Can we get a Classical music thread going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S1l3nt V1p3r

Sr Member
I dedicate this thread to all the composers who make wonderful music to the world. Let's share our favourites, folks. ;)

Chopin Prelude No. 15, "Raindrops".

*EDIT*

Oops, I thought I posted this in the General Discussion Forums. Can we get a move?

Last edited by a moderator:
love this song, it's from the halo 3 diorama commercial

Probably the best piece for a single piano ever: Nymans "The heart asks pleasure first". This one's with strings though, couldn't find the solo version on Youtube:

Great idea!! I am more partial to "epic" classical etc. Immediate, Es posthumus,clint mansell etc.

Top songs though on my playlist are
Surface of the sun
Breath and life
Escape
mind hiest

Did you catch this girl on America's Got talent. perfect...better IMO than Brightman

In terms of "epic classical" I can recommend "Heart of Courage" from "Two Steps from Hell", which many of you may know from the Mass Effect 2 launch trailer. With that, even cutting out pepakurapieces can become an adventure of unworldly magnitude :)

Here:

YES!!!! I knew I wasn't the only one to listen to classical music! I have a LONG list of favorite classical/film score pieces
-Anything by James Horner is genius. Avatar is his latest work:

-Pirates of the Caribbean was Hans Zimmers best work, but his scores are almost always entertaining. Here's one you may or may not have heard before:

-Marty O'Donnell doesn't get the recognition he deserves, but you've all heard him before.
-John Williams is good but overrated IMO.
-Aaron Copland is a master, particularly "Appalachian Spring", but it's too long to post here, unfortunately.
- I love Elmer Bernstein's score to "The Great Escape" and "The Magnificent Seven" Look them up if you haven't heard them!

That's just me rambling at random, I'll stop before I get carried away.

Jazz master race. Anyone know exactly what genre this song is? It's like a mixture of classical and jazz.

Great idea for a discussion! Like Ben-B023, I prefer my classical music to be "epic". Here is a bit of one of my favourites, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana as used in the movie Excalibur:

I LOVE Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score. There is NO score more epic, more emotional, more awesome than his score.

I LOVE Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score. There is NO score more epic, more emotional, more awesome than his score.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion (especially with regards to music), if the musical score from the "Transformers" movie is the "most awesome, emotional, and epic" classical music that you have ever heard, I would respectfully suggest that you expand your horizons to include composers outside of the "Modern Michael Bay Sci-Fi Movie" genre... ;)

Just as an observation, I think that it's interesting that the majority of pieces mentioned thus far are either recognized from, or have been composed for, modern films or video games. I strongly suggest some time with the true classics - while it may sound trite, there are reasons why Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Mozart, etc., etc. are still studied, performed, and instantly recognizable across the globe. When I was in school (yes - music major), the running joke was the number of people whose main exposure to "classical" music was from the Looney Tunes cartoons (if you don't know what I mean, look up "The Rabbit of Seville"). It's interesting to see how times have changed and the media that people are exposed to dictates the type of music they associate with "classical" music...

It's actually entertaining to watch the shift. :)

I LOVE Steve Jablonsky's Transformers score. There is NO score more epic, more emotional, more awesome than his score...

I don't mean to pile on here, but I have to agree with Dogwizard's response to this one. You really ought to expand your musical horizons a bit before you make a claim such as you have.

I mean, the 1812 Overture (by Tchaikovsky) has 16 cannon shots written into the score! In order to play this piece of music properly, you need a freaking cannon! How awesome is that?

(Not the best musical quality, but you'll get the idea.)

Guys , I think Jablonsky's score of Arrival is beautiful and epic also. And yes most of us don't listen to classical...classical. However I am 25 and I am listening to more and more. To give you an insight into how "open" I am with my music here is my favs close(or not) to that genre if you will:

Immediate
Two steps from hell
Bond "Girls"
David Garrett
David Nevue
Edvin Marton-Bittersweet Symphony
John Murphy, Jablonsky, O' donnell, Williams, zimmer, badelt, etc
(sunshine, arrival, haloooo, ....)
Within Temptation
Fireflight
Enya
Jackie Evancho(america's got talent)

Now I prefer to listen to Classical from the likes of Beethoven etc but redone with Guitar or a remix of sorts. Some are horrid and others are great!

PS-Just ordered the REACH soundtrack. They earned my money ;)

halo reach-ashes

Kat's death song (1:10)

It's okay, grab a kleenex.

I don't mean to pile on here, but I have to agree with Dogwizard's response to this one. You really ought to expand your musical horizons a bit before you make a claim such as you have.

I mean, the 1812 Overture (by Tchaikovsky) has 16 cannon shots written into the score! In order to play this piece of music properly, you need a freaking cannon! How awesome is that?

(Not the best musical quality, but you'll get the idea.)
No matter what I do, where I listen to this, or how I'm feeling, when ever hear this song, I see parliment exploding.

Just as an observation, I think that it's interesting that the majority of pieces mentioned thus far are either recognized from, or have been composed for, modern films or video games. I strongly suggest some time with the true classics - while it may sound trite, there are reasons why Beethoven, Bach, Wagner, Mozart, etc., etc. are still studied, performed, and instantly recognizable across the globe.

Interesting... I hadn't even noticed.

I suppose that one big reason for that are the images you associate with the music. If you hear a movie theme, you probably remember how awesome the movie was, see the actors, re-live the action, so to speak. However, when they think of Beethoven, many people see old men wearing wigs and tail coats or remember being forced to sit in a theatre for an hour at a young age and watch the bows move back and forth.

Another reason, at least for me, is really simple: Sound. Movie scores usually have a clear and rich sound, whereas many classical pieces I've heard, even directly from a CD, sounded like 50 year old crap (some actually were that old...). I don't want to generalise this, but I had to listen to about ten different recordings of Beethoven's 9th, for example, until I found one that had no crackling, no noise and wasn't totally remixed, re-digitalised and to death.

By the way, Beethoven's 9th would be one of the truly classical pieces I can recommend ;-)

Classical music is no more at home than in a movie set in its period. The 2003 movie Master and Commander, is a perfect example of this. It contains period pieces that accompany the setting and drama of the age of sail perfectly. If you haven't watched the movie I highly encourage you to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back