Can you make a living at this? I need an honest opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth Knight

Alright, this isn't for the Halloween costumers. Can you make a living making costumes? I don't care where I'd have to live to do it, I just would honestly like an opinion if it's possible to have it as an occupation?

I know I'm the farthest from those in the 'Elite' sections, or the Hollywood quality that we know from our favorite shows, but I'm just asking if there is any of you that do this full time (I know Adam does, but that's just about the only that I have a confirmation on...).

So I'm just wandering if anyone knows of any professional studios that hire people with sub par (and still learning) costume designers, fabricators, and creators.

This isn't my only hope for getting out of the blue collar world (not saying there isn't anything wrong with it, most of my family works in factories, and I am currently, but it's something I don't think I'll be able to do mentally my whole life (I need to create... from start to finish.).

This is just one thing I want to do full time, it won't kill me if I can't, but it's on the top of my dream job lists.

Seth Lind

It might be possible, to be honest at my age there is no chance but if your still young you might be able to do it. But it will mean a lot of sacrifice on your part. When your not at work you'd need to be learning everything you can about the industry. That includes all the manufacturing techniques. Molding, tailoring, etc plus if you can the computer stuff as well. Also having experience using some of the equipment will help, like a cnc router, 3d printer, all the different hand tools and molding supplies. And moving to an area with a studio will help, they might be willing to take an apprentice if your willing to start at the bottom and work your butt off for next to no pay. Check out the show Face Off, that will give you a good idea of some of the things you will need to know. Plus some of them would be your direct competition for jobs.

First of all, don't quit your day job. I don't mean that as an insult, just as something that you will need. Look for a way to pay your base bills and keep it. Costuming is fickle and you might go two months without an order then get a dozen at once.

Secondly, make sure you have realistic expectations and calculations for how long it will take you to make everything. How ever long it takes, add another half.

Third, know how much it will cost to make something. This isn't the price you will sell it for, but it price of all the materials you will need. Don't go any lower than three times this number.

Fourth, make sure you keep your expectations based in reality about what you offer. If you can't make it, don't offer it. If you think you can make it, don't offer it until you have made it as a prototype. If you can make it, then offer it.

Finally, make sure that you really want to do this. The moment you start, if you stop for even a short time, you will have to do twice the amount of work to get your reputation back up to where it was previously.

I know this for a fact as my wife, my best friend, and I all have a business. We began with Star Wars costumes and hit a mild stall point with a particular costume. Once we get that one sold, it will be taken off the list. And, I am now looking at offering armors (Jedi and Sith) and weapons (PVC lightsabers). We have made about $300 on about $3000 worth of sales. The reason? Materials, shipping, and paypal fees.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Some of that money is left-over materials that I have made some interesting things out of. No matter how much you try to save, you will always have left over materials. That is what I use to make my own personal stuff out of.

Oh, and don't forget to ask your tax preparer about business taxes. You might have to pay them if you sell over a certain amount.

To be honest I am extremely grateful for the replies. I know it's a little 'dumb' (can't think of a better word at the moment) to think I'd be able to rely soley costume commissions, but it was a hope I could. Both of your replies is giving me the kick to get back into finishing my current project and to get a better perspective on this. I appreciate it. A Lot :)

-Seth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back