CAD software question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loves hina

Jr Member
About a year ago, i was in a AutoCAD class at my school, and i fell in love. I have a few designs that i would very much like to model in the program, but i dont have $4000 to lay out on AutoCAD itself. Ive searched and there seems to be a plethora of programs that claim to be the same, but i was wondering if there are any CAD users who know of a cheaper/free alternative that has the best learning curve from autoCAD itself.

There's a program called Pro Desktop. I think you might be able to bug a teacher for a copy, or try and find a download online.

i managed to find a good version of GstarCAD, after alot of searching and a few downloads. and its strikingly familiar to autoCAD. Im liking it, but few things are confusing, and im not sure, since its not a liscened version, if i could, say, make a cnc copy of what im working on, and if i like it, mold and sell casts of it. I think it would be fine, considering im not a large company or anything.
If i need to, i might be able to get a student version of AutoCAD through my college, but that still wouldnt solve the liscence issue, if there even is one. Thoughts?
and sorry for the quick reply.

I am going for CNC presently and will ask around. However if you are "attending" can't you get a discount as a student...or perhaps use financial aid to purchase it as a reguired tool for the class???? But yeah, the first guy to CNC a full titanium Mark VI armor is GOD.

You don't need AutoCad (or even the Civil 3D pack) to generate files to be made on CNC. It's just another set of tools that let you make a 3D object. AutoCad is designed as an accurate tool to create/simulate models and drawings for real world applications. But creating a .stl file can be done in a lot of ways. And you only need a clean/closed mesh with the appropriate scale, both of which can be done in just about any 3D program.

And no, you can't get in trouble for generating a 3D model on a student edition of a program and bringing it to another program/or machine.

The only time I've heard of anyone getting in trouble for making profit is by selling the model/scene file without owning a software license (turbosquid). But making a model and having it built on a machine which you cast and sell shouldn't get you in trouble with the software company. Well, as long as you don't go bragging about it. :p Now getting in trouble for mass producing and selling copy-written work is another story.

People take work from the 3D artists on here and if they don't run them straight through a CNC they tweak them and make "runs" of items. Ultimately making profit. So if those people aren't getting called out I don't think you should.

Now, I'm not advocating using "pirated" software. But if you're a student and you aren't 100% sure that you're ready to invest then I don't see why people shouldn't have access to become proficient in the industry. Autodesk and other companies are trying to make their software more available to younger student's but if you ask me the price tag is a bit too high.

thats for the info, the only reason i wanted a cad related program was because i had prior exp with it, and really liked it. But mostly id be looking at making a few casts of the final prodcut for a few freinds, and maybe sell some on here. I didnt think you would get in trouble as long as you didnt mass produce.
And for anyone elses future reference, i found GstarCAD, you can get the standard edition free, but businesses have to pay for a liscence. (but for a single comp liscence its still only 400) which isnt nearly as much as Autodesks pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back