Caltecs Hayabusa Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormy87

Jr Member
I've been lurking the 405th for months now and I have been working long and hard on my armor. My plan is to make a MkVI suit with multiple helmets. I started with a low Def MKVI hlem and it turned out all right.

01-22-09_2142.jpg

I just started to fiberglass it when I started the Hayabusa.

01-19-09_1331.jpg

I used Aqua Resin due to I live in an apartment in Wisconsin and it still isn't warm enough to use normal resin. It works good enough, but it gets kind of clumpy and is almost like paper mache. I will make a tut thread later that explains what happened.

Once I got it glassed I found out that I made it too small. So I had to dremel out the narow parts of the Helm and fill it in with Bondo.

03-03-09_1758.jpg

03-03-09_1959.jpg

This was my first attempt with bondo and i put it on too thick. I must stress that thin coats over time work wayyyyy better than thick ones. Once I could get the Helm on I sanded and fit a visor inside. Primed it, Painted, and Just recently added damage to it.

03-07-09_1505.jpg

03-11-09_2305.jpg

03-13-09_1421.jpg

03-28-09_2308.jpg

03-28-09_2309.jpg

03-28-09_2310.jpg

I am now 99.9% done with it. I know it is a little small and my chin sticks out. I am halfway through Glassing my torso, but I ran out of resin. I just ordered more the other day. I also pep'd my arms and am moving along pretty fast.

More to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty good man. Keep up the work. Imagining what the final suit and helms look like is just giving me the heart attack of seeing awsomeness. I give you a 6 out of 5

My friend said the helmet looked like it was ran over by a brute chopper.

Sorry for the bad pictures, I only have a cameraphone.

see i haddn't noticed the quality of the photos only that of the helm now i know its a C-phone i have noticed the picture quality noooos

nice helm

OMG!!!! That's a great helmet! :D
I was going to do a Hayabusa helm, but I think it looks WAY too hard! So I'm doing CQB instead :D

Great Battle Damage! Looks very realistic!

One of the best Hayabusa helms I've seen on 405th!

Keep up the good work!

=Ω24= Leyton

How Hard is it to use aqua resin? Im really not set up to handle regular resin, so ive been loking fore alternatives. Polyurethane is looking very promising, as is this aqua resin.

Bail Organa3 said:
How Hard is it to use aqua resin? Im really not set up to handle regular resin, so ive been loking fore alternatives. Polyurethane is looking very promising, as is this aqua resin.

Aqua resin is really easy to use. Mix 2 to 1 by volume and you get about 5 to 10 minutes of pot time. It isn't that good with fiberglass cloth but it works good with glass mat. I order my resin directly through them, so I don't need to get it at a retailer. I have an aqua resin tut video in the works so hang tight until then if you have more questions.

Thanks for the input guys.

I got my torso glassed and I am starting the bondo process.

04-04-09_1022.jpg

04-04-09_1023.jpg

04-06-09_1900.jpg

04-06-09_1859.jpg

04-07-09_1951.jpg

I should be done Bonding by next weekend. The hole in the chest is battle damage, I have big plans for my suit.

waterNIG said:
were did you cut???
I tried to just cut a side part off but I couldnt slide in cuz it warped, so i cut it in half. I am going to epoxy the side part on later. That why it looks wierd. Il get a picture of it later.

no it look alright...i was just wondering because idk were to cut mine...
any ideas???
btw nice work with the helmet cant wait to see how the chest works out

Sounds like an awesome project, with amazing results so far, if I do say so myself. Great start!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back