Calgary Expo - April 23 - 26, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
Good morning all!

As some of you know, we have been approved for a booth at CCEE. We have a 10 x 20 space in the fan tables area.

It has been announced that Steve Downs is a voice actor guest at the show! As well, our very own Jonathan Groves aka World's Tallest Spartan will be a guest! So, we've got to work hard to make our space really great for a big year for Halo at this con!

A few of us have discussed this already and tossed around some ideas but I'd like us to start firming details up.

First up, who's going to be there? I'm working on the pass situation. I still have no idea how that is going to work but I am trying to get that information for us and will let you know asap.

Secondly, we need all hands on deck to man the booth at all times. I'll get a schedule up for shifts as soon as we figure out the layout and know what we'll need in terms of staffing.

Third, I need someone to take on the planning of a dinner. Any volunteers?

Fourth, there is a parade and from what I can see, they haven't started sign ups for it yet. They also, unfortunately, don't have a date for when that will be so if we are interested in participating in the parade, I need someone to volunteer to stay on top of when we need to register. I believe it fills up rather quickly.

ATTENDING:
FANGS
TurboCharizard
CplYapFlip
Viper 466
FlyinPhil
iac300
BlazedStarbon
James
Jedi Ranger
Spartan Props
xbrav
SpecialK
Schankerz
Moonlight
Rinzlerr
WiskTangFoxt

EDIT ADDED MARCH 10, 2020

Some of you knows this but a couple of things have happened. First, we are being allocated 20 FREE passes. Our list is currently at 16. Please make sure that your name is on this list.

Secondly, they have asked us to take on a larger booth space. 20 x 30. Turbo and I have been chatting and have a few things worked out. I am hoping that the space can include a storage and change area. Keep in mind that it isn't super secure during show hours as someone can open a curtain at any time and wander in from any side, however, I've never seen that happen in all the years we've had that sort of set up with the 501st. Just keep things contained in your bins so there are no easy grabs just to be safe. It WILL be secure to leave your bins there over night should you wish.

As we all know, Covid19 is a real concern. And while the virus itself is a concern, the bigger concern really is a convention being cancelled/postponed because of it. I'm sure you've all heard about ECCC postponing until the summer. Now, this is totally out of our control obviously, but let's keep each other informed about IF CCEE goes ahead, are you still going to come? Everyone needs to make decisions based on their own health, I just ask that you keep me updated so I know if we have enough people to man such a large space.

I've made a rough sketch of what I want to set up like. You'll note that I've included a couple of things that people have said they would be able to make - namely the big gun and 2 large cases from FlyinPhil and a weapons rack for the photo area that I believe I saw someone talking about in the chat. Can you please let me know if all of that is still a go?

Turbo and I thought it would be fun to involve the fans with some "inside" Halo jokes. The most obvious ones come a lot from RvB so we'd like to do things like have a "Protect me Cone" pylon and maybe an Andy for people to have pictures with. Things like this will also give us the opportunity to have some times without members in armor, if necessary, as we'll still have silly props. We can also move the big gun in to the photo booth for shifts of it's own.

I'm ordering a backdrop like we had at HOD for the photobooth area. I already have the hanging banner and a pop up banner. I'll be ordering print materials as well.

I need your help with the following:

1. Do we have ideas for content we could play on a TV that is NOT copyright stuff?
2. Are any of you willing to set up specific shifts to do demonstrations at the booth for working with foam etc.?
3. Can someone volunteer to bring bottled water?
4. Can someone volunteer to bring hand sanitizer and Lysol or Clorox wipes so we can wipe down the photobooth props?
5. Can someone please bring in a couple of garbage cans? Just small ones. One for the photobooth, one for the info table and perhaps one for the change room? We can take turns emptying them in the con garbage.
6. Jess - I believe that you said that you were going to be bringing floor mats - is that still a go? If so, what colour are they and how many are there? Are these the interlocking kind?

20200309_090532.jpg

Last edited:
For the (POW) Parade of Wonders you can register on the grounds or preregister. I suggest we preregister as the 405th in an official capacity. We may get to walk with Steve as they tend to sort out guests and such. Also we have the ability to carry a banner as other groups have in the past.

I will be there!

FANGS I will be at your disposal for anything that weekend. (Minus part of Sunday)
As for the dinner + parade, I wouldn’t mind teaming up with an Expo veteran to help plan and sort these out.

Last edited:
I will be there! I still need to book the time off work, but that shouldn’t be an issue.
As far as the booth goes, I will have my two big military cases ( we can stack other props on or around them) . I will also be finishing up construction of the reach mounted turret for people to touch and take pictures with.

My car will be pretty jam packed with that stuff as well as my armor and small prop guns, but if there is anything else that I can construct before then(within reason lol), let me know!

I will be there! I need to balance my time between 405th, Mando Mercs, 501st, and RL. BUT, I will try to put most of my time towards 405th this year, especially if my pass is partially sponsored with this group!

May I recommend some foam for our booth floor? My knees and back can't take standing for hours on concrete.

Regarding the parade and banner: do we have a smaller one, that is easier to manage/handle and walk with?

Yes, we should DEFINITELY pre-register as a group, for the parade.

SpartanProps I’m sure costumes are fine! I’ll be dresses up all weekend while at the booth, it merely adds to the fun.

Jedi Ranger maybe we could have someone bring a small camper chair in case someone needs to sit? Unless one or two chairs are provided with table space..

Jedi Ranger - I don't think we'll need the TV this year but thank you so much for the offer! I'm trying to avoid having to pay for power along with paying for all of the booth stuff but I may change my mind about that so that we have a spot for phone charging etc.

Still no volunteers to organize the Parade or a dinner? The only thing I can suggest is that we see if we can piggy back on to a dinner with the Star Wars groups. If that's cool with all of you, I can look in to that. If not, I will still need someone to take this on.

Jedi Ranger - I don't think we'll need the TV this year but thank you so much for the offer! I'm trying to avoid having to pay for power along with paying for all of the booth stuff but I may change my mind about that so that we have a spot for phone charging etc.

Still no volunteers to organize the Parade or a dinner? The only thing I can suggest is that we see if we can piggy back on to a dinner with the Star Wars groups. If that's cool with all of you, I can look in to that. If not, I will still need someone to take this on.
I'm less familiar with spots in downtown Calgary for food than I should be but I can take on our application for the parade.

I didn't know you did Daisy! That's awesome! Def need photos with ya!
Daisy had a short break due to a helmet issue but she's back in business now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back