Canadian Spartan Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteRouge

Jr Member
After 2 years I hit the magic #60 post so I can do this in the right forum. I have been having trouble finding motivation so I hope posting my progess provides encouragment and a sense of urgency to finish it to show the people who will (hopefully) be following my progress.

This is my first test set of armour (minus the helmet) where I learned the ins and outs of fiberglass. I know it sucks but I've learned from my mistakes and my new armour will be much better. For the full story of my helmet go here (it was a low def Jedi Fraz turned high def through the magic of bondo. My Helmet

IMG_6793.jpg

Though only the helmet is fully completed the people at my high school (from which I recently graduated) loved it and I won a costume contest even.

103_0012.jpg

My dog (Jenny) didn't like the costume as much.

IMG_6797.jpg

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xKwBUfA12I[/media]

This is my new COD piece. I like the medium detail pep files then do all the detail with bondo since I find I can make modifications to the armour that make it more personal/customized. I also have trouble with larger pep models.

IMG_6958.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6960.jpg

Most of the detail is done. It just needs touch ups and some sanding before I begin the primer and paint. This scheme will be the exact same as the helmet, I hope :) .

The back pack is a more recent project and I have been having some trouble. This particular model is the 3rd I've created, the first one was too small, then too large, then perfect. But after I did some resining I left it outside to dry...and it rained. The moisture caused it to warp pretty bad so I had to add a bunch of supports and re-resin before the glassing. I hope it turns out.

IMG_6957.jpg

102_0401-1.jpg

102_0400-1.jpg

Those last couple of pics are just for sizing to see how it works. The chest/backpack is a bit big but being only 18 i'll probably grow a bit fatter.

Finished sanding, and first coat of primer. I noticed a lot of imperfections so I'm going to sand down through the primer and fix some spots. Looks good eh?

000_0047.jpg

000_0048.jpg

000_0049.jpg

000_0050.jpg

SoullessSin said:
Nice crotch :D

But I hope to see more updates! Looks good

Thanks, I get that alot, just kidding ;)

OK, now the COD has paint. 1st coat of 3.

000_0055.jpg

000_0057.jpg

I had some vid clips of a test way to smooth out recessed detail (something I have lots of trouble with) but I can't find them so I'll just type it. In recessed areas where it is hard to get sandpaper into the corners (and dremel tools don't exactly make things super smooth) I made a small batch of resin and used a little paintbrush to coat the unsmooth section in a shallow layer. Since resin is a liquid it takes the shape of its container and so fills in the small valleys and cracks. Then I sanded what I could. It seemed to work fine but its still not 100% smooth. The unsmooth parts should be hidden in the blackwash.

Anyone have any ideas on how to smooth really small recessed corners?

Last edited by a moderator:
looking awesome man i love the detail on the belt, what city are you from in alberta? i'm in calgary myself.

paradoxdj said:
looking awesome man i love the detail on the belt, what city are you from in alberta? i'm in calgary myself.

Thanks, I live just north of Grande Prairie in a small town of 3000 called Spirit River, but I'm moving to *gasp* Edmonton in the fall to go to University. Does this mean we have to hate each other or something like that? Because of dumb stereo types. Its kinda weird, I was talking to a guy on Call of Duty 4 today from Calgary on an MC server and that came up as well.

EliteRouge said:
Thanks, I live just north of Grande Prairie in a small town of 3000 called Spirit River, but I'm moving to *gasp* Edmonton in the fall to go to University. Does this mean we have to hate each other or something like that? Because of dumb stereo types. Its kinda weird, I was talking to a guy on Call of Duty 4 today from Calgary on an MC server and that came up as well.

sweet sweet, no we don't have to hate each other, my brother lives in edmonton so i don't mind the city. what course are you going there for? what school?

paradoxdj said:
sweet sweet, no we don't have to hate each other, my brother lives in edmonton so i don't mind the city. what course are you going there for? what school?

I'm going to the University of Alberta, taking first year engineering (just the general studies, I don't know which specific type I want to be yet).

Anyway, done painting: I think it matches the helmet pretty well.

image200907310006.jpg

image200907310007.jpg

image200907310008.jpg

image200907310011.jpg

image200907310030.jpg

I have an idea about how I'm going to put the thing on (because right now its very tight to squeeze over my hip bones. It requires cutting the COD in half and using clips to attach the 2 sides together. But if anyone has any tips or methods that work well, please post them here or send me a link or something.

I won a costume contest here in Edmonton (I moved here to go to University). PURE SPECULATION contest, it was sweet (won a DS game). I was also at the midnight release of ODST. I was petitioning for people not to buy it cuz the Chief isn't there.

100_0027.jpg

100_0055.jpg

100_0038.jpg

100_0039.jpg

EliteRouge said:
After 2 years I hit the magic #60 post so I can do this in the right forum. I have been having trouble finding motivation so I hope posting my progess provides encouragment and a sense of urgency to finish it to show the people who will (hopefully) be following my progress.

This is my first test set of armour (minus the helmet) where I learned the ins and outs of fiberglass. I know it sucks but I've learned from my mistakes and my new armour will be much better. For the full story of my helmet go here (it was a low def Jedi Fraz turned high def through the magic of bondo. My Helmet

[...]

Yay for Canadian SPARTANs and HALO 2 pep builds! :D

Nice to see someone else used that older model as I did. My own Mk VI helmet was based on Jedi Fraz's model turned high-def, just like yours. Cut out/inserted all the recessed details by hand, which was extremely time-consuming but very rewarding. Still haven't finished it quite yet, but it's getting there ;)

Btw, love the detailing and weathering you added to the new armour. Nice choice of colour, too. Looks like you got that pretty well close to the colouring on the MC's armour :)

I'm hoping to enter a few costume contests myself once my suit's done. Should win hands down :) lol

When I saw the first pics of the low res peices you were making I was like oh this is gunna stink. Then you absolutely blew my mind when I saw the final product. Good work.

motivational

The detail you added to the space diaper looks great! I like the weathering, mine did not come out as nice as yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back