Cheaper alternative to smooth-on? new visor method? NO F-ING WAY MAN........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Razer

Jr Member
Have any of you have ever used PolyTek products?

from the vids iv seen they work well, if not as well as smooth-on products just slightly cheaper.

so if you are trying to go cheap and save the greenbacks then splurge on polytek products.

I also have another idea for making tinted visors for helmets.

a company called TapPlastics has a crystal clear casting resin as well as transparent dyes for said resin.

if one was to make a mold of the visor to be made he could then just pour a clear or tinted visor instead of having to vacuform it.

LINKS:

PloyTek Molding Suplies:
PolyTek Mold-making Suppliers

TapPlastics:

Tap Plastics Mold-making and Hobby Suppliers

Clear Casting Resin:

Clear Casting Resin (FOR MAKING VISORS)

Transparent Dyes:

Dyes for use with Clear Casting Resin (FOR MAKING VISORS)

MEKP Catalyst:
MEKP Catalyst for use with clear casting resin

hope this helped some of you out there looking for a cheaper alternative to smooth-on products and those looking to make their own see-through visors.

-Josh

It looks like the liquid plastic is about the same price as Smooth-On's, but the molding supplies look a LOT cheaper. Nice find.

well the crystal clear one is but some of PloyTek's plastics are a little cheaper.

im anxious to see if the crystal resin works on visors.

You have to be very careful working with clear casting resins. Unlike resins like smoothcast, they are not non toxic. In fact, they are so dangerous they are recommended for strictly industrial applications. I had looked into this method and it seems feasible, but dangerous.

Woah, that's pretty extreme:S I work with a lot of industrial-use-only products and as long as you read the instructions and MSDS then you know everything you need to perform the application of the product safely and effectively. Do you know what kind of dangers one is looking at when it comes to clear casting resins?

I was under the impression that smooth-on's was toxic as well? Alumilite makes a non-toxic clear resin (I'm pretty sure) but it's not the greatest product. quick cure times make it hard ot remove air bubbles. but it's worth a shto.

Which is pretty bad.
Do outdoors with plenty o' protection.

Interesting finds, good to know about.

I was under the impression that smooth-on's was toxic as well? Alumilite makes a non-toxic clear resin (I'm pretty sure) but it's not the greatest product. quick cure times make it hard ot remove air bubbles. but it's worth a shto.
Smooth-On definitely is toxic before it has cured. Too many people think they do not need to use a respirator because they are confused with the Smooth-On final product being non-toxic vs. the chemicals you mix to produce it.

Also, the clear casting resin linked in the first post requires a 2 hour post cure at 250 degrees fahrenheit. You will contaminate your oven if you tried to do it there. Plus, a regular oven would not work that great because of the temperature swings.

According to the MSDS documents, a respirator is not needed. http://www.smooth-on.com/msds/files/SMOOTH-CAST_320,_321,_322.PDF

However, using one won't hurt.
Information pertaining to particular dangers
R20: Harmful by inhalation
R36/37/38: Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin
R40: Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect
R48/20: Harmful; danger of serious damage to health by prolonged exposure through inhalation

Section 8 - Exposure Controls / Personal Protection
... wear an MSHA/NIOSH or European Standard EN149 approved respirator
Use a respirator. If you want to have more fun, look up the effects of inhalation of Methylene bis(phenylisocyanate) vapors. Instant death, though unlikely, is one of them, really.

Use a respirator. If you want to have more fun, look up the effects of inhalation of Methylene bis(phenylisocyanate) vapors. Instant death, though unlikely, is one of them, really.

Missed that part. However, in Section 8, it claims that a respirator is not needed....I hate it when documents contradict themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back