Go with the GL2, I have a GL1 personally, but I have worked with the GL2 and it is a great little camera. It's wonderful if you are on a shoot with an XL1s/XL2 as the footage looks very similar. Gl1 is a good camera but it is also over a decade old technology, and it shows its age.

Even though Sony has some good cameras, they have tendancy to stop making servicing them after a short time. Plus, Sony doesn't use standard parts, i.e. batteries and other accessories. I'd stick with your first instinct and go with Canon, but Panasonic has some decently comparable camera's to Sony.

It all depends on what size and quality you're really looking for, but Moz here seems to have even more personal experience with Canon than I do.

I have a little Panasonic one chip, it's a couple years old and it's hand size, but my buddy who works with another 3 chip Panasonic says when he uses my camera, for some stationary shots and extra angles, the quality is very good.

I'd have to agree with Moz and say get the Canon GL2 or similar Panasonic model. One more thing if you can, I'd find a camera that records to a hard drive and not tape, but if not go with MiniDV. It's just a convience thing when you actually go to capture and edit as MiniDV capture is real time.

Well good luck finding a good camera, I wish I had a grand to spend on electronics. :cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back