Carpathia's Carter Build (picture heavy!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
Hello everyone. Glad that the forums are back up, but the new look and feel will take some getting used to.

Anyway, a lot of you may know of A1TD's Carter helmet and, if you've seen his thread, you've probably seen my build of that helmet....

DSC03927.jpg

Well, a few of you have been asking about the helmet and my Carter build in general, so I figured since the forums are back up, I'd go ahead and start a thread showing the build. Since the new forums will only allow 4 pictures per post, this will be a few posts long, so hold off on the replies until everything has been posted.

First, the helmet. I've gotten it resined, rondoed and it's in the process of being finished. The first thing I did after hardening it, was marking in red the parts that had to be modified (ie removed or lowered)...
DSC03946.jpg

DSC03951.jpg

DSC03948.jpg

(Continued on next post)

DSC03927.jpg

After sanding (and making holes in the helmet the filling them), this is what the first pass looked like...

DSC03990.jpg

DSC03989.jpg

And after the second pass, this is the current condition of the helmet...

DSC03993.jpg

DSC03994.jpg

(Continued on next post)

Last edited by a moderator:
The attachment is of my design and available at Ruze's Official Reach file thread (though he has not yet updated his OP) It is currently resined and ready for rondo hardening...

DSC04003.jpg

The shoulder pieces came next. I used Rundown's files for this. They have been pepped, resined and rondo hardened. They are currently ready for a coat of primer...

DSC03931.jpg

DSC03957.jpg

DSC03955.jpg

(Continued on next post)

After the stock shoulders came Carter's custom shoulders. These are files of my own design also available at Ruze's Official Reach file thread. After seeing a few videos and the life-size statue of Carter, I've come to realize that the right shoulder piece is not very accurate. This will be fixed in the future, but for the sake of getting the outfit done by launch date, I'm going to finish it as is. The right shoulder is pretty much ready for priming, I just have to create a back panel. The left shoulder is resined, rondo hardened and in the process of being smoothed...

DSC03953.jpg

DSC03954.jpg

DSC03958.jpg

DSC04004.jpg

(Continued on next post)

The forearms are also Rundown's files. They have been built without modifications. They are currently resined and ready for rondo...

DSC04005.jpg

DSC04006.jpg

Last, I managed to get the torso piece pepped and partially resined. Unfortunatly, while the resin was curing, it started to rain and the piece was ruined. I'm not terribly upset about this as I admit, the piece was a bit big, as you can see...

DSC04001.jpg

So that's it for now. I'm still in the process of working on all of this and will keep this thread updated. Please, let me know what you all think.

I'll be going to the release with or without the armor. I really want to go with the armor though, otherwise it will just be a room decoration.

Thanks for the comments so far. I've been a little busy repepping the torso section. I decided to take a few extra steps to ensure the strength of the final product. I decided to back the larger pieces with 1/2" foam core and the smaller pieces that need reinforcement with 1/4" foam core. Here's a quick glimpse...

DSC04007.jpg

DSC04011.jpg

Here's what the inside of this reinforcement looks like...

DSC04012.jpg

And how it looks from the outside...

DSC04013.jpg

(Continued on next post)

I managed to make quite a bit of headway tonight. I figure that I'm about 45% done pepping the torso. Here's where I'm at now...

A picture of the inside...
DSC04018.jpg

And the outside...
DSC04017.jpg

I've got to say that using the foam core is really helping the quality of the pep. The piece dosen't flop around as I add pieces and it retains its shape when I set it down. I figure I can get this done by Thursday and have it resined this weekend, maybe even hardened. As always, let me know what you think.

Edit: In case no one noticed, this isn't Rundown's file. It's actually my unfold of L3X BLU3R1V3R's file available at Ruze's Official Reach Thread.

Ok, so I'm at my grandparents for the week, and, with the lack of an Xbox to entertain me, I usually get a lot of pepakura stuff done here. I am planning on doing the same carter helmet you did, but I have a few questions for you. First off, during the scaling, I was gonna scale from the bottom of my chin to the top of my head, how many more milimeters would I need to add for it to be an acurate fit? Second, what does the red markings mean when you colored them on in the begining?

Thanks! And great work!

I usually figure about 1/2" to 3/4" for padding (that equates to about 13mm to 19mm added to your head height). When I measure from my chin to the top of my head, I'm at about 28cm. All helmets I make for myself (with few exceptions) are 30cm, or 300mm.

As for the red markings, those are the areas that were inaccurate and needed heavy modification. You can see what I did to them by looking at the pictures. The two ridges on the top of the helmet are too tall and not needed in the front or the back. This is verified by looking at Adam's and Crackhead's reference pictures. Other areas needed slight modification too, but the ridges were the most severe.

I usually figure about 1/2" to 3/4" for padding (that equates to about 13mm to 19mm added to your head height). When I measure from my chin to the top of my head, I'm at about 28cm. All helmets I make for myself (with few exceptions) are 30cm, or 300mm.

As for the red markings, those are the areas that were inaccurate and needed heavy modification. You can see what I did to them by looking at the pictures. The two ridges on the top of the helmet are too tall and not needed in the front or the back. This is verified by looking at Adam's and Crackhead's reference pictures. Other areas needed slight modification too, but the ridges were the most severe.

Hey thanks, I'll probably get started on this soon, and hopefuly get some pics up. So the ridges are too tall? Ok, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back