Can someone help me pick a Costume to try making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcgeek01

Righty-o, I think I still classify as a Recruit as I haven't exactly been active since joining last year. I am in desperate need of some suggestions with selecting a costume to create (Have I ever created a Costume, not exactly. My last project was destroyed by a relative who was being reckless) my previous project was a UNSC Halo 3 Marine armor (Chest region was atleast 65% completed), it was more of a practice run to see whether or not it sparked some interest in me.

It did.

However, I constantly find interests in at least completing a helmet... If anything.

What I have
- 3D Printer
- Tools (Maybe not all I need...)
- About a steady 50$ of monthly inflow
-Patience?
-Tend to Learn quickly

What I lack

-Travel Options (I don't exactly have a means of getting around)
-Help from People (Alone when working)
-Knowledge of how Forums work

What I understand

-Bondo (Somewhat)
-Fiber glassing
-Pepakura (Takes so long but the papercuts are worth it)
-Precision Activities (I paint Warhammer miniatures for Wargaming, also I'm making a custom Terrain)

What I need
-Idea on what to do..
-Maybe some more supplies.
-Space (Moving house, I can snatch some up

Curious about
-Metal Working
-Carbon Fiber
-Leather Working
-Tailoring
-Basically anything that has to do with hands
Tutorials appreciated

What Have I been interested in lately?
-Alien 2, Colonial Marines
-Halo marines
-ODST (Obviously)
-Warhammer (Eh... Not practical..)
-Practical roles to be

Currently Thinking of.

-Halo 3/reach Marine
-ODST?...
-Colonial Marine (If possible which I doubt)

Q. Would you upload pictures of the work?
A. Maybe...

Thankyou for reading
PS. If I posted into the wrong part of the forum (Or being here since 2015 and my Recruit status isn't approved anymore), how can I move this and I'm sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the biggest question for me too, so many editions of Halo and armour class types. I have not actually played the game (I know I know) but became hooked on the armour through watching red vs blue. My suggestion is just look at pictures until something resonates with you. I'm sure once you find the specific look then you can post a picture and someone here will know the specifics of the armour class and point you in the right direction.
As for managing the forums, that's a challenge to me too, don't worry the mods are on here often and will help gentle guide you if you mis-step.

That was the biggest question for me too, so many editions of Halo and armour class types. I have not actually played the game (I know I know) but became hooked on the armour through watching red vs blue. My suggestion is just look at pictures until something resonates with you. I'm sure once you find the specific look then you can post a picture and someone here will know the specifics of the armour class and point you in the right direction.
As for managing the forums, that's a challenge to me too, don't worry the mods are on here often and will help gentle guide you if you mis-step.

Oh well, that's fantastic to hear; truth be told I've always adored the marines/army but I honestly am not sure whether to try going for something like an ODST or spartan.. Or just simply keep to trying to make a Halo Marine, if so I'm just debating whether or not to use the new Marine pepakura files I found in the Archive :/

Thanks mate!

It is not advised to ask others to choose a costume for you.
You should decide it on your own, as you'll be the one making it.

- Palmer

PS. You might have joined in 2015, but you didn't have enough posts to count as full member.

I would be headbutting my desk right now if I had one... So if I was to choose... Marines catch my interests.. So I'm leaning towards ODST, Colonial Marine, Halo3/reach Marine which would appear the easiest out of those three?

I would be headbutting my desk right now if I had one... So if I was to choose... Marines catch my interests.. So I'm leaning towards ODST, Colonial Marine, Halo3/reach Marine which would appear the easiest out of those three?

I'd lean towards the Halo 3 and Reach marines being a bit easier based on the fact that you won't have to build a visor and there is slightly fewer armour pieces to build. That being said, if you have it narrowed down to those few you should just pick your favourite or go full ham if you don't know which of the 3 and roll a die to see what RNJesus says.

i would decide on what you want to build what you want to have the most.If money is a problem just take it slow it doesnt have to be done fast and if skill is a problem hard projects teach the fastest

I'd lean towards the Halo 3 and Reach marines being a bit easier based on the fact that you won't have to build a visor and there is slightly fewer armour pieces to build. That being said, if you have it narrowed down to those few you should just pick your favourite or go full ham if you don't know which of the 3 and roll a die to see what RNJesus says.

Welp then I'll try making a UNSC Marine... now to decide on two things... Reach... Or Halo 3... Hmmm... Which one?
I'm alittle familiar with the Halo 3 marine

You may have noticed during your time here that we really discourage people from telling you what you should build. You ask a hundred people on the internet and you will get a hundred and one answers. When really your opinion is the only one that matters.

Your first thought was "Currently Thinking of. -Halo 3/reach Marine" So I would recommend exploring that. First look at other people who have made the Halo3 and Reach Marine. Maybe decide which one you think looks better in real life. Then come up with pros and cons for it's creation and adornment to see if it is really the armor you want to make. Ask people who have built them. My input is that the marine is a good first suit because it is not overly complicated which means less effort and knowledge to make it look good.

I also do leatherworking. If you want to ask me about the process feel free to PM me.

I made a Halo 3 Marine and modded it in to a naval pilot, I can say it's good fun to build and allows for a lot of customization.

I agree with CommanderPalmer and PerniciousDuke. Whatever you decide to build needs to be your decision, not someone else's. Many of these projects end up being very long term builds. I've been working on my own for ~3 years. If you're not 100% behind your project you'll just end up frustrated and drop it.

Hm.. Well once I complete this move I'll start again by seeing if I can do a Marine helmet.. If I have additional questions I'll certainly ask. Thankyou guys, means alot!

It seems as though you have your mind made up but I think it is perfectly fine to ask "what should I make?" and I think it's good to start with the marine. I assume a lot of people have made it so you'll have a lot of help. When I initially read your question I thought you should do ODST only because I know a lot of people have made ODSTs. If you get through your marine and absolutely hate it then maybe there is something else you would like to try. If anything it'll be practice or something cool to show off!

Wicked! So I'm feeling confident with myself once again. I learnt good methods over my armor which the front plate actually seems to be in good condition, compared to my mistakes with the shoulder guards and the utterly ruined back piece. In fact once we get set up into our new house tomorrow, I will see if I can obtain some hard A4 paper (Craft paper right, I can't remember the name) I'll just restart on the Pepakura.

Oh does anyone know how to apply bondo for the chest piece, thankyou.

Glad to hear! Keep us posted and show us what you get up to. :)

I don't live on that side of the water, but I've heard Cm Palmer say that she uses 250g weight paper. And I know she uses on the slightly thicker side. I believe you can go as low as 220g.

Alright, just started unpacking in the new house... Everything is in abit of a shambles so I guess I'm going to have to be patient until I can finally get started. Not sure when.

Don't rush......I've said it many a time: Think of this as a marathon and not as a sprint. Pace yourself and don't rush. People take as much as several months to over a year or more to complete a suit, be it foam or pep. get yourself situated, and then plan out you suit and begin. No use building when you have no space to do so.....And welcome to the 405th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back