Carrying Weapon Props In Public

Status
Not open for further replies.
lordzoabar said:
haha! can anyone say "Wal-Mart Run"? :p Only person you gotta worry about there is the greeter :D

Except the wal-mart where i live here in fishkill only one walmart for like 40 miles i think well the point is theres cops stations at each entrance so no guns for me maybe the plasma sword and a couple needlers

Last edited by a moderator:
guys.... i believe in my 2nd ammendment rights. and if someone points a gun at an "unarmed" man I have all american, human, or otherwise rights to do my civil duty.

lordzoabar said:
haha! can anyone say "Wal-Mart Run"? :p Only person you gotta worry about there is the greeter :D

haha that is EXACTLY what i was hinting at haha. the wal-mart run is a CLASSIC lol

this is haji said:
lol speaking of women with guns. When i was 10, a Female officer pulled me over on my bike because i was riding to fast. I got off with a moderate yell " HEY! YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN OR ILL TAKE YOU HOME"

^ /off topic

haha nice. i had a cop pull me over when i was on my bike leaving from work, i was on a the main street of my city and i was going so fast i was passing cars, and so the cop gave me a good yelling at, and said if he caught me doing that again he would fine me as though i was driving a car hahaha it was epic.

my friends and i have had guns pulled on us by cops for no reason at all. being pulled over for missing a stop sign and the guy comes to the car, gun drawn, and starts yelling about 'get out of the car or i'll put a round in you' there really isn't much you can do without proof. it sucks but if you weren't hurt then you might as well let it go

Timothy Rodowicz said:
my friends and i have had guns pulled on us by cops for no reason at all. being pulled over for missing a stop sign and the guy comes to the car, gun drawn, and starts yelling about 'get out of the car or i'll put a round in you' there really isn't much you can do without proof. it sucks but if you weren't hurt then you might as well let it go

Wow, that's pretty serious!

Remind me not to move anywhere near you.

I fear for my life...

Timothy Rodowicz said:

sound harsh... anyway, im pretty sure that it would have counted as murder if they did open fire. there was no reason for them to have guns drawn in the first place.

Cops seem to always handle minor situaions in over exagerated ways. Kinda like the the murderer serving less time in jail than the guy who accidentally shot himself in the foot

another story to add: Got caught on top of a old publix. Me and the youngest of group were handcuffed... I also got threatened for being charged for 2nd or 3rd? degree murder if something happend to kid. One of the officers were giving me a really harsh stare, and gave a breif friendly gesture - a smile and he got an attitude

Before i signed off my offial certificate of bad@ss ..... i mean trespassing warrant, Sherrif grabbed me and said " I know this one is gonna be back!"

Alright, lets cut down with bashing of the men and women in blue

Im assuming the law will vary state to state. i earge everyone to stay safe and use common sense when it comes to this matter.

- Dont point your prop at anyone (treat it as a real weapon) especially the police, even though they realize its fake, its going to piss em off

- Try your best to maintain muzzle control

- Dont openly carry a prop weapon if the place and time is not appropriate (Store it in a bag or case till it's safe to display)

- Its also illegal to operate a vehicle with a obstruction on your face (Keep helmets off). Not alone its going to impair your vision

If any you guys didnt have a problem with carrying a prop BR, smg ... and so on, please share. If you have any legal take, please post. Id really like a set in stone answer

Id really like to carry a BR on me whenever the Halo Reach realease is but due to my previous experince waiting in line for a game release, im leaning not to

Timothy Rodowicz said:

There might be reasons for that though, maybe a car similar to yours was used in a crime, or is being watched. My dad got pulled over once because he did something, I think it was as pointless as he didn;t use a turn signal when switching lanes or something. I forgot exhatly wat it was. The cop looked the car over real close, he was probably using it as an excuse to check that it wasn't a car on watch.

(yes you are going to get some women that shouldn't even be given power to brush their own teeth, but the same goes for men as well),

Perfect examples, Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton

In all reality, they have a job to do & why make it an issue?

What I try to do is be as pro-active as I can: As soon as I get there I got right up to the cops and tell them/show them everything.

Every time they have been cool about it. Don't give them a reason to be suspicious and don't make their job harder then it already is I suppose

Heck, at the Halo 3 launch a couple were fooling around with some of them as I was getting dressed up - lol

(these are from H2:)

1_With_Cops.jpg

NewYorksFinest2.jpg

gakkengod said:
guys.... i believe in my 2nd ammendment rights. and if someone points a gun at an "unarmed" man I have all american, human, or otherwise rights to do my civil duty.

There's probably some reason a gun is pointed at you. Its not your civil duty to oppose an offer and that reason will never pass by in courty if you assualt a lawman

Deveastator... Unfortunately thats not the resposnse i recieved from the police, Just stood in line as people snapped pictures with their camera phones

playdohlord said:
Perfect examples, Nancy Pelosi and Hilary Clinton

I logged in only to add "QFT" to that, thanks.

I made a 2d Ar with a 3d ammo display that was non-fuctional and i got in serious trouble for it even though it wasn't painted

The simple fix is to have carried the replica with a piece of CPVC attached to the end, painted orange.

Alternatively, if you have an obvious prop weapon, with massive futuristic parts, take orange electrical tape, and wrap it around the barrel to an inch and a half from the tip. Then, carry it with you the whole time to show that you're simply in costume, carrying totally fake props, and meaning no harm to the people around you.

It's worked for A-kon-goers, and that's really all I can say on that.

It was wrong for you to have had a gun pointed at you, but I can see why they'd search you. People are still touchy about that stuff... It's like going dressed as a Nazi. People will assume you're bad if you act too serious.

In the United States:

A law requiring that a "toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm shall have as an integral part, permanently affixed, a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of such toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm" was passed as Section Four of the Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988 (PL 100-615). The law provided for alternative markings if the orange plug could not be used.

Makes it unlawful to manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transfer, or receive any toy or imitation firearm which does not have a marking approved by the Secretary of Commerce. Requires each such toy or imitation firearm to have a blaze orange plug inserted in its barrel as a permanently fixed and integral part. Provides for alternate marking and exceptions in certain instances. -Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988 (Library of Congress)

Sources: http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1738/Firearm-Laws-Regulations-Ordinances-TOY-GUNS.html

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d100:SN01382:mad:@@L&summ2=m&|TOM:/bss/d100query.html|

It is a Federal offense to be in public with a look alike firearm, without any markings designating it as such. I personally use orange reflectives whenever I go public with my Nerf props or otherwise.

gakkengod said:

Depends. It is not your civil duty to shoot that man, but perhaps to prevent him.

The Constitution States:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Prop weapons are not:

• Part of a well regulated Militia
  • Necessary to the security of a free State
  • Armaments

and are therefore not arms, and must fall into the category of either imitation firearms, or intricate clubs.

this is haji said:
There's probably some reason a gun is pointed at you. Its not your civil duty to oppose an offer and that reason will never pass by in courty if you assualt a lawman

I never said assault. but a citizen's arrest is in my rights.

Depends. It is not your civil duty to shoot that ban, but perhaps to prevent him.

also on that note they'll treat it as armaments. Im not bashing out men in blue however I am against the cocky arrogant Sob's that abuse their power with their flashy metal badges.

Sith I know the laws and agree with them completely. but UNARMED is what my original concern was. I do know they have to have the orange cap. but at the same time could you not put an orange cap on a real firearm just as easily?? case in point brandishing weapons is never nessicary or permitted. but do not quote anything in the constituion, law men now do not care to listen.

you raise very valid points, and if you would like to discuss this matter further feel free to message me, as i feel it might be an interesting topic of conversation

and $#!Tty deal about not being able to dress up on days other than halloween =(. though, you oculd always do what a lot of people on here do, and randomly dress up and walk around in public just to see what kind of reactions you get . those are always interesting times... but also the times where it is most important to have that orange cap on any prop fire arms

My connection is not exactly stable (it's like a boat in a storm. It goes up, down and under^^), so lengthy conversation would be a bit hard. And sorry if I responded a bit too harsh. I've been reading too much EncyclopediaDramatica I'm having a man-period of sorts I think. I was thinking about starting some such topics in the general discussion though. And yes, it's a real rotten deal not being able to dress up. I'll probably make a costume that covers the face:p.

a look alike firearm, without any markings designating it as such

Lol!

1269448127214.jpg

Hey guys, here's something funny. Could you imagine a pair of cops trying to arrest a Judge Dredd and Robocop in some 'con? It'd be epic. Especially if the Dredd dude shouted the famous "I am the law!" line.

Sithslayer78 said:
In the United States:

A law requiring that a "toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm shall have as an integral part, permanently affixed, a blaze orange plug inserted in the barrel of such toy, look-alike, or imitation firearm" was passed as Section Four of the Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988 (PL 100-615). The law provided for alternative markings if the orange plug could not be used.

Makes it unlawful to manufacture, enter into commerce, ship, transfer, or receive any toy or imitation firearm which does not have a marking approved by the Secretary of Commerce. Requires each such toy or imitation firearm to have a blaze orange plug inserted in its barrel as a permanently fixed and integral part. Provides for alternate marking and exceptions in certain instances. -Federal Energy Management Improvement Act of 1988 (Library of Congress)

Sources: http://www.libraryindex.com/pages/1738/Firearm-Laws-Regulations-Ordinances-TOY-GUNS.html

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d100:SN01382:mad:@@L&summ2=m&|TOM:/bss/d100query.html|

It is a Federal offense to be in public with a look alike firearm, without any markings designating it as such. I personally use orange reflectives whenever I go public with my Nerf props or otherwise.

Pretty much the legal terms of what I just said. Again, bright orange e-tape does wonders. I've seen so many people using it without issue. Best part is, it's removable and leaves no residue, so when you get home, just strip the tape off and your prop is good as new.

sigh*... c'mon, making references to 4chan haha?

thanks for the input sithslayer. I havent seen a thread like this on the forums. Can we revise this and make a sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back