Canadian Spartan Made (jedi Fraz High Def Helm Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AND....here is the finished set of gauntlets:

img5912dh2.jpg

img5913zb0.jpg

The white barb part of the velcro is epoxied into the gauntlet using Elmers Epoxy (you can pick it up at your local hardware store cheap). I also think that rubber cement might have worked and I should try it for future projects. The gloves are winter golf gloves (waaaaay to think to golf in though) and I'm thinking of picking up another pair so that i can sew some black cloth side velcro on in the 2 straight line pattern.

Any other questions about these don't hesitate to ask. They fit quit comfortable and are difficult to accidentally knock off.

*Elite*

droodles said:
Oh I'm so happy there's other members from canada. Seems like we're hard to come by on forums like these. Good stuff though. Wait to work those skillz. Lol
hey im from vancouver,canada but iim just starting my armor
helmet;waiting to paint
right shoulder piece; waiting to print
right forarms; waiting to resin+fiberglass
right handplate;waiting to resin+fiberglass
right thigh;waiting to print
right leg;waiting to print
right boot;waiting to print
torsso;waiting to print
pelvis;waiting to print
left shoulder piece:waiting to print
left forarms;waiting to resin+fiberglass
left handplate;waiting to resin+fiberglass
left thigh;waiting to print
left leg;waiting to print
left boot;waiting to print

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! Just found the site and I've just started pepping my stuff out. I'm in Edmonton and would appreciate any tips you can give me in the future if that's ok with you as it seems you know what you're doing

ChaseU said:
Nice work! Just found the site and I've just started pepping my stuff out. I'm in Edmonton and would appreciate any tips you can give me in the future if that's ok with you as it seems you know what you're doing

Hahahaha I guess it may seem like I know what I'm doing but mostly i've improvised from the stickied tutorials but if you want to PM me feel free.

Pics of completed helmet and assault rifle will be up soon !

I'm an idiot, but thats nothing new I guess. I decided to drill holes in the bondo to fit the lights in (bondo is drillable by the way) and I missed a mark bye 1/4 inch. You can see in the first picture that I had to repair it using more bondo then repaint that area. Originally I had it the green black colour but now it is solid black with silver like the game version (looks better with blue lights).

img5914pp1.jpg

img5917ei4.jpg

FULLY FINISHED JEDI FRAZ "HALO 2" MASTER CHIEF HELMET

img5938cv9.jpg

img5937iy3.jpg

It isn't all that heavy and its quite comfortable to wear with all the nice padding on the inside. Here are some shots of the inside workings. The pads are simply a piece of foam covered in some silky black cloth bought from Wal-Mart for a mere $6 (mom did most of the sewing there :)). I epoxied a piece of velcro onto the inside for each pad but they were not needed since the pads fit quite snuggly already. There is one pad for my chin that is quite thick which is veryyyy important since without it the front heavy helmet slides down my face so the master chief always seems to be looking down.

img5942py0.jpg

The visor was quite a challenge. First of all I had to buy it from a retail store rather than online (which is not that bad of an idea because you get to bring your helmet in and physically see if it fits. It did not cost any more than online though mostly because I live in Canada and shipping costs are crazy huge from the US right now (stupid Canadian $). To secure it in I PM'ed nearly everyone with a really good looking visor to see how they did it (some suggested epoxy, velcro, or just snapping it into place). I accumulated all these ideas and came up with my own system. You can see in this picture there are some mirror holders screwed into a block of wood on the top part of the brim (the wood is epoxied down) and on the bottom is a square of bondo with another holder. I secured the top parts first then fit the visor in, then screwed the bottom holder into the bondo to create a semi permanent holder. Now there is a mistake on the bottom because the bondo it too "thick" and the mirror holder doesn't hold the visor against the bottom (about a 1/4 inch gap). Its not that noticeable but it is there.

img5941ij9.jpg

I'm in grade 12 (a senior for all you crazy Americans) and going to school in this costume was the most amazing thing in the world. During the first block (when we have our spare) we sit in the student area and as all the little kids walk past they are all staring and gaping and it was great fun to see their reaction. My friends also really liked it, they said it was amazing that I put so much detail in and it looked so realistic. The other thing they said was that it was weird looking at me since they couldn't see my eyes, it sorta freaked them out. Walking down the senior high end was awesome as well, people turning their heads yelling out "hey Master Chief". I got a ton of compliments on how cool it looked. During lunch a bunch of little kids wanted to know everything about it...what it was made of, how heavy it was, how expensive, how long did I work on it, why didn't I make it out of steel???. I spend about 45 minutes answering a ton of questions it rocked. After lunch however some idiot girl comes along and smacks my visor for no reason, I don't even know who she was. When she hit it I heard a crack and I think the epoxy between the wood and underbrim came apart a bit. I was afraid that my rig for holding the visor was gonna come apart and then I was screwed, but it held and I cleaned off the hand print (stupid arrogent junior high idiots, no respect for the Master Chief lol).

In these pictures you might be able to see my face thru the visor but thats because of the high amount of condensation on the inside (note *always buy a fan to reduce condensation*)

img5944oj6.jpg

img5945ii2.jpg

img5946ja4.jpg

img5948xs2.jpg

img5949ij1.jpg

Also I didn't win the prize for best homemade costume or most original. It made me kinda sad since I spent so much time and money on it and everyone gave awesome comments (one secretary couldn't stop staring as I walked past the office). I mean i was beat out by a male stripper cop for most original (thats ..... something that makes me angry , like kittens covered in spikes). Anyway, that night out trick or treating was the same thing. Kids would walk across the street to get a good look and one kid even rolled down a car window and yelled "Its the Master Chief" as he drove by. Some middle age men had a good laugh when they recognized the master chief walking up their walk.

THANK YOU 405th this was by far the best costume ever!!!!

EliteRouge said:
Anyway, here is an assault rifle update: The one on the right is the regular size (I don't remember where I got this file but its beautiful :) ) while the one on the right is 9/10 as big. Once I made the first one it just felt awkward and a bit too bulky
its military equipment. Its supposed to be awkward and bulky. lol
Let's get this man into elite! c'mon guys this is intense armour!
yes I spelled armour like that because I'm Canadian

Thank you Vanalla for the recommendation to Elite status, that would be pretty cool. There are still some things I have to fix though before it looks totally game accurate. These include: the design on the visor (ie: dual visor), some rib tubing for the vents on the side of the jaw (right now there is some foam), and I don't have a battery strong enough to power all the lights yet. Maybe once I get those and finish the rest of the armour (i'm Canadian too :)) then I might be good enough for Elite.

Assault Rifle is incomplete. It was Garland's high def assault rifle resined, filled with foam, and a layer of bondo on the outside. It still needs to be smoothed and detailed.

That is one cool helm you got there, I also like the colour that you chose. You're alot further than me seeing as though my little girl sat on my last helm that I made. DOH.

Like the AR it's awsome, just remember to take your time.

pooper said:
Jedi Fraz helmet? wow, that's really good! AR is nice too... is that pep?

Yeah the AR is pep (Garlands file, its beautiful). Its a touch warped but I hope to eventually work that out. Yah Jedi Fraz's helmet required a lot of bondo detail but it was useful to learn how to use it. Next pieces should be quite a bit easier since I know kinda know what i'm doing.

EliteRouge said:
Yeah the AR is pep (Garlands file, its beautiful). Its a touch warped but I hope to eventually work that out. Yah Jedi Fraz's helmet required a lot of bondo detail but it was useful to learn how to use it. Next pieces should be quite a bit easier since I know kinda know what i'm doing.
Yeah, I learned a hell of a lot after my first helmet too... and all that bondo work you did... wow, you did an great job! Your next helmet will be amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back