Can we sell our completed Halo armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damarius101

Jr Member
I was wondering about this the other when I was talking to my friend about the ODST armor im making. Halloween is coming up and he said that if i could make a pull for him of my armor he would totally buy one from me for 200 dollars. Some other people that were listening showed interest in buying pulls as well. If i could make a mold somehow (without breaking the bank), this Halloween me and my campus buddies could totally win the best Halloween costume contest, and I could make some serious cash while at it.

But the only thing is, can we sell this stuff to people without Microsoft getting mad? And what about the people that make the Pep files (if used)? I know they make them for free, but can you turn around and sell something to people that they provided free of charge? Seems like there would be an issue somewhere here. Any feedback would be appreciated (hope this is the right place to put this thread).

As long as you don't sell it as "official microsoft/bungie made" etc. You'll run into legal issues very quickly like that, especially if your doing star wars. The second key to all of this, is MAKE your own suit, don't recast anyone elses work or anything that is officially made in the future.

And it's going to cost more than $200 in materials to cast one suit in Smoothcast FYI.

That's not including the $2000 worth of silicone to mold it or the materials to build the original or the mother molds. You might be able to do it with latex molds and rondo casts but that requires it's own time-intensive molding process and if you're gunning for halloween I don't think it will happen.

The key to anything though is do not mass-produce. A handful is cool. A hundred is not.

MIght sound a bit harsh but when you have to commit this many resources to a project, you need to know how deep the water is before you jump in head-first.

On the 405th side of things we don't allow "open store" kind of sales (405th does not sell armor is not a armor store etc.). If you have an item already made that you are looking to sell, you may post a thread in the classifieds.

And it's going to cost more than $200 in materials to cast one suit in Smoothcast FYI.

That's not including the $2000 worth of silicone to mold it or the materials to build the original or the mother molds. You might be able to do it with latex molds and rondo casts but that requires it's own time-intensive molding process and if you're gunning for halloween I don't think it will happen.

The key to anything though is do not mass-produce. A handful is cool. A hundred is not.

MIght sound a bit harsh but when you have to commit this many resources to a project, you need to know how deep the water is before you jump in head-first.

On the 405th side of things we don't allow "open store" kind of sales (405th does not sell armor is not a armor store etc.). If you have an item already made that you are looking to sell, you may post a thread in the classifieds.

Well I never said i was going to be "mass producing them." And I havent jumped into anything yet, that would not only be foolish, but downright naive. A few friends want costumes for halloween and are willing to pay me. $2000 dollars is well out of my range however, I didnt think it would be that hard to make a mold, but i guess silicone is expensive. Theres got to be a cheaper way to do it without resorting to latex and rondo. I know you guys have done the research, but im gonna keep looking. My construction friends might be able to help.

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated.

Im about to attempt creating a chest piece mold with silicone caulk. Costs >2$. Ill post once Ive made the attempt and announce the results. Itll be a couple days, Im about to get a visor into my ODST helmet and finish it up first.

Im about to attempt creating a chest piece mold with silicone caulk. Costs >2$. Ill post once Ive made the attempt and announce the results. Itll be a couple days, Im about to get a visor into my ODST helmet and finish it up first.

Hmm, from my research, using caulk silicone for something the size of a chest piece might not turn out to well. It's not that it can't work, its that it's going to be very hard to pull off. I don't have my Thurston jame's book on me at the moment, but what I do remember from him talking about it, is that it's good for small pieces for on the fly casting. Considering the average size of a chest piece still being significantly larger then the small pieces he suggests/uses as an example, I'd say that it might not be worth it in the long run. Biggest issues being that it'll be flimsy as heck and you have to carefully apply it to make it cure.

I'm not knocking your idea of trying it out, but I'd say just to save up the money you can potentially waste buying many tubes of the caulk.

any one ever successfully cast using a lot of plaster?

Yes, you can, but I'll tell you, you better start lifting weights. Me and a buddy awhile ago did a SMALL mold of a emperor palpitine statue. It was a two-part plaster mold, and was no bigger than I'd say a shoe box. Aside from properly mixing the water to plaster ratio, the thing was HEAVY. The mold had to be at least 20-25lbs by itself. The thing about plaster is that you cannot drop it or miss-handle it.

It's a good, cheap way of molding, but you gotta be able to properly move it around!

Sigma is very right, it's certainly not going to be easy, but it is totally possible. The most expensive way to mold and cast is with smooth-on, it's even more expensive when you use high-grade silicone like DragonSkin. However, that's not the only route. Rvb18's tutorial over silicone caulk molding is excellent, and shows how molding can be done on a budget. TubaChris is also correct though, a large piece could be troublesome. In my opinion, caulk casting could be possible for many parts of a suit, including handplates, forearms, shoulders and even shins and boots. Honestly, the only pieces that could present real problems would be the helmet and chest piece. I think a big key in caulk casting is the mother mold, and how well it holds up. So long as the mold is durable, and the mother is solid, and the mold is easily removed from the master, I'd say you're in the clear. If you're seriously looking into this, I would try this method on an uncomplicated piece such as a handplate that doesn't require a mother mold. If the caulk has good durability, and holds up to a bunch of castings, look into a good mother mold material like Plasti-paste to use on more complicated parts like the forearms and shoulders. If that works, you may be in the clear! Of course, there's a bunch of if's here, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

But the only thing is, can we sell this stuff to people without Microsoft getting mad? And what about the people that make the Pep files (if used)? I know they make them for free, but can you turn around and sell something to people that they provided free of charge?

All cost issues aside, doing a small run and selling them to your friends on the "down low" would be okay, just don't get nuts and sout it out on the rooftops. There was a thread reecently on ethics of using pepped pieces to make a salable prop, kinda split deciecion on that it seems, thats a personal choice, but it is good reading if you search for it.

I was thinking of doing molds of my armor and making a few for friends too. Sooo plasti-paste is a decent mother mold material? How much does that usually run. Wouldn't mind trying a caulk method first and then going for the chest and helmet after getting the hang of it.

I love you guys... so much...

@J326, tubachris85x - good god that sounds like alot of work. but if its cheaper, well, i better start working out then. that seems like a totally reasonable trade-off to price. ill have some of the bros down the street help me out. thanks for the suggestion

@Arioch, HeavyGunner - this caulk idea sounds promising, but as you said, only for smaller pieces that would be easier to work with. so ill keep this silicone caulk in mind I might as well shell out the 100-200 dollars to make a mold of the helmet/chest piece by buying smooth-on, those pieces are them most essential to the armor.

@SLan972 - totally i feel you man, can you direct me to this thread? id totally love to have a look. im just really making it for my friends, and i hope they dont try to make pulls out of them (they wudnt know where to start tho, lol).

Sooo plasti-paste is a decent mother mold material? How much does that usually run.

Plasti-Paste I is $62 for a gallon kit, and Plasti-Paste II (the new and improved version) is $84 a gallon. I would ask around and find out if the extra $22 is worth it. Shipping will be killer, but that's a given when ordering molding supplies.

this caulk idea sounds promising, but as you said, only for smaller pieces that would be easier to work with. so ill keep this silicone caulk in mind I might as well shell out the 100-200 dollars to make a mold of the helmet/chest piece by buying smooth-on, those pieces are them most essential to the armor.

That's essentially what I was recommending. Try the caulk for the handplates, and use it for other pieces if it works well enough, but shell out the money for smooth-on when it comes to essential (large) pieces. Good luck with your project!

All cost issues aside, doing a small run and selling them to your friends on the "down low" would be okay, just don't get nuts and sout it out on the rooftops. There was a thread reecently on ethics of using pepped pieces to make a salable prop, kinda split deciecion on that it seems, thats a personal choice, but it is good reading if you search for it.

I believe you mean this thread. there were some pretty interesting arguments made, i remember following it.

As long as you don't sell it as "official microsoft/bungie made" etc. You'll run into legal issues very quickly like that, especially if your doing star wars. The second key to all of this, is MAKE your own suit, don't recast anyone elses work or anything that is officially made in the future.
But if we do sell it, what should we sell it as? And whose name should it be under?

I was wondering about this the other when I was talking to my friend about the ODST armor im making. Halloween is coming up and he said that if i could make a pull for him of my armor he would totally buy one from me for 200 dollars. Some other people that were listening showed interest in buying pulls as well. If i could make a mold somehow (without breaking the bank), this Halloween me and my campus buddies could totally win the best Halloween costume contest, and I could make some serious cash while at it.

But the only thing is, can we sell this stuff to people without Microsoft getting mad? And what about the people that make the Pep files (if used)? I know they make them for free, but can you turn around and sell something to people that they provided free of charge? Seems like there would be an issue somewhere here. Any feedback would be appreciated (hope this is the right place to put this thread).

Yes, you can, provided you obide to a few things. You can get into serious trouble if you do. Like court trouble.
1 Dont claim that you had built it if somone else made it.
2 Dont lable it as an official product of a company (Unless you own a company and/or have permission to sell it as set company.)
3 Dont sell it in the normal forum topics, you need to sel it in the classifieds, so you need a higher status.

Do all that and ur good!

Yes, you can, provided you obide to a few things. You can get into serious trouble if you do. Like court trouble.
1 Dont claim that you had built it if somone else made it.
2 Dont lable it as an official product of a company (Unless you own a company and/or have permission to sell it as set company.)
3 Dont sell it in the normal forum topics, you need to sel it in the classifieds, so you need a higher status.

Do all that and ur good!

Well done on the necro-post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back